What p*sses me off with Travis

from the Nashville City Paper:

OK - so where was this mentality in Buffalo?  When we drafted Willis did Travis say "this is good news because it will make me better"? Nope - he bitched and moaned and quit on the team.  Travis said publicly he wants to leave Buffalo because the coaches deemed that he wouldn't be number one - but why didn't he just say 'it's cool - I know my role".

What a two-faces, selfish prick.

A word to Tennessee: make Travis your starter or be prepared for some seious bitchin'

383946[/snapback]

Is it at all possible that some on this board have exaggerated the "locker room cancer" take on Travis Henry? His teammates have had nothing bad to say about him. I think some here read "between the lines" a bit much, and tend to fill in the holes with their own embellishments. Sure Henry said a few things he wished he hadn't, after McGahee was drafted, but so what. Keep in mind, just a month or two earlier, coming off a great season (hard to remember that Henry was very well loved by Bills fans at one time), had agreed to a bargain basement contract extension, and probably assumed his status in Buffalo was secure. Lets face it, the McGaghee pick threw everyone is Billsdom for a loop, TH included.

Ultimately, Travis Henrys' only crime is that he is not as good as Willis McGahee. What is the need to rip any Bills player once they are gone? It is only a 52 man roster....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to work with Chris brown?

“I haven’t gotten a chance to meet Chris Brown, but as far us co-existing, I think it’ll be great. Everybody’s just got to know their role,” he said in the TV phone interview. “Whatever role the coaches give me or give him, it’s a team sport first. I’ve been in a situation a couple of different times where there’s more than one back on the team, and competition makes you better overall. I feel like if both we both understand that and the coaches let us know what both our roles are, then things should go good.”

Interesting.....

Henry wasn't given the opportunity to win his job back. He got seven carries in the Baltimore game and averaged more yardage per carry than Willis. After that he recieved a total of 8 carries all year. 8 carries. That's getting the opportunity to take the job back?

Bottom line for me is that Henry's 2003 numbers are practically identical to Willis in 2004. Henry may not be as flashy as Willis but he's as good as Willis.

384121[/snapback]

He did nothing the first 4 games of the season. Henry was worthless last year. McGahee outperformed him in the preseason, but Henry was still given the starting job for the opener.

If Henry is just as good as McGahee, he sure as hell didn't prove it last season. No 100 yard games + No TDs + No wins = no starting job.

Henry LOST the job after he was given every opportunity to keep it, and then he quit after losing the job, even though the McGahee-led Bills finished the year at 9-2.

And Travis expects to be handed his starting job back? Because he was good 2 years ago? Yeah, right. Too bad Travis didn't have the pride to EARN the job back.

He did nothing the first 4 games of the season.  Henry was worthless last year.  McGahee outperformed him in the preseason, but Henry was still given the starting job for the opener.

If Henry is just as good as McGahee, he sure as hell didn't prove it last season.  No 100 yard games + No TDs + No wins = no starting job.

Henry LOST the job after he was given every opportunity to keep it, and then he quit after losing the job, even though the McGahee-led Bills finished the year at 9-2. 

And Travis expects to be handed his starting job back?  Because he was good 2 years ago?  Yeah, right. Too bad Travis didn't have the pride to EARN the job back.

384145[/snapback]

I don't remember anyone questioning the guys pride when he ran with a broken leg for half of the season.

And how do you "quit" when you aren't given the opportunity? You say he was given every opportunity. I don't think 8 carries is an opportunity.

Don't get me wrong here I think Willis is one hell of a back. But, I feel the same way about Henry. I don't like how TD had this entire thing go down and honestly I don't think we are that much better with Willis than we were with Travis. You can say what you want about a sample size of four games at the beginning of the year but there were other factors along with Travis that went in to us losing those games.

He did nothing the first 4 games of the season.  Henry was worthless last year.  McGahee outperformed him in the preseason, but Henry was still given the starting job for the opener.

If Henry is just as good as McGahee, he sure as hell didn't prove it last season.  No 100 yard games + No TDs + No wins = no starting job.

And Travis expects to be handed his starting job back?  Because he was good 2 years ago?  Yeah, right. Too bad Travis didn't have the pride to EARN the job back.

384145[/snapback]

What is sacrosanct about a starting job in the NFL?? Henry deserveably lost his job because his 'backup' consistently out-performed him from May to January. The guy was a cancer by acting like a two year old when a parent takes an ice cream cone away. I think an NFL team should consist of ADULTS only. Good luck, Tennessee, in keeping your new found man-child happy.

That's an insult to warriors.

384077[/snapback]

You Warriors are good. Real good.

Can You dig it?

I don't remember anyone questioning the guys pride when he ran with a broken leg for half of the season.

And how do you "quit" when you aren't given the opportunity? You say he was given every opportunity. I don't think 8 carries is an opportunity.

Don't get me wrong here I think Willis is one hell of a back. But, I feel the same way about Henry. I don't like how TD had this entire thing go down and honestly I don't think we are that much better with Willis than we were with Travis. You can say what you want about a sample size of four games at the beginning of the year but there were other factors along with Travis that went in to us losing those games.

384154[/snapback]

One quarter of a season IS a HUGE opportunity to prove one's worth. There may have other factors contributing to the Bills losing streak, but name ONE play Henry made in those games. Name one time where he put the team on his back like a pro-bowl player should, and lifted them to a win. It didn't happen.

At a time where he was fighting for his position, he stumbled, missed blocks, and ran the wrong assignments. He was terrible.

Did you really expect the Bills to name Henry the starter this season? After McGahee was instrumental in their best win streak since the early 90s? Mularkey is supposed to say, 'nice job Willis, but I'm starting the guy who had his best seasons under a different coaching staff?'

