NYS Medicaid Fraud in the Billions

Sorry if this is a repost but for those who live in New York State, this is very troubling news.

NY Times: Medicaid Fraud in the Billions

Some highlights:

*New York spends the more on Medicaid than any other state, even more than California despite having less than half the population.

*Millions were lost due to AIDs drugs fraud well after the problem was widely reported. (The drugs for wasting were being sold on the black market for use by bodybuilders and other athletes.)

*One dentist allegedly would have barkers offering electronics for those with Medicaid cards so that she could bill almost 1000 procedures a day. Her fraud ended costing the state millions.

*Nursing home operators were getting seven-figure salaries while being reprimanded for being understaffed.

*"One Buffalo school official sent 4,434 students into speech therapy in a single day without talking to them or reviewing their records, according to federal investigators."

And we wonder why our taxes are so high..

Anything I might add would put this squarely into the dark side.

Shameful.

384213[/snapback]

I know what you mean. This has been debated, analyzed, reviewed - pick any adjective - by folks a lot more knowledgable on the subject than you or I. Suffice to say, medical treatment has always been a ripe field for fraud with 3rd party payment - from every possible angle, from phony back injury claims, shell corporations, crooked medical personnel, crooked treatment recipients, crooked politicians, and so on.

My wife works for DSS and she says the way the law is set up in NYS.....there is no resource limit which means if you recently lost your job but have 100,000 dollars in an IRA or in a savings account or own a Rolls Royce or a million dollar mansion, if you apply for Medicaid because you lost your job and have no income coming in due to unemployment you qualify for it...because they cannot take those things into consideration by LAW.....friggin NYS

My wife works for DSS and she says the way the law is set up in NYS.....there is no resource limit which means if you recently lost your job but have 100,000 dollars in an IRA or in a savings account or own a Rolls Royce or a million dollar mansion, if you apply for Medicaid because you lost your job and have no income coming in due to unemployment you qualify for it...because they cannot take those things into consideration by LAW.....friggin NYS

384482[/snapback]

Friggin voters.

Last time I went to the doc, he was bitching about a guy who drove up from Tenn and came to his office in Buffalo because of Medicaid cutbacks in Tenn. The guy ended up needing surgery on his kidneys or something to the tune of about $35,000. Medicaid paid for it. There is no residency requirement or waiting period for Medicaid in NYS!

:doh::lol:

Last time I went to the doc, he was bitching about a guy who drove up from Tenn and came to his office in Buffalo because of Medicaid cutbacks in Tenn.  The guy ended up needing surgery on his kidneys or something to the tune of about $35,000.  Medicaid paid for it.  There is no residency requirement or waiting period for Medicaid in NYS!

:doh:  :lol:

384566[/snapback]

Do you thank New York City for this? I haven't lived in NYS since 1974, but from what little I keep up with...

Damn.

We used to blame our statewide ills on NYC, or Rocky...usually NYC. Then, it was justified. I keep seeing opinions and posts about things going on in the State, and around Buffalo...

For lack of a better way to put it, WTF is going on? Y'all (not all of you) keep electing the same people who have been screwing you for years. I go back to NYC. Is the rest of the State that powerless?

Yeah, I've read the local politics too. Maybe someone can explain that as well. I grew up Democrat-Union. Maybe it doesn't work so well anymore?

Do you thank New York City for this? I haven't lived in NYS since 1974, but from what little I keep up with...

Damn.

We used to blame our statewide ills on NYC, or Rocky...usually NYC. Then, it was justified. I keep seeing opinions and posts about things going on in the State, and around Buffalo...

For lack of a better way to put it, WTF is going on? Y'all (not all of you) keep electing the same people who have been screwing you for years. I go back to NYC. Is the rest of the State that powerless?

Yeah, I've read the local politics too. Maybe someone can explain that as well. I grew up Democrat-Union. Maybe it doesn't work so well anymore?

384636[/snapback]

From what I hear it is Silver and Bruno who control the state legislature and each is affiliated with health care groups. They keep adding benefits to Medicaid until the "safety net" is better than any company sponsored health plan. It is ridiculous and everyone screams about it but nothing seems to happen.

IMHO, they no longer need Medicaid reform, they need to totally scrap it and start over from scratch.

IMHO, they no longer need Medicaid reform, they need to totally scrap it and start over from scratch.

384757[/snapback]

Yeah, because it's likely that the next program won't morph into yet another government sponsored blight. One day you idealists are going to clue in that the government doesn't fix problems or make things better over the long term.

Yeah, because it's likely that the next program won't morph into yet another government sponsored blight.  One day you idealists are going to clue in that the government doesn't fix problems or make things better over the long term.

384813[/snapback]

Looking at the original post in this thread it would seem like a the first step one might take is to demand accountability and punish and send to jail:

1. The Black marketeers and other felons making rediculous and probanly traceable as they spend these big buck selling drugs to AIDs patients desperate to live an bodybuilders desperate for a big body.

2. The dentist and other medical professionals who are scamming the system to make these huge amounts of monet which again should be traceable.

