Anyone go to the Springsteen show last night?

BRH

I took my 6-year-old daughter to the solo Springsteen show at HSBC last night. It was her first time (and actually her first "grown-up" concert). She, who is already a huge Bruce fan and knows the words to many of his songs, had a great time and I'll remember it forever; a great father-daughter moment.

The Boss was in rare form last night. Six tour premieres, including "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)," "Darkness On The Edge Of Town," "You're Missing," "Prove It All Night," plus a killer back-to-back run of "State Trooper" and "Nebraska." I prefer the E Streeters' energy but was pleasantly surprised by the solo show.

Cue all the bashers' comments about how he sucks, etc. Just don't get this moved to PPP, please. ;)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he sucks; I'm just not a fan of his. I have heard that he has pretty long shows, around 3 hours. That's pretty nice. I always appreciate performers that give you your money's worth on stage. Don't just sing a few songs and then leave w/ our cash! That's one reason why I didn't mind accompanying my wife to 8 shows from the late Luther Vandross (just doesn't seem right to mention him that way) in past years.

Did your daughter ask what all the smoke and funny smell was once the lights went down?

385019[/snapback]

Surprisingly, there was a lot less of that going around last night for some reason.

I don't think he sucks; I'm just not a fan of his.  I have heard that he has pretty long shows, around 3 hours.  That's pretty nice.  I always appreciate performers that give you your money's worth on stage. Don't just sing a few songs and then leave w/ our cash!  That's one reason why I didn't mind accompanying my wife to 8 shows from the late Luther Vandross (just doesn't seem right to mention him that way) in past years.

385020[/snapback]

That's very true. And last night he sang 25 songs without a single backup musician or singer.

Your line about not just singing a few songs reminds me of when Bob Dylan came to Finger Lakes in 1988 or so and played for about 45 minutes. People were PISSED. Some friends of mine had a comedy gig at the Funnybone at the time, and in one of their skits a guy came out dressed like Dylan, with a guitar and harmonica, sat down, said "Thankyouverymuch," and started playing and then singing in that high nasal twang:

"How many roads

Must a man walk down

Before you can caaall him a maaaan?

The answer, my friend, is three.

Thank you very much!"

Exit stage right. ;)

I am a huge fan of Bruce, and he is coming to St. Louis with that acoustic show. But I have a problem paying 85 bucks to see him by himself. To me, that's just greed. The guy has plenty of dough.

Dude sold out 10 stadium shows in Jersey with his band. 75 a ticket.

I saw the Tom Joad show, and although it was really terrific, he had no piano, and it was a bit of a low energy show. This looks like a much better show, but I still can't justify the cash outlay.

Not a fan of his music.  I won't say he sucks, but just not to my liking.  Everything else about him does suck however. ;)

385217[/snapback]

Like all the money he donates? Like the fact on a few of his tours he would go into each city and find something no one cared about and then give them 10-20K of his own cash to fix it? Like in Phoenix there were miners that were getting sick from going down in the mines for Phelps Dodge so he bought them equipment that could save their lungs? Like during the Born in the USA tour throughout 84 and 85 when he donated 10,000$ to Food Banks and Veterans groups in almost every city he played in? Like all the cash he put in the Fallen Patriot Fund? That really sucks.

Not a fan of his music.  I won't say he sucks, but just not to my liking.  Everything else about him does suck however. ;)

385217[/snapback]

Just because he is an elitist super-intellect with all of the answers, that doesn't necessarily mean he has to suck.

I've been a big fan since the 70's. He puts everything into his live shows, and I think he's a great songwriter.

He does not suck. He's a successful musician and is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

You may not like him at all. I can't stand Rush, that guy's voice reminds me of Alvin and the Chipmunks, but I cannot deny the talent.

It's a great country full of choices.

I'm not a fan of Bruce,but please share with us how you reached that conclusion. ;)

385234[/snapback]

This has obviously been on your mind for a while. How did you come to this decision?

I knew after we invaded Iraq that I was going to be involved in the election. It made me angry. We started to talk about it onstage. I take my three minutes a night for what I call my public-service announcement. We talked about it almost every night on our summer tour.

I felt we had been misled. I felt they had been fundamentally dishonest and had frightened and manipulated the American people into war. And as the saying goes, "The first casualty of war is truth." I felt that the Bush doctrine of pre-emption was dangerous foreign policy. I don't think it has made America safer.

