Six Years Ago Today....

Anyone remember the NHL draft later that summer?  Bettman called the Sabres up to the podium and stuck out his hand and Lindy walked right past him!

363562[/snapback]

I didn't know Ruff did that! I like it. I don't know if I would go as far as calling it a conspiracy. However, I would sure like to know what was said amongst those in charge as to whether the goal should have been reviewed at the very least, while the Stars were hoisting.

The league and the game officials did lose their focus. Are 3 OTs an excuse or an explanation?

I never liked the rule but it was the rule.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But nobody's remembered the worst sound from that night yet:  CLANG.  The sound of James Patrick hitting the crossbar in the opening minute of the 3rd OT.  :w00t::blink:

Anyone remember the NHL draft later that summer?  Bettman called the Sabres up to the podium and stuck out his hand and Lindy walked right past him!

363562[/snapback]

Ohh, I remember, right from the high slot.

The league and the game officials did lose their focus.  Are 3 OTs an excuse or an explanation?

I never liked the rule but it was the rule.

363585[/snapback]

And then the Zamboni doors flung open, allowing everybody and their brother onto the ice.

I liken it to the Immaculate Reception... It would have taken some serious nads to stop and say... "Hey, wait...It is a stupid rule but, it violates that rule and the goal shouldn't count." Balls the NHL never will have.

If he wasn't already my favorite player, he became my favorite player right then.    (By contrast, Wayne Gretzky dropped about a thousand points in my estimation of him with that bullshiit he spouted at the NHL awards later that month.)

I was at Fenway Park a week ago when Tommy Lasorda and Wayne Gretzky were throwing the ceremonial first pitch before the Reds/Red Sox game. (They were there to promote prostate cancer health.)

I was the one booing when Gretzky's name was announced.

And he threw like a wuss too.

I was at Fenway Park a week ago when Tommy Lasorda and Wayne Gretzky were throwing the ceremonial first pitch before the Reds/Red Sox game. (They were there to promote prostate cancer health.)

I was the one booing when Gretzky's name was announced.

And he threw like a wuss too.

364034[/snapback]

Good man. I will never forgive Gretzky for saying on national TV that that was a goal. I know he and Brett Hull are tight but that smelled so much like a setup by the league. You could just picture Bettman begging him to say something before he went on air "for the good of the league" or some stojan. All he did was destroy my respect for him, and I absolutely idolized the guy when I was a kid. Anyone who played in the NHL that year knew that was no !@#$ing goal.