Top 5 Reasons why Bills will make the Playoffs

I think the combination of starting a rookie Qb with no left tackle is going to

negate any other strides on offense.

368077[/snapback]

JP is not a rookie. there is a HUGE diffrence between a rookie starting QB, and a QB who will get his first start this season.

Wait a minute, where are you getting this about Edwards and Anderson?

Edwards had what, one good showing, and Anderson: has he even made a tackle?

tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy = No Talent

368343[/snapback]

Edwards has played well on several occasasions and Anderson is a 3rd round pick out of a big time program. Williams will be 33 in October and is showing serious signs of decline.

Why can't some of you accept when it's time to let an older player go, and to turn the reins over to younger players? And why do the younger guys automatically suck, when compared to football "gods" like Pat Williams?

And how do you think guys like Williams got to play when they were young?

God, it's a shame Tom Sestak died. He'd still be way better than these young guys.

JP is not a rookie. there is a HUGE diffrence between a rookie starting QB, and a QB who will get his first start this season.

368534[/snapback]

Great point. I have no idea why JP - who has had a full season to learn and get his feet wet, plus this off season to watch film, learn the playbook and study under Wyche - is constantly referred to as a rookie. Most rookie QBs haven't signed a contract or even learned their teammates names yet.

Continued questions on the end of the Dline and now our best Dlineman is gone

368195[/snapback]

IMHO Sam Adams was our best defensive lineman...

The continuing development Kelsay and Schobel will cover for any drop-off due to the loss of Williams...

I would say that toward the end of last season, the DE position was a strong point of the defense for the first time since Bruce was cut...

To counter, and I am not saying I know the answers, or even if they will be an issue:

368195[/snapback]

I agree with most of your questions, but I was just answering how the defense could be better despite having lost Williams.

I would also add that depsite all the questions marks, the offense has the chance to be explosive. If McGahee, Evans, and Losman perform at the top of their potential instead of the bottom, we could have a great offense.

Everytime I hear that comment I want to puke. Seems I recall last year before season started, people were talking about Seattle being a Super Bowl contender and St Louis was expected to also do well. Last year many people expected Cinn to do better than the year prior when 8-8 Pitt and Baltimore were certainly decent to good teams.

My point is so much can change from year to year, there's no way you can look at the schedule now and say it's tougher!

The team seemed very healthy last year and we won't be playing the NFC West.

8-8 next year.

368077[/snapback]

Wait a minute, where are you getting this about Edwards and Anderson?

Edwards had what, one good showing, and Anderson: has he even made a tackle?

tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy = No Talent

368343[/snapback]

Actually, "tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy" perfectly describes the much loved and lamented Pat Williams, at least during his prime. He wasn't mobile or athletic, but a tough infighter who held his ground and was a good run stopper - as long as Teddy and Sam occupied at least a couple of blockers.

To think Anderson can't be as good a player is somewhat shortsighted.

Everytime I hear that comment I want to puke.  Seems I recall last year before season started, people were talking about Seattle being a  Super Bowl contender and St Louis was expected to also do well.  Last year many people expected Cinn to do better than the year prior when 8-8  Pitt and Baltimore were certainly decent to good teams.

My point is so much can change from year to year, there's  no way you can look at the schedule now and say it's tougher!

368799[/snapback]

Yep, tis true...I remember looking at the schedule before last season and seeing the last game of the year at home against the Steelers....the 6-10 Steelers with huge QB questions....I remember thinking, "If the playoffs comes down to that game, I feel pretty good. Pittsburgh sucks." Whoops.

It is too hard to tell who's going to be good. The 2004 Chargers? Gag me if you say you saw that coming. The only constant every offseason for me is the unwavering belief that the Bills are going to the next Super Bowl. And with their schedule this year, it seems like a lock....

And not to mention the 8-8 St. Louis Rams making the playoffs....

It is just too early to make any such prediction...

Plus, we will never know if Pat Williams loss is going to be a big deal

or not until we play the game...May be Anderson steps up...may be

he does not...only way is to get your younger players in and ask them

to make plays.....Todays NFL is all about speed and aging veterans

cannot provide that....

Pat Williams was a good football player for the bills, but it was time

to move on with the younger players....You have to give the

oppurtunity to the younger players...otherwise why draft them....

Vincent will be healthy and our FS.  Mcgee will be improved.  We will have even more of a ballhawk secondary

368837[/snapback]

Plus, Kelsay should be better, and guys like Baker and Greer will have a year under their belts. And Edwards, by being a better pass rusher than Pat, may actually make the D line better.

For those of you asking how the defense could be better this season, here's something to consider.

Think back to last year: Izell Reese and Coy Wire were the safeties on opening day 2004. Wire lasted less than three games before being pulled off the field in the middle of a New England drive. That gave Pierson Prioleau his shot to start at SS against the Jets, and we all remember how well that worked. As for Reese, the coaches were so enthralled with his level of play that they turned to UDFA rookie Rashad Baker for the St. Louis game...

Back to the present. Barring injury, Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy will be the Bills' starting safeties in September.

Vincent/Milloy > Reese/Wire/Prioleau/Baker, wouldn't you say?

For those of you asking how the defense could be better this season, here's something to consider.

Think back to last year: Izell Reese and Coy Wire were the safeties on opening day 2004. Wire lasted less than three games before being pulled off the field in the middle of a New England drive. That gave Pierson Prioleau his shot to start at SS against the Jets, and we all remember how well that worked. As for Reese, the coaches were so enthralled with his level of play that they turned to UDFA rookie Rashad Baker for the St. Louis game...

Back to the present. Barring injury, Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy will be the Bills' starting safeties in September.

Vincent/Milloy > Reese/Wire/Prioleau/Baker, wouldn't you say?

369112[/snapback]

Lori,I agree with your assessment. However, I think they are going to have their work cut out for them as Williams was a force in the run game, keeping Oline off the LBers. Withot him there, we'll see how well Edwards, Anderson and Adams do keeping guys off Fletcher and Spikes. Now more then this is if Oline does get to second level and start putting bodies on the LB'ers, then Spikes and Fletcher are more apt to get injured. To me that is the scariest thought of our defense. I have no faith and have seen nothing good out of the backup Lb'ers when they have been in the game.

One thing that works against the Bills is that there is virtually zero chance that it will be a down year for the division.  The Pats are as consistent as can be and the Jets seem to have improved.  The Dolphins won't be terrible again.  Winning the division will be the a huge task and earning a wildcard is made difficult by the importance of AFC and division record tie-breakers.

Another issue is health.  The Bills have had some injuries, but I believe that dating back to the arrival of Gregg Williams and his emphasis on being in shape, Rusty Jones has had the Bills in exceptional health.  Jones is gone.  Will we see a return to the Wade Phillips era of incessant groin/muscle injuries?  It comes down to Mularkey and his emphasis on conditioning.

368138[/snapback]

The Fins will suck this year - no QB, no o-line, an old D which they are totally changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4. The Jets have a QB who is coming off serious injury-has not played a full season yet -is learning a new offense which features more throws downfield (with a bad arm). The Pats lost both O & D coaches. The Bills got Brad Roll to replace Rusty. He was with the Bucs a long time, including the Super Bowl year and is a good man. The Bucs have had very few injuries over the years.