Batman returns...great movie!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't seen the movie yet, stop reading now......

1.  Bruce was too much of a wuss when he was a kid and even until he "went away"... and even towards the end, after his house burnt down and he and Alfred were going to the cave... he was going to give up and Alfred had to convince him to keep going.  Bruce wasn't a wuss and he wasn't a scared little kid shivering and being haunted by his fear of bats from the time he was little. 

2.  Ra's Al Guhl didn't "teach" Bruce to overcome his fear and all that other crap.  I see why they did it, but I just think that it gives "The League of Shadows" (league of assasins in the comics by the way) too much credit for the making of the Batman.  Being told to "become the night" and turn the fear against the criminals, etc... Batman didn't get those ideas from Ra's.  Batman is an extremely intelligent kick ass character and I think they gave other people too much credit for his "creation"

3.  Bruce thinks his parents died because "he made them leave the opera"... again because of his fear of bats.  WHATEVER... I think this is an un-neccessary change.  and I HATE when Hollywood changes things important to the original character for no good reason.  Again, I understand what they were doing with the entire movie, but I think they changed this for no reason.  If they were going to use it to have Bruce vow at his parents grave to avenge their deaths or "take back the night" or whatever, I could deal a little better... but they didn't even do that.

360000[/snapback]

I can agree with you on these points even if I didn't have as big of a problem with them as you seem to have.

Spoilers past here!!!!!!!!!!!

The one thing that I took issue with was Bruce Wayne giving away his secret identity so quickly to Rachel. I mean one of the biggest reasons for him becoming Batman was to protect those in his life. Overall I thought Rachel was the Jar Jar Binks of this movie. Her character didn't add anything to the story IMO.

{SPOILERS}

I also loved this movie. A fantastic re-start of what began as a great franchise with Burton at the helm.

Couple of knick-knacky points:

- A little bit more humor would have been good. It is a movie, after all.

- Rachel Dawes character sucked and so did Katie Holmes as an actress

- I am one that did not particularly like Bale's dialog delivery. Some appropriate voice modulation would have been good.

- Liam Neeson was not menacing enough

you know it's a good movie when your fiance who normally has no interest in action movies or comics turns to you in the middle of the movie while batman is flying through the air and says "this movie is f*cking awesome"

you know it's a good movie when your fiance who normally has no interest in action movies or comics turns to you in the middle of the movie while batman is flying through the air and says "this movie is f*cking awesome"

360396[/snapback]

Wow definitely going to have to see this. It's showing at the IMax here. Gonna do that I think.

Wow definitely going to have to see this. It's showing at the IMax here. Gonna do that I think.

360416[/snapback]

I think this movie would be amazing in an IMax. I may have to check that out in the next few weeks.

Anyway, I saw the movie last night, absolutely loved it. My only minor complaint was that I didn't like Bale's Batman voice. It just didn't sound right.

I don't remember ever seeing Gary Oldman playing a good guy. That was different, but good.

I understand the new franchise intends to ignore the old one.  Smart move.

359993[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. The recent Batman films were horrid but this looks like it will follow the old dark knight version, which is how it was supposed to be done in the first place. I will see this and thanks to all for the positive news/reviews.

I think this movie would be amazing in an IMax.  I may have to check that out in the next few weeks.

Anyway, I saw the movie last night, absolutely loved it.  My only minor complaint was that I didn't like Bale's Batman voice.  It just didn't sound right.

I don't remember ever seeing Gary Oldman playing a good guy.  That was different, but good.

360500[/snapback]

Imax showing in Cincinnati

http://www.cincinnatimovietimes.com/movies...8610.php?date=0

There is some talk of Crispen Glover playing The Joker in the next film....personally, I think that would be cool as sh*t.

By the way, if anyone wants to see Christian Bale act his arse off, check out 'The Machinist'.....good movie, great acting.

359869[/snapback]

Another good Bale movie is 'Equilibrium'. The cops use a martials arts with pistols style called Gunkata, IIRC. Pretty intense.

Glover's character in Charlie's Angels was fantastic. The movie as a whole sucked, but that sword-wielding hitman thing was pretty cool.

359964[/snapback]

lol, I still don't get the whole Charlie's Angles thing. Every time they showed those scenes that were Matrix-esque I just sat there and laughed. I know it was meant to be entertaining and not taken all that seriously, I just thought a lot of it was kinda goofy. I remember when my ex and I rented the second one, there was this scene in the beginning where some (maybe all, I honestly can't remember) of the 'angels' were falling and trying to get themselves out of some situation. It was so silly and so far beyond the laws of physics that we were both embarrassed to be sitting there watching it lol.

But yeah, I thought C. Glover was pretty damn good in that film, and I think it gave him some needed exposure. The guy is totally and completely off is rocker, but he can also act. I'd love to see him take a stab at the Joker.

Another good Bale movie is 'Equilibrium'. The cops use a martials arts with pistols style called Gunkata, IIRC. Pretty intense.

360578[/snapback]

Good call! I saw that movie a year or two ago and was really surprised how good it was.

Bale's role in American Psycho was an absolute masterpiece.  I have a lot of respect for him as an actor and am looking forward to seeing this movie.

Is it true he's British?

360580[/snapback]

Yes hes a true brit. From Wales. What is most interesting about Bale is that hes gone a long way in his acting career. He was the lead star in the 80's movie Empire of the Sun when he was just a kid.

Although the first batman was a classic in its own special way. Tim Burton's style of directing does not fit the style that Batman portrays. Tim Burton also failed to make Batman seem "scary". Although Michael Keaton played Batman well as Batman, he was no Bruce Wayne. He looked nothing like a Bruce Wayne and acted nothing like Bruce Wayne should have either. Christian Bale was perfect for this role. I thought Nolan directed the movie well, and i am defintely looking forward to the next Batman.