top 10 albums last 20 years according to Spin

Pete

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alot of responses to this list so maybe your general broadside is directed at specific posts you do not specify rather than at all posts valuing oldsters over the youth that derive from them however.

However, there are clearly those who see great value in the older rockers and also the new ones. Do you really feel like if one embracing any new sounds then you must reject the old sounds?  there clearly is room for both in my record collection.

however, choosing the "top" albums of the last 20 years or overall is a different question. For me I can easily choose my top 100 of the past 20 years and with more difficulty but it can be done select a top 20 from the past 20 and it probably looks something like the Spin list.  However when choosing my top picks overall. criteria is the key thing and staying power is important so no albums from the last 5 years no matter how great I think they are musically makes my top overall list because they simply have not had enough time to exhibit staying power with the broader public or my own growing (it is to be hoped) musical tastes.

I do think those who are locked into 1984 are probably wrong with their best of lists as are those who are locked into 2004.

363237[/snapback]

Actually FFS (answering your post yet not directing my rant at you), I’m lashing out at people who view bloated arena “classic” rock as the zenith of musical talent, only because they sell more records and/or that’s the only thing they own or can hear on the radio.

My distinct problem is with the people who haven’t listened to even 10 seconds of something, yet are knowledgeable enough about music in their own mind (because they own every Zepplin’ record and got drunk at Lolapalooza) to say that something sucks.

They can pretend that those bands from the 60s and 70s were “great” bands because they put out two records in three years. But, I don’t count four 10 minute long songs with long guitar solos very prolific, and I sure don’t think releasing a double “live” record is either.

As for bands now-a-days, there are thousands of great bands out there touring their asses off in vans, releasing stuff on hundreds of independent labels that have the balls to release stuff that the people on this board think “sucks” because it doesn’t sound like everything else that has been rammed down their throats by corporate rock giants and format radio. But you know what, I’m glad, because that means they won’t get ruined and/or assimilated by all the people who they are railing against.

I'm almost 40 years old. As for the old vs. new, I have "old" stuff. Only my old stuff consists of bands like the Dead Kennedys, the Stooges, the Ramones and Black Flag. Someone go ahead and tell me that Jimmy Page was better than East Bay Ray. Tell me that "Who's Next" is more influential to music than Black Flag's "Damaged" is.

We're all SAVED!!!!

Reuters is reporting that singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday (June 21) he plans to revive the SMASHING PUMPKINS, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band's former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream".

The PUMPKINS' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

We're all SAVED!!!!

Reuters is reporting that singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday (June 21) he plans to revive the SMASHING PUMPKINS, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band's former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream".

The PUMPKINS' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

363443[/snapback]

*sigh*

of the top 10 and 91-100, i've owned...

1. "OK Computer," Radiohead

3. "Nevermind," Nirvana

93. Pearl Jam, Ten (Epic, 1991)

90. Sonic Youth, Sister (DGC, 1987)

haven't seen whats in between, but these should all be there...

Metallica "Master of Puppets", "And Justice For All", "Garage Days", and "Metallica"

Guns N Roses "Appetite for Destruction", "Use your Illusion I and II"

Alice In Chains "Dirt", "Jar of Flies", "Facelift"

Pantera "Far Beyond Driven", "Vulgar Display of Power"

Iron Maiden "Fear of the Dark"

Slayer "Seasons in the Abyss"

I wonder if they know that Ice Cube (aka O'Shea Jackson), has a degree in architectural drafting.  Also that Dr. Dre came from a middle class family.  Easy E was really a drug dealer.  So at least one person from the group has some real street credibility.

362730[/snapback]

First of all, how are you an authority on street credit? Second, Where do you get your info? Third, you're saying the rap album that revolutionized pop music in the nineties as well as invented an entire brand of hip-hop was engineered by record execs or people who pretended to be from the ghetto? If cube and dre were pretending, they sure did guess right.

P.S. you know nothing about hip-hop (if you do you failed to exhibit a trace of it in that comment)

First of all, how are you an authority on street credit?  Second, Where do you get your info?  Third, you're saying the rap album that revolutionized pop music in the nineties as well as invented an entire brand of hip-hop was engineered by record execs or people who pretended to be from the ghetto?  If cube and dre were pretending, they sure did guess right.

P.S. you know nothing about hip-hop (if you do you failed to exhibit a trace of it in that comment)

363692[/snapback]

I had 2 roommates in the army that grew up in south central Los Angeles. But hey, what do they know. :w00t::blink:

Madonna more important than the Beatles????

If the Beatles never existed,Madonna would be just another used up East Villiage tart.......

363569[/snapback]

I have no idea what you are talking about. The Beatles opened the US to European groups, but an American performer? nah...

By the way, I don't care much for either the Beatles or Madonna .

I could probably talk about music for days and not get tired of it (but the rest of you would). But I think the point of a list like this is not just album sales (a dubious category at best) or even what the mainstream thinks. Personally, I think the mainstream's taste exposes the public as sh-- for brains when it comes to music. How else to explain the popularity of a lyrically atrocious, average piano player like Billy Joel?

This is all to say that I think the main point of this list (and it succeeds in this) is that it shows what from the last 20 years has impacted not just listeners, but music itself. The Velvet Underground are way more important than the records they sold, because so many musicians listened to them and in turn made amazing music of their own (while the general public was too busy listening to the Monkees or some other tripe). Same thing with many of the artists/records on this list.

On that list, if it was a Rock list, I'd say Metallica and G&R, and Clapton's Unplugged are left off.  If it is any genre, then there ought to be something from Madonna, who has pretty much owned pop music for the 20 years.  At this point I would have to say, grudgingly, that she is more important to the evolution of pop music than the Beatles.

363183[/snapback]

Until now I wasn't aware Guy Ritchie posted on this board.

Also...as far as Cube and Dre go, that bit about Cube having a degree is 100% accurate, but I wouldn't say that that deprives him of street cred. Just because someone has a degree doesnt mean they didnt grow up rought. Also, it is not impossible for someone from a rougher background to better themself. Whether he was as involved as he claims is irrelevant, that NWA album was right on the money, at least to the best of my understanding.

Similarly, Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted should be on the list. Absolute classic. I could sit here and talk about music that should or should not be on that list all day(and from all genres), but it would be an excersize in futility because no matter what is said someone is going to come in and say, "Screw those bands, I'll take Foreigner, Jethro Tull and Foghat any day".

Yeah those are some really "great albums".  I'm sure all of about 500 people own a few of them.

362742[/snapback]

Hey, NWA's "straight outta compton" is seriously an all time classic. But as we all know, we're in Buffalo, where folks think music stopped being recorded sometime around the Led Zeppelin era. :w00t:

Do you really want to know?

Or do you already know?

362981[/snapback]

Fact is that I don't care either way.

Since she is 19 now, she is free to do what she wants.

It's part of growing up and learning.

I can only suggest the way things should be done in her life.