Curtis Martin

[Last year] "Martin not only produced 1,000 yards for the 10th straight year, he led the league with a career-best 1,697 yards, averaged a personal-high 4.6 yards a carry and scored 14 times -- including 12 rushing TDs. It marked the second time in the past eight years he scored 10 or more times rushing."

Source

Without LaMont Jordan sharing the load, do the Jets over-use Martin in the preseason, risking injury in the process?

Will the overuse of Martin last year and this year mean he tails off at the end of this season?

Martin plans to play one more year after this, it says.

Astro

Great running backs are quirky... they always seem to run strong and get HOF numbers, but then the bottom falls out before you even notice. I'd say martin is closing in on his brick wall, but nobody knows when he'll actually hit it, including himself. Till i actually see him start to suck badly, i'll predict he has an up year.

Great running backs are quirky...  they always seem to run strong and get HOF numbers, but then the bottom falls out before you even notice.  I'd say martin is closing in on his brick wall, but nobody knows when he'll actually hit it, including himself.  Till i actually see him start to suck badly, i'll predict he has an up year.

372672[/snapback]

Average year for Martin again- not too many highlights, but grinds out 1000 yards like usual. He doesn't face the Bills for the 2nd time until the last game of the year, so he only has to dodge a decapatating hit from TKO once before he picks up 1000. You gotta give him credit, he gets pounded, especially when teams crowd the line because of Pennington's dink-and-dunk style.

Losing Jordan hurts- he was a weapon.

[Last year] "Martin not only produced 1,000 yards for the 10th straight year, he led the league with a career-best 1,697 yards, averaged a personal-high 4.6 yards a carry and scored 14 times -- including 12 rushing TDs. It marked the second time in the past eight years he scored 10 or more times rushing."

Source

Without LaMont Jordan sharing the load, do the Jets over-use Martin in the preseason, risking injury in the process?

Will the overuse of Martin last year and this year mean he tails off at the end of this season?

Martin plans to play one more year after this, it says.

Astro

372658[/snapback]

The Jets brought in Derrick Blaylock from KC to replace Jordan. Not only will Blaylock see a lot of action in the pre-season, I see him getting 5-10 carries per game in the regular season spelling Martin.

He's the key to their entire season. He MUST have another monster year for the Jets to contend. With Chad P coming off major shoulder surgery and unable to throw long at present, teams will play up tight until the QB can beat them. They also have some questions in both the OL and DL.

Ripe for the plucking.

he's like the freaking nolan ryan of football. i don't know how he had a season like 2004 with all of that mileage. conventional wisdom would predict a significant falloff, but how can you bet against him?

despite the fact that he has always played for division rivals, i like CM. he's a class act and one of the "good guys" in football. i have tremendous respect for what he has accomplished.

So with all of this talk of pennington being hurt, cmart being old, etc... I dont think the jets are going to do very well this year. I dont think cmart will have a great year. he'll do ok as always, but struggle to reach is usual 1000. but wow, i suddenly look forward to our first game against the jests.

i'll say this, they won't be dethroning the pats, thats for sure.

He's the key to their entire season. He MUST have another monster year for the Jets to contend. With Chad P coming off major shoulder surgery and unable to throw long at present, teams will play up tight until the QB can beat them. They also have some questions in both the OL and DL.

Ripe for the plucking.

I think you nailed it on the head. C-Mart has his work cut out for him this year. Not only is he battling Father Time (otherwise known as Jerry Rice's brother in law), he doesn't have the O-Line he's enjoyed in years past. The Jets like the two young tackles they drafted in 2004 (Adrian Jones and Marko Cavka), but don't expect either to set the world afire this year. We hope C-Mart has a 1000-yard year--that's only 63 yards per game, well below his 100-per-game average last year.

he's like the freaking nolan ryan of football.  i don't know how he had a season like 2004 with all of that mileage.  conventional wisdom would predict a significant falloff, but how can you bet against him?

despite the fact that he has always played for division rivals, i like CM.  he's a class act and one of the "good guys" in football.  i have tremendous respect for what he has accomplished.

373484[/snapback]

I agree. I think he'll have another great year. Just hopefully not in games against us.

I think you nailed it on the head. C-Mart has his work cut out for him this year. Not only is he battling Father Time (otherwise known as Jerry Rice's brother in law), he doesn't have the O-Line he's enjoyed in years past. The Jets like the two young tackles they drafted in 2004 (Adrian Jones and Marko Cavka), but don't expect either to set the world afire this year. We hope C-Mart has a 1000-yard year--that's only 63 yards per game, well below his 100-per-game average last year.

373591[/snapback]

Toss in the Jets also let go of Anthony Becht in favor of Doug Jolley, the latter being less of a blocker. While C-Mart most likely put up the rushing totals he did last season he still should be good for 1,200 yards and 8 TDs.

I think the Offensive Coordinator is faily green, as well. He does like to use the TE deep rather than use the TE as a blocker, so this can hurt C-Mart's numbers in 2 ways--less blocking and more throwing.