Mouse traps

Frez

They make humane (no-kill) traps for rodents?  :devil:  Must be a PETA thing

376446[/snapback]

They've been around long befor PETA. One brand was Hav-A-Heart. It's a rectangular contraption, and when the animal strolls in and contacts the trigger plate, two metal flaps slam down at an approximate 30 degree angle, trapping the beast.

They've been around long befor PETA. One brand was Hav-A-Heart. It's a rectangular contraption, and when the animal strolls in and contacts the trigger plate, two metal flaps slam down at an approximate 30 degree angle, trapping the beast.

376488[/snapback]

I was aware of the "hav-a-hart" traps for larger animals such as skunks, raccoons, etc, as these are an effective alternative for people who don't have other means of exterminating these pests; and typically these creatures typically don’t take up residence in one’s home as do mice and rats. They pose more of a nuisance to gardens and shrubbery. But a humane trap for disease carrying filthy rodents is beyond me.

I was aware of the "hav-a-hart" traps for larger animals such as skunks, raccoons, etc, as these are an effective alternative for people who don't have other means of exterminating these pests; and typically these creatures typically don’t take up residence in one’s home as do mice and rats.  They pose more of a nuisance to gardens and shrubbery.  But a humane trap for disease carrying filthy rodents is beyond me.

376514[/snapback]

I'm not advocating such, only an item of general information...no subtle undercurrents or closet conspiracies. :devil:

The drawbacks are that they are expensive and if you decide to release the mice rather than kill them, you should release them far from house, so they don't wander back in later.

376440[/snapback]

Isn't it illegal to dispose of live animals wherever you want other than your

own backyard ?

Isn't it illegal to dispose of live animals wherever you want other than your

own backyard ?

376557[/snapback]

That could be. Someone warned us that if you DO want to release them, you should do it far enough from your house that they don't come back.

We killed the mice we caught so they wouldn't come back in the house.

Trust me on this one...I am an expert...not by training but by experience. My wife and I bought an old farm house about 5 years ago. It is next to a field and situated between a horse farm and a cow farm. We joke around that our house is on the mouse highway! Once fall comes around and the temperature starts to drop, we invariably get critters in the house, despite the fact that I have sealed every possible hole I could find with Good Stuff!

Get the plastic Victor mouse traps. They are a beige color and are sold in packages of two. Put a little peanut butter at the very back of the metal bar rather than on the front of it. It forces them to work for their food before they meet their maker! I would have to say that my success rate with these type of traps is >95%. Best of luck!

Great advice.  Not to starve them, but cut way down on their food and try to confine them in the area where the mouse is overnight with low lighting on.

Your cats may be too well fed and have forgotton their natural hunting instinct.

376407[/snapback]

If the mouse has rabbies or some other kind of ailment, he'll have dead cats, no?

Buy a mouse trap and put peanut butter on it, just keep the cats away from the traps.....or else

Is Dennis going to visit?

376694[/snapback]

looks like dennis is heading closer to us than eryn down in tampa, but it'll prolly make landfall west of here around pensacola or somewhere thereabouts...

Went with the old type mouse trap and peanut better. The first one was a big bastard, it will feed at least 3 of us. Found the trap and mouse out on the back deck. The cat must have toyed with it and dragged it out on the back deck. Nothing yet on the other 3 traps I have set.

It looks like it's going to be a good cookout at my place this weekend.

Who's in?

old fashion snap trap work best, since it's a mouse and not a rat they will go to it reguardless of where you put. Mice like to find and explore new items. the key is the bait, I use this, Gummy bears covered in Peanut butter. yes it sounds stupid but it will work, the mice chew on the PB but once they dig into the Bears, Bam you got them.

also if you have a black light you hippie, shine it in the kitchen, you'll see where they have gone since they run through their pee and it will show in a black light.

have fun.

Two points:

1) The sticky traps work great. Not only do they catch the mouse, but they don't die right away. You can get home from work at still see the sucker squirming.

2) Believe me, you do NOT have one mouse in your house. (hint: buy several of these sticky traps).