Game Day Atmosphere

CBusBillsFan

I am relatively new to posting on this board and I apologize if this has been posted before, but I would like to know out of the stadiums that you have been to, who has the best atmosphere? I am going to be a homer here and say Ohio State. Starting at Skull Session two hours before the game, basically a pep rally, to when the band does the famous ramp entrance, and having the stadium rock during O-H-I-O it really is something else. Plus, script Ohio is one of the better traditions in the country. I have been to Michigan and honestly it wasn't as loud as you might think for 110,000. Places I want to go to are, Death Valley (at night of course), Tennessee (although they are the team I hate almost as much at UM), a Rose Bowl (hopefully this year), and Notre Dame.

I wouldn't be able to say, as I've only been to UConn games in the college milieu. And that was during the past several years as they moved into D-I A. Sad to say, but that game day atmosphere of which you speak was much better before they moved to the new 40,000-seat stadium off-campus, about 30 minutes away, two years ago. At the old Memorial Stadium on-campus here were the old traditions of floats, parades to the stadium, students getting just rowdy enough, lots of tailgating and the smells of barbeque smoke all around on a warm October day, a really close and cozy view of the field.... these things are pretty much gone.

The scene at the new stadium is pretty sedate. Some of it caused by fiat. No gas-grilling tailgating allowed (I think they allow electric grills, whoopdeedoo), no throwing footballs allowed, etc., etc. Maybe it's just like a wife who won't let anyone eat in the living room with the new white rug.... Maybe in several years it will be better as more people become bigger fans and improvise in the tailgating strategem. The U is really trying to push Tradition, and they don't seem to understand that tradition doesn't come forcefully, it just happens by itself.

Sadly, some of that is starting to take place at Ohio State. The new President of the university is one Karen A. Holbrook. She is single-handedly ruining the atmosphere. No more grilling in most areas, no open containers of alcohol, and the worst of it is that she has enforced the student ticket rule. The ticket can only be used by the student with a Buck-ID, the college ID card. At a pep rally at the Alamo Bowl this year, she walked on stage and immediately had to leave because the boos were too loud.

I am relatively new to posting on this board and I apologize if this has been posted before, but I would like to know out of the stadiums that you have been to, who has the best atmosphere? I am going to be a homer here and say Ohio State. Starting at Skull Session two hours before the game, basically a pep rally, to when the band does the famous ramp entrance, and having the stadium rock during O-H-I-O it really is something else. Plus, script Ohio is one of the better traditions in the country.  I have been to Michigan and honestly it wasn't as loud as you might think for 110,000. Places I want to go to are, Death Valley (at night of course), Tennessee (although they are the team I hate almost as much at UM), a Rose Bowl (hopefully this year), and Notre Dame.

376215[/snapback]

Death Valley? Clemson, or LSU? I think they both refer to their places as Death Valley.

I've only been to a few college venues (Ohio State, Michigan, SMU, and, of course, Penn State), but Ohio State and Penn State were both pretty intense.

LSU of course, although I heard Clemson isn't bad either. Any of the military academies seem like an amazing place to see a game. All three have some variation on the March-On of Midshipmen, I've heard from a lot of people that it truly is one of the more spectacular traditions in all of sports.

Partial to USNA and Annapolis...small, 30K, but great tailgate environment, the March-On of Midshipmen, and after-the-game pubs of Annapolis, all make for a great Saturday.

376952[/snapback]

You know Ned, I've heard that from a bunch of people who live in the Baltimore area. Some go down there just to tailgate. They say it's that good. Then again, Baltimore hasn't got a clue about what a great tailgate is.

You know Ned, I've heard that from a bunch of people who live in the Baltimore area.  Some go down there just to tailgate.  They say it's that good.  Then again, Baltimore hasn't got a clue about what a great tailgate is.

376961[/snapback]

It is most definately worth the short drive from Baltimore...the trick is finding a designated driver for the ride home :lol:

It may be biased, it may not be, but I gotta go with my LSU Tigers. I really don't think there's another place in the country like Tiger Stadium on Saturday night. People begin tailgating on Friday night for a Saturday night game. A sea of RV's flow across the parking lots while thousands of fans throw tailgate parties bigger than the democratic conventions.

Right before gametime, the Tiger band marches down the hill towards the stadium. Apon entering, awaits 90,000+ hyped up and drunk BBQ smelling cajuns. Then the band enters and starts playing the pregame tune as goosebumps stand an inch high on your skin.

They park Mike the Tiger's cage right in front of the visitors locker room, so the only way to the field, they have to run around this huge hungry Tiger.

It's just breath taking, I invite anyone to pay a visit to BR for a night game in Death Valley, and dare anyone to find a better atmosphere for College football.

