I read on TSN that the draft order would be done by lottery, with the teams that have done poorly over the past three years recieving a little more weight.  How crazy would it be if the sabres were to get #1 overall and get Sidney Crosby. 

OUT

377486[/snapback]

Pencil it in as either rangers or kings

I read on TSN that the draft order would be done by lottery, with the teams that have done poorly over the past three years recieving a little more weight.  How crazy would it be if the sabres were to get #1 overall and get Sidney Crosby. 

OUT

377486[/snapback]

Even if the Sabre's won the lottery, I'd expect Crosby to play in Europe next year. Last I heard, he was offered $10 million to play in Switzerland.

http://www.canada.com/sports/story.html?id...ba-38b1d494dd29

And he just signed a $2.5 million endorsement contract with Reebok, so he's not hurting for money.

He could make big $$$ in Europe for two years, and then go back into the draft and hope another NHL club (one that might be more willing/able than Buffalo to pay him similar bucks) to draft him.

He could make big $$$ in Europe for two years, and then go back into the draft and hope another NHL club (one that might be more willing/able than Buffalo to pay him similar bucks) to draft him.

377550[/snapback]

Why in the world would he not want to sign with Buffalo? Once the cap is in place, a rookie should be praying that a team with lots of cap room will be the one to draft him. Teams like the Rangers, Red Wings, Leafs, Flyers, Blues, and Stars that have been throwing money around are going to be in deep deep trouble with a projected cap of $32-$36M (now that ESPN has walked).

The Sabres only have $9.1M in current contracts (assuming 24% rollback). That buys them their alleged #1 center Drury, a top-2 D pairing of McKee and Kalinin, and an NHL-level starting goalie in Noronen, as well as some role-players like Roy, Mair and Peters. They can tender Afinogenov, Briere, Dumont, Hecht and Satan as RFAs, although I wouldn't be shocked if they let Satan and Dumont walk. They'll probably re-sign guys like Grier, Pyatt, maybe Kotalik to lowball deals, let other hi-salary guys like Biron and Zhitnik go, and elevate some Rochester guys like Vanek, Miller, Janek, and possibly Gaustad and/or Paille.

And after all that, they'll still have cap room in a buyers market to add those key vets, especially on defense, needed for a Cup run.

The last few years have been tough, but the Sabres have aimed the franchise toward this moment by acquiring a young, inexpensive nucleus of talent. I'd be incredibly shocked if Regier and Ruff's charges didn't make a lot of noise this coming season. If nothing else, they should beat the tar out of the overaged and overpaid Leafs, which is what makes life worth living :lol:

377550[/snapback]

Or the league could cancel the whole season and demand a salary cap so things like this don't happen in the furture.....

Why in the world would he not want to sign with Buffalo? Once the cap is in place, a rookie should be praying that a team with lots of cap room will be the one to draft him.

377576[/snapback]

Under the new deal, the max a player can be paid is 20% of the $37 million cap ($7.4 million). If he can make $10 million in Europe, the choice is pretty easy (although he may eventually give the NHL a home-town discount so he can live up to his "next one" nickname).

The next collective bargaining agreement is believed to cap entry-level salaries to a maximum of $850,000 a season over three years, the same amount it was 10 years ago. Hard-to-reach bonuses could be worth as much as $3 million but they won't be gimmes like the previous deal.

Crosby's European deal is for $10 million over 3 years (3.3 a year) and the NHL is capping entry level contracts around $850,000 a year. Meaning he would make much less in the NHL, but it is his dream to play here according to him and his agent. His contract in Europe would have an out clause allowing him to leave whenever he wishes.

From what I've read, the two teams that will probably have the most balls in any lottery would be Columbus and the Rangers. The system I saw went back 5 years and you lose a ball for each year you made the playoffs and each time you had the #1 overall pick. The Blue Jackets traded for the #1 pick, but never actually earned it, so they wouldn't lose any balls.

I'm siding on the idea that the Rangers or Kings would get it. Ala NBA, David Stern, Knick, and Ewing thing. I just thought it would be cool to think that the sabres after all the BS that has happened to the org. would be handed a gift. Much like how we got Hasek.

I've never had to give up Stephane Beauregard and Eric Daze for a gift... :devil:

...but that's just me.

Probably cause your not an NHL franchise... Jackass...

Hey now... :devil: I was just trying to say that Hasek came to Buffalo for a price. Crosby will essentially be given to a damn lucky team. But yes... the Sabres did come away rather nicely in the Hasek deal. ;)

Actually, the ISS did a mock lottery for a mock draft, and guess who came up with the no.1 pick? That's right. My beloved Toronto Maple Leafs. Sadly, it was only a mock, but their single ball got them the pick. I'm hoping for a repeat.

As a Ranger fan, they are one of the favorites to land him. But I bet he winds up in Columbus.

377782[/snapback]

I highly doubt that he'd go to Columbus. Yes, they may end up with a very slight advantage in the lottery, but still, it will be less than a 10% chance for them to get him. Plus, he has a $10+ million contract waiting for him in Switzerland, so if he isn't drafted by a team he wants to play for, he will demand a trade or leave for Europe for a couple of years.

I've never had to give up Stephane Beauregard and Eric Daze for a gift...  :devil: 

...but that's just me.

377669[/snapback]

IIRC, Ruutu was part of the trade for Hasek

I highly doubt that he'd go to Columbus.  Yes, they may end up with a very slight advantage in the lottery, but still, it will be less than a 10% chance for them to get him.  Plus, he has a $10+ million contract waiting for him in Switzerland, so if he isn't drafted by a team he wants to play for, he will demand a trade or leave for Europe for a couple of years.

377809[/snapback]

Columbus would be a good fit. They already have Nash and a rising star in Zherdev. Put Crosby between those two and you have an imposing first line that would propel the Jackets into the postseason. Plus they sellout every game.

P.S. Crosby ain't passing up the NHL to play in some Swiss league. That's just in case the deal falls apart.

As someone previously stated the entry-level salary is capped at $850,000 for a players first 3 years. Yes, he can make much more money playing in Switzerland, but he won't have all of the NHLers playing there with him. I guess it depends on how much money figures into his plans.

He can probably make an awful lot in endorsements in Canada, but only if he plays in the NHL.

The Sabres are set up well for the new NHL with a lot of young exciting players with low salaries. After all of the high-priced players are dumped, the Sabres could even fill out the roster with some good talent at reasonable prices.

Crosby coming to Buffalo would really make the Sabres an exciting team to watch. Remember, we got lucky once before in the draft with a guy named Perreault!