Because this seems to be what Henry expected Mularkey to do, even after his own horrible performance in 2004.

No, absolutely not. You bring up the point that I'm coming from in that I still think we should have drafted Dallas Clark over Willis McGahee in 2003. Overall it would have set the Bills up for success with Bledsoe immediately. But, what's done is done.

I just think it stinks the way Travis was treated. They didn't set him up for success they set him up for failure. And I can't imagine how that felt for Travis especially after being a pro bowl back. This could very well end up being the same as Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes in Baltimore in 2000. Did Baltimore go with the better back? Hard for me to say now. Or Deuce McCallister and Ricky Williams in New Orleans. A decision had to be made and it was made.

I don't like how TD had this entire thing go down and honestly I don't think we are that much better with Willis than we were with Travis. You can say what you want about a sample size of four games at the beginning of the year but there were other factors along with Travis that went in to us losing those games.

384154[/snapback]

Well, I guess I could partly agree with you in the sense that one could say the offense's mid-season resurgence was helped just as much with speedy Lee Evans' emergence as it was with McGahee replacing Henry.

Like you, I can't quite understand the fierce hatred that some Bills fans hold toward Henry. He gave us great value for a 2nd round pick - he started a lot of games for us, gained a lot of yards, played through injuries, and kept this offense respectable (and occasionally great, like in early 2002 season). On top of all that, he provided us with a likely high 3rd rd draft pick next year as a parting gift.

No, absolutely not. You bring up the point that I'm coming from in that I still think we should have drafted Dallas Clark over Willis McGahee in 2003. Overall it would have set the Bills up for success with Bledsoe immediately. But, what's done is done.

I just think it stinks the way Travis was treated. They didn't set him up for success they set him up for failure. And I can't imagine how that felt for Travis especially after being a pro bowl back. This could very well end up being the same as Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes in Baltimore in 2000. Did Baltimore go with the better back? Hard for me to say now. Or Deuce McCallister and Ricky Williams in New Orleans. A decision had to be made and it was made.

384225[/snapback]

He wasn't treated any differently from anyone else who loses a starting job. In fact, Malarkey, bent over backwards to give Henry a chance to save his job and TH blew it.

Who's the better back? You can't be serious.

384225[/snapback]

There's no way TD should have drafted Clark over McGahee. McGahee is a top 5 talent. Clark is a TE, and not a very durable one at that.

I like the decision Baltimore made with Lewis, and there's no argument New Orleans did the right thing in replacing Williams with McAllister.

Travis was treated like a guy who stunk the place up in 2004 and lost his job to a better player.

Maybe if Henry ran for a couple 100 yard games and scored 3 or 4 TDs at the beginning of last season, but still lost his job, you'd have an argument. But he flopped, and that's no way to keep a guy as talented as McGahee on the bench.

from the Nashville City Paper:

OK - so where was this mentality in Buffalo?  When we drafted Willis did Travis say "this is good news because it will make me better"? Nope - he bitched and moaned and quit on the team.  Travis said publicly he wants to leave Buffalo because the coaches deemed that he wouldn't be number one - but why didn't he just say 'it's cool - I know my role".

What a two-faces, selfish prick.

A word to Tennessee: make Travis your starter or be prepared for some seious bitchin'

383946[/snapback]

Nick, that is a flat out lie, as we all know! If he isn't the starter during his tenure in Tenn, you're going to see one pissed off, sulking RB who made a hypocrite of himself to yet another team!

It's not about "team" as he proclaims but HIS team!!!

There's so much spin in the NFL it's enough to make you dizzy and sick from it all.

384154[/snapback]

yikes. are you serious? look at the sack numbers. look at turnovers. look at the bills' offensive production as a whole. like night and freaking day.

i don't "dislike" travis henry, but at the end of the day, all he really did well for the bills was to run hard and play hurt. he also fumbled too much, couldn't pick up a blitz to save his life, openly questioned buffalo bringing in competition at his position, and proved his immaturity with respect to social situations (underage girl) and finances (essentially going bankrupt and begging TD to extend his deal). and his team LOST. consistently.

early 3rd round pick for travis henry? it's fantastic. somebody call the cops, because TD just committed robbery.

he also fumbled too much, couldn't pick up a blitz to save his life, openly questioned buffalo bringing in competition at his position, and proved his immaturity with respect to social situations (underage girl) and finances (essentially going bankrupt and begging TD to extend his deal).  and his team LOST.  consistently.

You forgot that he also couldn't catch some balls... which costed us some games, like the one at Oakland last season.

Also, Willis isn't a much better back than Henry, but he easily would have scored the TD that Henry couldn't (even if replay showed it)

I can't believe people think TH is in the same league as WM.

TH is a tough runner who gets hurt often but plays hurt, can't block, mediocre receiver.

WM is a more complete back already than TH ever was and has the potential for greatness. There is no comparison. End of story.

RTB

Travis got thrown in to a new system in the first four games of this season when no one was producing. We had a entirely new staff and an entirely new system. Willis thrived in it, but had the benefit of not looking bad during the learning curve, against some mediocre competition in the remainder of the season and everything started clicking. What's to say Travis couldn't have done the same?

Travis got thrown in to a new system in the first four games of this season when no one was producing. We had a entirely new staff and an entirely new system. Willis thrived in it, but had the benefit of not looking bad during the learning curve, against some mediocre competition in the remainder of the season and everything started clicking. What's to say Travis couldn't have done the same?

384491[/snapback]

As a pro bowl back, I'd expect Henry to rise above the learning curve.

They had 3 months of mini camps, 6 weeks of training camp, four preseason games, and it still took Travis more than a quarter of a season to learn his blocking assignments and pass routes?

How much practice does he need to keep from tripping over the line of scrimmage?

This is further evidence that Henry played himself out of the starting position.