Here's a cool link with actual quotes from visiting players and coaches who visited Tiger Stadium.

http://tigerstadium.com/quotes.htm

I don't know about the best, but i can tell you about the absolute worst! NORTH CAROLINA @ chapel hill is TERRRRIBLE! please let me rant: 1st the old crappy stadium right in the middle of campus with NO where to park (which is weird for me to be upset about because we were on a tour bus trip to the game and we STILL had to WALK four freaking blocks to the stadium!) Thats how bad the parking IS! 2nd so being said that there is no parking, hence forthe ZERO tailgateing which is a crime in my book, not one single person i saw had a beer or anything but we had a small cooler full of beers, when we finally got near the stadium we leaned up aginst trees to drink our beer and within 5 mins 3 diff groups of people told us it was illegal to have open containers near the stadium! we had no choice all we had was a cooler so luckly someone gave us some cups, talk about $hitty coulda gone to jail for drinking beer at a FOOTBALL GAME! 3RD: all 9,000 or so people who actually bothered to show up (holds 30,000) all got to the game exactly 15mins before kickoff which lead to a mad dash to the seats which didnt matter because the freaking stadium is DRY! no alcohol whatsoever i dont mean to sound like a raging alcoholic but damn i like to tip a few before a football game i think thats my right as an american!

needless to say i'll never go back, EVER! thank goodness we kicked the crap outta them 34-0 i would've been very upset riding 400 miles going through all that and then lose

CajunBillsBacker, I really want to go to Death Valley to see a game. However, when it comes to the tradition of the bands, I will have to go with Ohio State. There is NOTHING like The Best Damn Band in the Land marching down the ramp or dotting the I in script ohio. However, that qoute about the shaking of the fence and screaming "Tiger Bait," sends chills down my spine...that must really be something.

It may be biased, it may not be, but I gotta go with my LSU Tigers. I really don't think there's another place in the country like Tiger Stadium on Saturday night. People begin tailgating on Friday night for a Saturday night game. A sea of RV's flow across the parking lots while thousands of fans throw tailgate parties bigger than the democratic conventions.

Right before gametime, the Tiger band marches down the hill towards the stadium. Apon entering, awaits 90,000+ hyped up and drunk BBQ smelling cajuns. Then the band enters and starts playing the pregame tune as goosebumps stand an inch high on your skin.

They park Mike the Tiger's cage right in front of the visitors locker room, so the only way to the field, they have to run around this huge hungry Tiger.

It's just breath taking, I invite anyone to pay a visit to BR for a night game in Death Valley, and dare anyone to find a better atmosphere for College football.

Here's a cool link with actual quotes from visiting players and coaches who visited Tiger Stadium.

http://tigerstadium.com/quotes.htm

377088[/snapback]

Cajun, I just may have to do that some time. Not for this season though. I'm going to 5 Bills games (4 @ RICH, 'Nawlins game) and possibly one Steeler game (Monday night game vs Ravens........on Halloween). Next year, I'm planning to make the trip to South Bend to watch my Nittany Lions FINALLY get a shot @ the Irish after 13 years! I may also try to attend the Bills @ Bears game next year, especially if they fall on the same weekend. If I do make it to Baton Rouge for a game, I'll try to catch up w/ you.

Guest nbmnb

michigan's gameday experience is one of the worst in the country. The fans are the least exciting. The crowd is relatively quiet and they just are annoying and that is extremely pathetic for a team that has a stadium with 100,000+ capacity. No disrespect to michigan football, im sorry if i offend you michigan fans. I attended a football game in ann arbor (michigan v purdue) I am a student at purdue. I was anticipating a great experience going to the storied "Big House". I really admire the rich history of michigan football. I was utterly disappointed. The purdue fans were louder. that's really sad. I love the purdue atmosphere and i can tell the osu experience sounds pretty cool. I have also heard that psu has a nice crowd thats loud. i must admit though that sometimes there are party poopers at purdue who are sour pusses. and its like come on, get some life, have some emotion for crying out loud. but overall i like the purdue gameday experience. maybe i picked a wrong day in ann arbor. I would hope so because i really do respect michigan football.

The LSU band marching down the hill looked really cool. Here are some traditions at Ohio State. The St. John Arena and The 'Shoe movie shows the band marching into Skull Session (a pre-game pep rally the packs the old 14,000 seat football arena) and running into the stadium. After they run into the stadium they go directly to the ramp for pre-game. The band is the only all brass and percussion band in the country. About 450 try out every year and only 225 make it. I am trying out this year for the first time, so I hope I make it.

