Victor Davis Hanson's Truth Bombs

Politicized faculty, infantilized students, and mediocre classes have combined to erode the prestige of college degrees, even at once elite colleges. A degree from Columbia no longer guarantees either maturity or preeminent knowledge but is just as likely a warning to employers of a noisy, poorly educated graduate more eager to complain to Human Resources than to enhance a company’s productivity.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

Politicized faculty, infantilized students, and mediocre classes have combined to erode the prestige of college degrees, even at once elite colleges. A degree from Columbia no longer guarantees either maturity or preeminent knowledge but is just as likely a warning to employers of a noisy, poorly educated graduate more eager to complain to Human Resources than to enhance a company’s productivity.

I'm sure those poor Columbia kids are regretting not going to Fresno State.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm sure those poor Columbia kids are regretting not going to Fresno State.

LOL.

How predictable.

Another 'decree' from the mountaintop.

Best selling author for decades,

Winner of multiple national writing awards,

Visiting professor of classics at Stanford University, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, School of Public Policy at Pepperdine University,

Since 2004, Hanson has written a weekly column syndicated by Tribune Content Agency,

Winner of multiple national journalism awards

BU, you know, Frankie  thinks  feels he knows better.

Always a hoot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

LOL.

How predictable.

Another 'decree' from the mountaintop.

Best selling author for decades,

Winner of multiple national writing awards,

Visiting professor of classics at Stanford University, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, School of Public Policy at Pepperdine University,

Since 2004, Hanson has written a weekly column syndicated by Tribune Content Agency,

Winner of multiple national journalism awards

BU, you know, Frankie  thinks  feels he knows better.

Always a hoot.

Fresno State, St. Bonaventure, Columbia .. one of these things is not like the others.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I was responsible for hiring entry level students in my firm. The kids coming out of smaller colleges, and even those that began their education at community and junior colleges proved to be much better employees, in both performance and attitude. And it wasn't even close.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Fresno State, St. Bonaventure, Columbia .. one of these things is not like the others.

What he cannot face,

He hides behind laughably poor attempts at smears.

Frank is transparent.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What he cannot face,

Frank is transparent.

Hanson's inferiority complex is what drives a stupid comment like his. Nobody - NOBODY - is hiring a Fresno State grad over a Columbia grad. It's fine to say that Columbia's reputation has taken a hit. But its grads will do just fine.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What he cannot face,

Frank is transparent.

It's all because of......

QANON!!!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hanson's inferiority complex is what drives a stupid comment like his. Nobody - NOBODY - is hiring a Fresno State grad over a Columbia grad. It's fine to say that Columbia's reputation has taken a hit. But its grads will do just fine.

Still fixated on his College instead of on his vast accomplishments.

The board members can easily see where the inferiority complex lies.

It is the rule for Frank and many others here,

Cannot remotely compete with conservative writers and ideas,

are reduced to "unclever repartee"  to hide it.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I was responsible for hiring entry level students in my firm. The kids coming out of smaller colleges, and even those that began their education at community and junior colleges proved to be much better employees,

Agree.  I would dig to see what obstacles they overcame.  As most people don't like to highlight the negatives.  But it showed the ability to overcome obstacles. many from the high end colleges couldn't have pathetic examples or couldn't come up with anything. As they hadn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Still fixated on his College instead of on his vast accomplishments.

The board members can easily see where the inferiority complex lies.

It is the rule for Frank and many others here,

Cannot remotely compete with conservative writers and ideas,

are reduced to "unclever repartee"  to hide it.

:lol:

Short response:

Hanson is a good writer. He used to write for National Review if I remember correctly. He expanded some articles into a book, Mexifornia. It focused on the negative impacts of uncontrolled immigration into the CA Central Valley that he grew up in and still loves. It is a good book, (well, at least the articles were good articles; I never read them republished in book form) foretelling some of the problems of mass immigration before many others. This kind of stuff made him a darling of the anti-immigration right. Then like many others, he started to feed those people what they wanted to hear. His writing became more polemic, less insightful. And now he's reduced himself to a clickbait tweeter.

I'll take Spot The Outlier for $1000 Alex.

Fresno State, St. Bonaventure, Columbia.

What is one school condones and supports anti-semitic terrorists, the other two don't. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:40 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

I'd hire  a UB grad over a Stanford grad any day. Worked at Stanford  from '95-'97.   Graduate degrees were good, but the undergrad degree at that time wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Might have changed since then, but at that time you could  resign from the class until the last week of the semester  and not have it appear on your transcript. You could take the class multiple times with only the final  time showing on the transcript.

Just now, Wacka said:

I'd hire  a UB grad over a Stanford grad any day. Worked at Stanford  from '95-'97.   Graduate degrees were good, but the undergrad degree at that time wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Might have changed since then, but at that time you could  resign from the class until the last week of the semester  and not have it appear on your transcript. You could take the class multiple times with only the final  time showing on the transcript.

One semester in law school I did an internship. One of my fellow interns was a Stanford Law student. He was also a full-time commercial pilot for a major airline, and had been for years. How did he ever get through law school? He told me pilots have a lot of down time so he'd study then. What about class? He said he'd go on the first day and then fix his schedule so he was free for exams. And they gave out A grades like candy.

So, yeah, you do have a point. But they still rule the world (if they want to).

Posted (edited)

Webb Hubbel and Hillary's  daughter, Chelsea  is a Stanford  grad. We had an undergrad student in the lab one semester that was in the DKE fraternity. DKE  was the  closest to a real life Delta House there. He said Chelsea  would attend all the weekend parties and get s-faced every weekend. The Secret Service would stand guard outside the frat house. DKE got kicked off campus the next year.

Edited by Wacka

Just now, Wacka said:

Webb Hubbel and Hillary's  daughter, Chelsea  is a Stanford  grad. We had an undergrad student in the lab one semester that was in the DKE fraternity. DKE  was the  closest to a real life Delta House there. He said Chelsea  would attend all the weekend parties and get s-faced every weekend. The Secret Service would stand guard outside the frat house.

Raises my opinion of Chelsea? Not the Stanford grad thing. No - the thing about getting s-faced every weekend. That's the way to do it.

The Webb Hubbell thing is hilarious. I must have missed that nutso theory. Chelsea's appearance is clearly a mash-up of the worst features of Hillary and Bill.