Anyone go to the Springsteen show last night?

BRH

I listened to the Buffalo show last night. Quite a setlist change from when I saw him 2 nights before. 14 different songs? Unbelievable! I've seen Bruce 5 times and he always gives you your moneys worth. You see so many artists basically going through the motions. It's so nice to see people like Bruce or Neil Young who after 35 plus years of performing still go out and play like that.

If anyone who was at the Buffalo show wants a copy of it let me know. I'll burn a couple of freebies.

e me at Helpless@nycap.rr.com

bob

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with that.  I don't mind Bruce taking different approaches to familiar songs -- his rendition of Promised Land was just fantastic -- but that take on Reason was just horrible.  Part of it was the acoustics, I think -- I have heard it sounded better in other venues on this tour.  I particularly disliked it because in addition to being incomprehensible, it was way, way too long, and I'm surprised my daughter was patient enough to sit through it.  Fortunately he more than made up for it.  Sandy followed by Leap of Faith, State Trooper, Nebraska and Maria's Bed was one of the best five-song runs I have ever heard in my life.

388551[/snapback]

How was the attendance? I've seen a lot of positve reviews but I'm curious if he was able to pull in the E-Street fans?

How was the attendance?  I've seen a lot of positve reviews but I'm curious if he was able to pull in the E-Street fans?

388601[/snapback]

Pretty bad according to here:

July 18 / Buffalo, NY / HSBC Arena

Notes: We'll be the first to point out that the setlist is not necessarily the story of the show. Except on nights like tonight. It was a sparsely attended show in a seemingly sparsely populated upstate burg: "I've been in Buffalo for two days," Bruce said, "These are the first people I've seen. Where is everybody?" But after some Man in Black upgrades consolidated the crowd mostly to the floor and lower-level sides, those who were there saw Springsteen throttle the setlist within an inch of its life.

Pretty bad according to here:

388607[/snapback]

That wasn't fair. Most of the places he's played on his tour have been smaller arenas and theaters, not big hockey arenas. I have seen posters on brucespringsteen.net who attended shows in other places in addition to HSBC say that the attendance was about the same, it just looked smaller because the place was bigger. The same complaint (low attendance) was made by fans in Toronto at the ACC.

They didn't sell the 300 levels or the 100/200 seats at either end of the arena. Floor was packed, and the 100s and club levels on both sides were packed. I'm not sure if that was really because of "Man in Black upgrades;" I really don't think they even TRIED to sell the whole place, and I doubt they even could have done so anywhere but Jersey and its environs.

Personally, I'm fine if the "E-Street fans" stayed home. Nothing's worse at an acoustic show than hearing some beered-up headband-wearing mulletheads yelling "Born in the USAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Yeah, I really liked that Promised Land version he did. My favorite song of the concert, though, was Does this Bus Stop at 82nd Street. I've seen him 14 times and have never heard him play that one. Loved it when everybody sang "Man, the dope's that there's still hope!!"

Don't care for his politics, and I honestly don't know what he's made in the last twenty years, but his old stuff contains some of my favorite songs of all time. He doesn't suck - I just don't care (about him or any other musician). I promise not to go to one of his concerts and get beered-up and ruin anyone's experience.