McGee and Clements

Ramius

that TD wants to lock him up now so he can make a decision on clements after the season? Lets look at the way TD has managed teams now and in the past. I feel that by locking McGee up right now, TD is this season to judge them. If McGee excels, i wouldnt be surprised to see Clements let go, since the Bills will feel we have a #1 corner locked up longer. If McGee stumbles again, we still have a decent #2 corner, and then TD may be more inclined to re-sign clements...

Maybe i am stating the obvious, but figured heres a football post to think about while we wait for camp to start :doh:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If we lose clements we can always look for a cheaper DB via free agency.

385650[/snapback]

umm yeah cause mcgee can definitly be a #1 cb.......

Mcgee struggled in his rookie season. He can improve to be a solid #2 cb. He'll never be a #1 cb.

However Nate Clements is one if not the best cb in the league. I'm not gonna debate this cause everyone has their opinion, but he's still one of the best at his position. The Most important player in our secondary and essential to lock up long term.

that TD wants to lock him up now so he can make a decision on clements after the season? Lets look at the way TD has managed teams now and in the past. I feel that by locking McGee up right now, TD is this season to judge them. If McGee excels, i wouldnt be surprised to see Clements let go, since the Bills will feel we have a #1 corner locked up longer. If McGee stumbles again, we still have a decent #2 corner, and then TD may be more inclined to re-sign clements...

Maybe i am stating the obvious, but figured heres a football post to think about while we wait for camp to start :doh:

385648[/snapback]

Makes sense to me.

i want clements here IF HE WANTS TO BE HERE. that, my friends, is the question. does clements want to make a very good living and continue to be a part of a franchise building towards the super bowl, or does he want the mega-paycheck and recognition of being "the" top CB in the league?

that is the question that the patriots have asked their players since belechick arrived. it's up to nate to decide his path.

mcgee is locked in for years -- he will become a RFA next year, not an UFA.......however, it is important to get him locked in now and reward him for a job well done.......if he breaks out, the bills are sitting pretty.......

it is also important to get clements signed AS WELL........the longer the bills wait the higher the price tag gets........signing him to a big deal BEFORE ken lucas and anthony henry got their big deals would have made alot of sense......show him the money and he will stay.......d*ck him around and he will go, just like winfield, jennings, and williams have..........

well, yes i would love to see clements re-signed, i tihnk hes one of the top CB's in the league...but i think if mcgee does break out, TD would be less likely to keep him around at top price...i mean clements is prolly gonna want upwards of 50 mil with 15+ bonus...

i mean clements is prolly gonna want upwards of 50 mil with 15+ bonus...

385714[/snapback]

i bet he would have settled for a lot less then that this time last year......after contracts for lito sheppard, sheldon brown, anthony henry, gary baxter, fred smoot, and ken lucas got handed out his price tag has gone up........

Gentlemen, Clements is gone. Anyone who puts "playmaker" on his locker name tag is going to try to get the biggest CB contract in the league. Someone is going to give him a $15 million bonus, the Bills are not going to match, and that is the end of the story.

Also -- if this happens, I won't begrudge Nate this one bit. He's got a few years in his career, all of which will be spent subjecting his body to unbelievable abuse. His career could be over literally any minute. No guaranteed contracts in the NFL -- if he gets hurt, he is hosed.

He's a great player -- one of the best CBs in the league and probably the 2nd-best player on the defense (after Takeo, IMHO). I'd love to keep him, but not if the number is too high. You just can't tie up that much cap room on one CB.

McGee isn't as good as Clements and can't be our #1 CB. If we lose Clements I'd expect a FA signing and/or our first-round pick next year to be a CB.

How many days until opening day?

Who thinks JP is going to be good?

I love it how after 2 friggin years so many people can say that McGee will never be a #1 corner...

obviously, players are done developing after their rookie season and never get better throughout their career. Theres no possible way McGee will ever get better as he gains experience. :doh:

(/sarcasm)

I love it how after 2 friggin years so many people can say that McGee will never be a #1 corner...

obviously, players are done developing after their rookie season and never get better throughout their career. Theres no possible way McGee will ever get better as he gains experience.  :doh:

(/sarcasm)

385730[/snapback]

He struggled at times, but overall I thought McGee had good first season as a starter and I saw nothing to indicate that he can't become a very good NFL CB.

I think the problem is that many people put too much emphasis on where a guy was drafted and consider that as the measure of his potential and ability.

obviously, players are done developing after their rookie season and never get better throughout their career. Theres no possible way McGee will ever get better as he gains experience.  :doh:

(/sarcasm)

385730[/snapback]

Maybe Terrence Mcgee can improve and be a quality cb, I just don't think he has the skills to be a true #1 cb. What I mean by that is a cb that can be the cornerstone of a secondary a guy you can hang your hat on. I think Mcgee is gonna turn into a fine #2 cb, but I sure as hell don't want to see him as our #1 cb in 2006 if we lose clements.