3. The nursing home operators who are using old people to scam money which again should be traceable.

4. The school official and others with authority who seemed to have learned little from their schooling as the are pulling off bizarre scandals which again should be traceable.

Instead we seem to allow ourselves to get tracked off into political battles which at best result in some 60% win over an issues of warring 100% orinciples and thus no one wins, or we follow the line of first cracking down on welfare queens as though it is actually poor people who are getting rich off of abusing the system (lets cluse folks in that people who are poor are probably not rich).

The horrendous examples of crime seem to go unpunished and then we are surprised when other fools begin to treat crimes as though it does pay. If one wants a list of the rich people who are profiteerig off the season it probably has already been put together as the campaign fundraising lists of Silver and Pataki and George Bush and Harry Reid.

All that for health care and you've still got that giant pain in the arse-Hillary! ;)

384618[/snapback]

Funny thing is, no one will admit voting for her - how did she win?

That is kind of like how everyone went to Woodstock. :w00t:

Yeah, because it's likely that the next program won't morph into yet another government sponsored blight.  One day you idealists are going to clue in that the government doesn't fix problems or make things better over the long term.

384813[/snapback]

So what's your solution? Live with it the way it is? Or have no Medicaid whatsoever? The program was designed to be a way to cover the indigent and uninsured. Unfortunately, politicians, lobbyists, health care workers unions and others have built it into a system that covers every possible health issue including free transportation to the doctor so that he can rip off the taxpayers.

By the way, the two main culprits, Gov. Pataki and State Senate leader Joe Bruno are Republicans. ;)

384813[/snapback]

Yeah right, and I'm sure one day the "idealists" will stop voting for retards like Hillary Clinton who don't even know which branches of the government do what.

Seriously, more government control has never been the answer. I don't blame idealism for this crap; I blame ignorance.

From what I hear it is Silver and Bruno who control the state legislature and each is affiliated with health care groups.  They keep adding benefits to Medicaid until the "safety net" is better than any company sponsored health plan.  It is ridiculous and everyone screams about it but nothing seems to happen.

384757[/snapback]

Well, there's two seats than can go in the next election. But given history, doesn't look like they will.

If all fraud was to be eliminated right this second, the system would be hurting from the illegal aliens alone.

Go to an emergency room in this area and you will be sitting there waiting while the illegals are being treated, of course for no cost.

This works well for pols from both parties. They get to appear compassionate, although it does not cost THEM a dime. WE foot the bills. They can also provide cheap labor to their rich, corporate friends.

Sorry, both parties are to blame here, but I WOULD say that, because I am one of AD's minions. Or was it KRC? ;)

If all fraud was to be eliminated right this second, the system would be hurting from the illegal aliens alone.

Go to an emergency room in this area and you will be sitting there waiting while the illegals are being treated, of course for no cost.

This works well for pols from both parties. They get to appear compassionate, although it does not cost THEM a dime. WE foot the bills. They can also provide cheap labor to their rich, corporate friends.

Sorry, both parties are to blame here, but I WOULD say that, because I am one of AD's minions. Or was it KRC?  ;)

384893[/snapback]

I've considered starting some minions. Want to join?

Well, there's two seats than can go in the next election. But given history, doesn't look like they will.

384892[/snapback]

I doubt that neither Joe Bruno or Sheldon Silver has any worries about re-election in their districts. They make sure that every bill contains some goodies for their constituents. Who wouldn't want their state senator or legislator to control all spending in Albany?

If they had to be elected state-wide, they would be gone long before now.

Pataki, on the other hand, is a goner if he decides to run again.

So what's your solution?  Live with it the way it is?  Or have no Medicaid whatsoever?  The program was designed to be a way to cover the indigent and uninsured.  Unfortunately, politicians, lobbyists, health care workers unions and others have built it into a system that covers every possible health issue including free transportation to the doctor so that he can rip off the taxpayers. 

By the way, the two main culprits, Gov. Pataki and State Senate leader Joe Bruno are Republicans.  ;)

384845[/snapback]

There are more people uninsured today than there were when the program started. Getting government more involved in the health care industry is the reason it's more expensive than ever.

Nice try blaming solely Republicans, as if the problems in NY started less than a decade ago. That line of thinking is why this sh-- continues.

There are more people uninsured today than there were when the program started.  Getting government more involved in the health care industry is the reason it's more expensive than ever.

Nice try blaming solely Republicans, as if the problems in NY started less than a decade ago.  That line of thinking is why this sh-- continues.

385005[/snapback]

>>>>There are more people uninsured today than there were when the program started.<<<<

Yes, but would you not agree that most of them are illegal?

>>>>There are more people uninsured today than there were when the program started.<<<<

Yes, but would you not agree that most of them are illegal?

385010[/snapback]

I have no idea the demographic - the studies I've read don't break things down that way. Even Canada, with their Socialized Medicine that supposedly covers everyone, has virtually the same percentage of people without access to medical care that the US currently "enjoys."

Someday pragmatists will take over the world. ;)