OSU Traditions

The games are great down here at FSU...the entire campus turns into 1 giant tailgate, with cars, food, booze, and scantily clad women painted in garnet and gold EVERYWHERE!!! Our stadium isnt as big as some others (we only seat 85K or so), but the place gets rocking...last year i was at the gator game and had to scream just to talk to my friend sitting next to me...

I don't know about the best, but i can tell you about the absolute worst! NORTH CAROLINA @ chapel hill is TERRRRIBLE! please let me rant: 1st the old crappy stadium right in the middle of campus with NO where to park (which is weird for me to be upset about because we were on a tour bus trip to the game and we STILL had to WALK four freaking blocks to the stadium!) Thats how bad the parking IS!  2nd so being said that there is no parking, hence forthe ZERO tailgateing which is a crime in my book, not one single person i saw had a beer or anything but we had a small cooler full of beers, when we finally got near the stadium we leaned up aginst trees to drink our beer and within 5 mins 3 diff groups of people told us it was illegal to have open containers near the stadium! we had no choice all we had was a cooler so luckly someone gave us some cups, talk about $hitty coulda gone to jail for drinking beer at a FOOTBALL GAME! 3RD:  all 9,000 or so people who actually bothered to show up (holds 30,000) all got to the game exactly 15mins before kickoff which lead to a mad dash to the seats which didnt matter because the freaking stadium is DRY! no alcohol whatsoever i dont mean to sound like a raging alcoholic but damn i like to tip a few before a football game i think thats my right as an american!

needless to say i'll never go back, EVER! thank goodness we kicked the crap outta them 34-0 i would've been very upset riding 400 miles going through all that and then lose

377102[/snapback]

I saw more cell phones at that place than the mall...

I've heard that FSU games get pretty intense, I've always wanted to go to one. FSU-Miami on opening day is going to be crazy down there.

382623[/snapback]

yah it will be...i'm wondering if they are gonna cancel class the next day, seeing how 75% of the campus is going to be drunk/passed out/hung over/still partying...

The LSU band marching down the hill looked really cool. Here are some traditions at Ohio State. The St. John Arena and The 'Shoe movie shows the band marching into Skull Session (a pre-game pep rally the packs the old 14,000 seat football arena) and running into the stadium. After they run into the stadium they go directly to the ramp for pre-game. The band is the only all brass and percussion band in the country. About 450 try out every year and only 225 make it. I am trying out this year for the first time, so I hope I make it.

OSU Traditions

382219[/snapback]

Good Luck. One of my friends played bass drum on the Nat. Champ. Team. The best College game experience is OSU on band alumni weekend. I get chills watching 4 scprit Ohio's. gotta love it!

In my opinion (and according to the Sporting News and ESPN) the best game day experience in college football occurs in Knoxville when the Tennessee Volunteers play in Neyland Stadium. It's not just the size of the crowd---approaching 110,000---it's the Vol Navy anchored in the Tennessee River next to the stadium for two or three days before the game having an endless giant waterfront tailgate party, its the Pride of the Southland Marching Band playing outside the stadium a couple hours before gametime, its the Vol Walk and its the overwhelming color (mostly orange and white) displayed by the crowd. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone who's been to Neyland choose another site other than LSU at night. I wish Ohio State and Tennessee would set up a home and home series. The fans would get a treat at both schools.

I would love a home and home with Tennessee. I know that Archie is trying to set up some home and homes with some SEC teams. We've invited Florida to one almost every year and they always turn it dowm. Tennessee would be great because there are a lot of OSU Alumni living in the Florida area and it would be a chance for them to see a game fairly close. The one team I almost hate as much as Michigan is Tennessee. There has always been something about them I can't stand, I dont know why. I would love to watch a game at Neyland Stadium, but my blood boils everytime I hear Rocky Top, again, not sure why.

• 2 weeks later...
yah it will be...i'm wondering if they are gonna cancel class the next day, seeing how 75% of the campus is going to be drunk/passed out/hung over/still partying...

382649[/snapback]

Don't worry... the game will be over in the 1st quarter this year. The canes will be dancing (or stomping) at the 50 yard line at the end of this game.

Notre Dame is a great experience, but it's not so much the stadium itself as it is the entire morning on campus. The band, the parade through campus, visiting the dome and the Grotto, etc.

Penn State seemed to be the opposite experience -- more intense inside the stadium but not as much fun leading up to the game (it was more like an NFL game). But I was only there once, so I probably missed some good things.

UNC was a lot of fun too -- great atmosphere, and that was while they were medicore. I would imagine that some of the top southern teams (especially SEC) would be amazing. IMO, college football is just bigger in the south and midwest than in most of the north/northeast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.