The IOC is Anti-American

In 2012 London games.

CNN

377808[/snapback]

Honestly, who gives a damn? I'm not on your case for posting, it's an interesting topic, but in regards to the IOC... does it matter? It's a corrupt, politics driven organization. I put about as much stock in this as I do Jeanine Garafalo, Hannity, and Al "Stuart Smalley" Franken telling me how to vote.

-Jeff

For most countries, putting together a baseball or softball team would be much like the novelty of the Jamaican bobsled team.

How many countries have baseball teams? Probably just the Central/South American countries to give their kids a chance to get out of the barrio and make some yankee dollars. Japan plays, too, maybe Korea? American puppet countries mostly.

If baseball gets in the olympics, then horseshoes and ballroom dancing should get in, too. I heard some rumblings about ballroom being an olympic "sport". Don't know the status of that.

Don't we lose in baseball?

377842[/snapback]

We won a few years back with Ben Sheets & Co, but other than that have had our taints handed to us in the sport for a while.

How is this anti american? Bueller?? Anyone?

The Japanese are WAY more into baseball than the US. Besides, the proposed baseball World Cup would makes this ridiculously unneccessary.

Women's softball is so amazingly boring it's almost beyond comprehension. It's time for them to change the dimensions so the pitchers aren't so dominant.

Baseball is an expensive sport for developing countries - which is probably why it isn't shown the love. Big field, fences, dugouts, safety gear for the umpires, equipment for the players, etc.

Plus, they have to build a hella-expensive stadium exclusively for baseball/softball that will be absolutely useless to countries other than US, Japan or Canada (and then again, there's the Expos' Olympic Stadium) after the Games are done. Why waste that money?

Anyone who's any good in other countries is in America in the pros or farm teams, and therefore ineligible. Like someone else said, if it's good baseball you want, wait for and watch the baseball World Cup. You don't get good baseball in the Olympics.

Plus, they have to build a hella-expensive stadium exclusively for baseball/softball that will be absolutely useless to countries other than US, Japan or Canada (and then again, there's the Expos' Olympic Stadium) after the Games are done. Why waste that money?

Anyone who's any good in other countries is in America in the pros or farm teams, and therefore ineligible. Like someone else said, if it's good baseball you want, wait for and watch the baseball World Cup. You don't get good baseball in the Olympics.

378041[/snapback]

At the "Big O" that was right about the time Montreal got the Expos? And didn't the Alouettes (CFL) play there? Hey, there is even a Buffalo connection... Good 'ole Marv used to coach Montreal, right?

The reasons given (if they REALLY were the reasons, and with the Olympics, you just never know) make it understandable:

1) The drug controversy

2) MLB'ers do not participate.

If you ask me, what was really upsetting was that there were other sports being considered, among them golf and rugby, but they were turned down as well. How cool would golf have been? How cooler would rugby have been?

The reasons given (if they REALLY were the reasons, and with the Olympics, you just never know) make it understandable:

1) The drug controversy

2)  MLB'ers do not participate.

If you ask me, what was really upsetting was that there were other sports being considered, among them golf and rugby, but they were turned down as well.  How cool would golf have been?  How cooler would rugby have been?

378049[/snapback]

Man, I'll bet there'll be a lot of people who will miss track and field in the Olympics.

1) The drug controversy

2)  MLB'ers do not participate.

If you ask me, what was really upsetting was that there were other sports being considered, among them golf and rugby, but they were turned down as well.  How cool would golf have been?  How cooler would rugby have been?

378049[/snapback]

Rugby Sevens would have been a great game to have at the Olympics. A fair few nations are more than capable of winning the event and it is an exciting team sport (and the game is quick enough with short halves that would allow US TV to fit in all those adverts they are so in love with). Since Rugby did originate in the UK it would be nice to try and get this in for the Olympics as the home nation sport.

Golf, on the other hand, is just a waste of a good walk.

I have no problem with cutting baseball in the Olympics. Ben Sheets said it best, "No one grows up wanting to win a baseball gold medal." Plus, the baseball world cup is going to be even more intense next year.

Rugby Sevens would have been a great game to have at the Olympics. A fair few nations are more than capable of winning the event and it is an exciting team sport (and the game is quick enough with short halves that would allow US TV to fit in all those adverts they are so in love with). Since Rugby did originate in the UK it would be nice to try and get this in for the Olympics as the home nation sport.

Golf, on the other hand, is just a waste of a good walk.

378081[/snapback]

I agree. Baseball and Softball are not really international sports, and only the competatively challanged would get excited about the US getting a medal for them.

Rugby, on the other hand, is global, and is as close as we'll ever get to 'international football.' Plus, Rugby 7's is still competative in the less-developed nations, is a more exciting version of the game, and is particularly well-suited for an Olympic venue. For anybody who has never seen the Hong Kong Sevens tournament, there is nothing cooler than spending the day at a packed stadium, watching country after country take the field for high-octane 15 minute games. It's kinda like being at the track - one minute you're cheering on Fiji, and twenty minutes later you're screaming your head off over Kenya or Japan or whomever... Pool play is one day, and all the playoffs and consolations are the next.

So guess what the IOC has decided to do to update their sports? Nothing! In voting their first two choices were Karate and Squash, but neither made the 2/3 bar! What a bunch of dinosaurs!

I have no problem with cutting baseball in the Olympics. Ben Sheets said it best, "No one grows up wanting to win a baseball gold medal." Plus, the baseball world cup is going to be even more intense next year.

378089[/snapback]

Yup, I agree with that. I was pissed at first but then tried to recall the last time I watched baseball at the Olympics. Couldn't remember. If squash is more competitive worldwide then so be it.

IOC Just Says "NO!" to Drugs

You can cry in your beer for baseball, but it's been ruined on many levels.

For those too tired to click the link:

The IOC has two suggestions for baseball if it wants to return to the Olympics after the 2012 Games: Put in place tougher doping rules, and put major leaguers on the field.

"The message is clear," International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge said. "The IOC wants clean sport, the best athletes and universality."

Baseball was singled out because major leaguers don't compete in the Olympics and its drug-testing program falls way short of international standards.

Softball must increase its global appeal to win back its place, Rogge said. The sport also was hurt by its perceived ties to baseball."

IOC Just Says "NO!" to Drugs

You can cry in your beer for baseball, but it's been ruined on many levels.

For those too tired to click the link:

The IOC has two suggestions for baseball if it wants to return to the Olympics after the 2012 Games: Put in place tougher doping rules, and put major leaguers on the field.

"The message is clear," International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge said. "The IOC wants clean sport, the best athletes and universality."

Baseball was singled out because major leaguers don't compete in the Olympics and its drug-testing program falls way short of international standards.

Softball must increase its global appeal to win back its place, Rogge said. The sport also was hurt by its perceived ties to baseball."

378115[/snapback]

I don't think anyone has said this officially, but speculation has been that what hurt Golf was the belief that the best pros would not play, and that the Olympic golf would become in effect a minor tour stop.