Actually, the ISS did a mock lottery for a mock draft, and guess who came up with the no.1 pick? That's right. My beloved Toronto Maple Leafs. Sadly, it was only a mock, but their single ball got them the pick. I'm hoping for a repeat.

377771[/snapback]

Isn't it rather redundant to state that the Maple Leafs have only one ball?

IIRC, Ruutu was part of the trade for Hasek

377844[/snapback]

If you break it all down, it ended up being Ruuttu and 4th rounder for Hasek. IIRC correctly, the first deal was Ruuttu to the Jets for Beauregard. Then later, we sent Beauregard and a 4th to Chicago for Hasek, and they immediately dealt Beauregard back to the Jets for Ruuttu whom they wanted all along.

The deal was structured that way to allow the teams involved to "stash" players, protecting them on the respective rosters during the NHL waiver draft (or was it an expansion draft?) The league put the kibosh on that kind of funny business a few years later anyway.

If I were the Sabres, given their talent up front and probably guaranteed no worse than a top 10 pick to go with a plethora of netminding, I make a pitch for Scott Niedermayer to bolster the D. The one thing they lack is an anchor. With their team in good shape for the new CBA, they should be well underneath the cap. Niedermayer would make a ton of sense.

If I were the Sabres, given their talent up front and probably guaranteed no worse than a top 10 pick to go with a plethora of netminding, I make a pitch for Scott Niedermayer to bolster the D. The one thing they lack is an anchor. With their team in good shape for the new CBA, they should be well underneath the cap. Niedermayer would make a ton of sense.

377878[/snapback]

Totally agree....think about it this way Sabres fans....with the 24% rollback and the cap, the Sabres in 2005-2006 might just change inot a team that BUYS insteads of SELLS...how about that? Teams like the Leaf$, who seem more determined to get older and give their fans more excuses to whine and cry, are gonna have to $hed some money, as well as other teams. FYI about the Rangers: There payroll isnt that high anymore, heck, even the Devil$ have a higher payroll then the New York Rangers!!

About the league "fixing" the draft: I doubt that will happen. If the Rangers get him, they will get him fair and square. My feeling: As long as he dosent go to Boston, Toronto, Montreal or the Flyer$, Ill be ok wherever he goes.

Crosby's posteuring with this Swiss club is his way of picking the team he wants to land with (a la Eric Lindros). If he doesn't want to play for the team he lands with, he will threaten to play in the Swiss league, but it will only be a ploy. There is no way Reebok and Gatorade will let him do that; they probably have clauses in their contracts about it. On the other hand, endorsement deals often get boosted when a player is in a premier market, like NY or LA, so he probably would try to force getting traded there so he could make more money. In the long run, however, it might be the best thing for the Sabres to trade him if they get him (remember how the Nordiques got Forsberg and a bunch of other good players for Lindros)

According to TSN, Crosby has said he prefers to play in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129954

CHARLOTTETOWN (CP) - Sidney Crosby said Friday he wants to play in the NHL if there's a season this fall.

While his agent Pat Brisson of IMG is in talks with Swiss club Lugano, the 17-year-old from Cole Harbour, N.S., said playing in Europe is only an option if the NHL's labour situation isn't cleared up. A new collective bargaining agreement is close to being announced.

"Obviously I'm going to consider other places, but if there's an NHL (season) that's where I want be," Crosby said in an interview with CBC News. "Right now, I want to make sure that I have somewhere to go if there is no NHL season, but we're thinking best-case scenario that there's going to be one, so that's what I'm worried about."

Crosby was in P.E.I. to play in a charity golf tournament held by Tampa Bay Lightning star and Island native Brad Richards.

Brisson said earlier this week that any deal with Lugano would most likely contain an out clause to release Crosby back to the NHL. While the story created quite a buzz, the reality is that Brisson and Crosby are simply covering their bases.

Crosby, a Canadian Hockey League MVP the past two seasons while playing for the Rimouski Oceanic, is considered far and away the No. 1 prospect for the 2005 NHL draft. The draft will likely be held in late July or early August.

Richards, meanwhile, isn't too concerned about the backlash from fans in Tampa once the lockout ends, pointing to the fact more than 90 per cent of Lightning fans have renewed their season tickets with others snatching up season passes for the first time.

"We'll be fine down there," Richards told the Charlottetown Guardian. "They just want to see hockey back and celebrate our raising the banner and getting back to defending a Stanley Cup for a year."

Lightning teammate Martin St. Louis, the Hart Trophy winner as NHL MVP in 2003-04, said attention must be given to provide fans with the best possible product. The NHL is currently exploring ways to make the game more exciting, perhaps by adopting rule changes that would lead to a more open, offensive style of hockey.

"Obviously, the better this game does, the better we'll do as players and as a sport," St. Louis, also playing in the golf tournament, told the Guardian. "In the past...we maybe took it for granted a little bit, it was just there for us. But now I think we really have to make sure that we improve the game and bring fans in." 

To be honest, the negotiating with the swiss club is for pure leverage. There will be no shortage of offers for the #1 pick, once its taken. That being said, Crosby, while good, is going to have a hard time to live up to the hype. I fully expect if Buffalo, Nashville, Columbus, Carolina, or any other small market team gets the pick, Crosby goes into full 'I'm not going to sign with you' mode and gets to go where he wants, ala Eli Manning. Like Spezza and Lecavilier before him, he's not going to be 'the next one'. If I get the pick, and someone offers me a package I can't refuse (i.e. Young #1 franchise D-man, multiple 1st round picks, a proven star foward with good leadership skills), I have a hard time turning it down.