Both of them they're best years are ahead. I just believe the impact Nate Clements can have on a secondary and a defense, far outweighs the impact that terrence mcgee will ever have. Not a knock against Mcgee, but I believe Nate Clements is that damn great.

Maybe Terrence Mcgee can improve and be a quality cb,  I just don't think he has the skills to be a true #1 cb.  What I mean by that is a cb that can be the cornerstone of a secondary a guy you can hang your hat on.  I think Mcgee is gonna turn into a fine #2 cb, but I sure as hell don't want to see him as our #1 cb in 2006 if we lose clements. 

Both of them they're best years are ahead. I just believe the impact Nate Clements can have on a secondary and a defense, far outweighs the impact that terrence mcgee will ever have.  Not a knock against Mcgee, but I believe Nate Clements is that damn great.

385745[/snapback]

McGee will likely be hard pressed to be as good a player as Clements is due to his smallish size, but it's possible. There have been some great small corners in the league. And he certainly has the hands and the instincts and the running ability, and probably the game speed that Nate does. McGee accelerates as fast as anyone on the team with the possible exception of Evans. It's also probable that Terrence McGee in two seasons made more "plays" than the playmaker did in his first two seasons, with less playing time.

umm yeah cause mcgee can definitly be a #1 cb.......

Mcgee struggled in his rookie season. He can improve to be a solid #2 cb. He'll never be a #1 cb.

However Nate Clements is one if not the best cb in the league. I'm not gonna debate this cause everyone has their opinion, but he's still one of the best at his position.  The Most important player in our secondary and essential to lock up long term.

385657[/snapback]

Did I say that Mcgee would be our #1 CB.. I think that I was saying that if Clements walks we can find something via free agency to fill some of the void left by Clements.

Who knows maybe even better than Clememts.

Hopefully locking up McGee would have no impact on Clements. Obviously McGee won't be as good as Clements, because Nate is pretty much a prototype NFL corner except for some occasional decision making skills. Except for McAlister, I don't think anybody's better, including Bailey.

I think McGee could eventually develop into a great #2 corner- a guy like Dre Bly, who gives up a lot of plays, but seems to make just as many.

Maybe Terrence Mcgee can improve and be a quality cb,  I just don't think he has the skills to be a true #1 cb.  What I mean by that is a cb that can be the cornerstone of a secondary a guy you can hang your hat on.  I think Mcgee is gonna turn into a fine #2 cb, but I sure as hell don't want to see him as our #1 cb in 2006 if we lose clements. 

Both of them they're best years are ahead. I just believe the impact Nate Clements can have on a secondary and a defense, far outweighs the impact that terrence mcgee will ever have.  Not a knock against Mcgee, but I believe Nate Clements is that damn great.

385745[/snapback]

From a GM point of view this looks like a good time to try to sign MCgee to a lomg-term contract.

1. He will be an RFA rathetr than a UFA next year and the Bills leverage is about as strong as its going to be to hang onto him (theoretically all it will take is a qualifying offer to hang onto him for another year unless someone gives him a drop-dead offer (certainly possible if he has another Pro Bowl type year, but not likely as it would cost heavy compensation to the team signing him).

2. As NcGee wiould get the reward of more money than he has ever seen before and get it withou the athlete's risk of a full season (or two til he hits UFA) he can likely be signed for far less dollars one generally gives to a Pro Bowler to sign long-term.

3. As many our saying they doubt McGee gas what it takes to be a #1 CB and thus rather than Ty Law money and if the market agrees he can be signed long-term for less than #1 CB money.

4. McGee did struggle at CB significantly last year but he did improve as the season went on, and there is at least a possibility though certainlyNOT a probability at all he can become a #1 CB player and if he does we have him locked up.

5. Eveb if McGee does not develop any further as a CB he is a gamebreaker as a KO return guy so a big comtract likely provides some return.

It makes sense in the big picture because once he is signed then our ability to let Clements go if necessary is there. I say git her done.

Is there any way that we can put the franchise tag on Clements, I don't believe that we are using it on anybody else. Why would TD not get compensation for the loss if that is what is going to happen anyway?

Mark my words.... Clements will sign his 2nd contract with the Bills. #1 reason for this is we let another 1st rd corner walk... Common sense says they wanted to bet the farm on the younger/better Clements. IF/WHEN Mike Williams restructures, Eric Moulds retires (1-2 yrs in my opinion) and Bledsoe's cap hit is gone, we'll be all good.