Look at what is going on now: We are quickly closing in on what looks an awful lot like the Vietnamization of the Iraq war. John McCain is saying we could be there for ten or twenty years, and John Kerry says four years. How many of our best young people are going to die between now and that time, and what exactly for? Initially I thought I was going to take my acoustic guitar and play in some theaters, find some organizations to work for and do what I could. I was going to lend my voice for a change in the administration and a change in the direction of the country.

Sitting on the sidelines would be a betrayal of the ideas I'd written about for a long time. Not getting involved, just sort of maintaining my silence or being coy about it in some way, just wasn't going to work this time out. I felt that it was a very clear historical moment.

So there wasn't a moment of doubt in your mind about what the right thing to do was?

It was something that gestated over a period of time, and as events unfolded and the election got closer, it became clearer. I don't want to watch the country devolve into an oligarchy, watch the division of wealth increase and see another million people beneath the poverty line this year. These are all things that have been the subtext of so much of my music, and to see the country move so quickly to the right, so much further to the right than what the president campaigned on -- these are the things that removed whatever doubt I may have had about getting involved.

Are you expecting to have your motives severely criticized?

That's just a part of what happens. You understand you're going to be attacked in different ways. That just comes with it. That wasn't any concern.

Do you think there is a climate of trying to intimidate artists and creative people?

People are always trying to shut up the people they don't agree with -- through any means necessary, usually. There certainly was an attempt to intimidate the Dixie Chicks. What happened to them was a result of war fever - simple as that, war fever. They've handled it incredibly. They are very smart, tough women, and they did not back down. But it's one of those sad paradoxes that in theory we're fighting for freedom, and the first thing people are willing to throw out is freedom of speech at home and castigate anybody who is coming from a different point of view.

I'm sure we'll interpret it in two different ways, but I just think he's an ass. Plain and simple.

How is that being an ass in your opinion? No flames, just curious.

I'm sure we'll interpret it in two different ways, but I just think he's an ass.  Plain and simple.

385245[/snapback]

Surprisingly, there was a lot less of that going around last night for some reason.

385028[/snapback]

Springsteen fans are too poor to afford the hippie lettuce. Plus, since all the small farms have closed due to corporate giveaways, they no longer grow their own.

Like all the money he donates? Like the fact on a few of his tours he would go into each city and find something no one cared about and then give them 10-20K of his own cash to fix it? Like in Phoenix there were miners that were getting sick from going down in the mines for Phelps Dodge so he bought them equipment that could save their lungs? Like during the Born in the USA tour throughout 84 and 85 when he donated 10,000$ to Food Banks and Veterans groups in almost every city he played in? Like all the cash he put in the Fallen Patriot Fund? That really sucks.

385223[/snapback]

yeah......like that.

:doh:

How is that being an ass in your opinion? No flames, just curious.

385262[/snapback]

Don't you know?

He used, like, three and four-syllable words.

That was a bit too much for ol' Boomer.

:doh:

I am a huge fan of Bruce, and he is coming to St. Louis with that acoustic show.  But I have a problem paying 85 bucks to see him by himself.  To me, that's just greed.  The guy has plenty of dough. 

Dude sold out 10 stadium shows in Jersey with his band.  75 a ticket. 

I saw the Tom Joad show, and although it was really terrific, he had no piano, and it was a bit of a low energy show.  This looks like a much better show, but I still can't justify the cash outlay.

385195[/snapback]

Actually, though, 85 bucks is pretty much a bargain to see a guy of his stature. What are the Stones charging? McCartney? The Eagles? I put him right up there with those folks and they're charging well into the three digits.

Anyway, this time around he does have a piano. And he did "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" on it last night. I almost died.

I watched the video "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" on the weekend. If you’re a fan of The Boss you’d enjoy seeing him describe what it was like for his band to back up Chuck Berry at a club in New Jersey. It is a fine interview and a really funny movie if you’re a fan of rock and roll. Bruce is real young here and tells a great story.

Chuck Berry on the other hand is a real piece of work. I had no idea he was such an educated man and eloquent speaker off stage. It was worth the price of the video just to see the look Keith Richards gives after Berry corrects his intro to “O Carol” a few times. If looks could kill Richards would have been arrested.