2024 Draft Embedded--Has Dropped.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:38 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Yeah, McDermott goes to the Scouting Combine but he has no interest in scouting the players.

Got it.

He doesn't scout the players. Every time you see a scouting box shot from the Combine it is Beane and his staff. McDermott goes for the interviews to get under the skin of them as people. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/12/2024 at 3:16 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Matt, I do get your point. But what (at least imo) HAS to be factored in was that we needed a quarterback desperately. We had been seriously lacking at that position since Kelly retired, unless you want to count Bledsoe for one half season. You saw the list above of the QBs on our roster in 2017. We needed a QB far more than a cornerback. 

People can make the case that other teams passed on Mahomes and this is true. Still, it was up to a well paid McDermott to recognize Mahomes' talent. Some of the posters on this board were furious. In subsequent drafts, McDermott continued to go after defensive players with early picks, twice even trading up in round one for them, and also drafting a DT at #9. 

Again, I am more than happy with Josh Allen. He is one of my all time favorite players but this isn't the point that I'm tryimg to make. I am simply making the case that this was an ill advised trade.

I don't deny that the Bills needed a QB badly. I wanted them to take one in 2017 and was frustrated then that they didn't quite apart from Mahomes turning out to be generational. It was an ill advised trade. However, I'm not sure the bolded line is true. That really isn't is his skillset. Asking a defensive coordinator to be an expert QB evaluator is a high bar IMO. I agree it was a miss by the Bills and a mistake... but I put it on the organisation and how it got to the place where it hired McDermott in January and retained Whaley as a lame duck GM through April more than I blame it on McDermott himself. And that goes right back to the catalogue of mistakes the Pegulas made in running this franchise until the point when Sean McDermott walked through the door. I don't have any faith that the Pegulas know what they are doing at all. I respect them keeping the team in Buffalo but when you look down the road at their running of the Sabres I think the reality is they are bad sports owners who lucked out getting McDermott and then eventually Beane into the building and letting them run the team. If they had hired Vance Joseph, Anthony Lynn, Frank Reich or any of the other bums they interviewed in that cycle or Keith Butler who Whaley was pushing them to interview this franchise would likely still be spinning its wheels trying to nose a game above .500 every year. 

That doesn't, before anyone says this is my argument, mean McDermott gets a free pass forever. He doesn't. And fear that the Pegulas would screw up the next hire (their history says they probably will) shouldn't stop them moving on from McDermott and Beane if it gets to that stage. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't scout the players. Every time you see a scouting box shot from the Combine it is Beane and his staff. McDermott goes for the interviews to get under the skin of them as people. 

Bill, you can call it what you want. Scouting consists of more than just video analysis or attending games or practices in person.

Was McDermott scouting or not when he was almost run over by Ed Oliver at the Oliver's Pro Day Workout?

Do you think the Bills drafted Tre'Davious White and Ed Oliver without McDermott doing a fair amount of "talent evaluation" beforehand?

I think it is clear that there were players who could have slipped in round 1 that Buffalo would have been glad to pick at #28.  That just tells me that Beane is adaptable.  It one scenario doesn't work out, he has a plan B and plan C ready to implement as needed.  Coleman was plan B, but that's OK.  That's the way the draft works, especially for teams drafting at the end of the first round. 

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Bill, you can call it what you want. Scouting consists of more than just video analysis or attending games or practices in person.

Was McDermott scouting or not when he was almost run over by Ed Oliver at the Oliver's Pro Day Workout?

Do you think the Bills drafted Tre'Davious White and Ed Oliver without McDermott doing a fair amount of "talent evaluation" beforehand?

Well he was the de-facto GM in 2017 so clearly that year he was the decision maker when they took Tre White. But beyond that he isn't. And hasn't been. He has input but Brandon Beane is the GM. Brandon Beane runs personnel. Brandon Beane's is the opinion that counts. Of course he seeks input from his coaches. But McDermott does not run our drafts or dictate who gets picked.

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch this.  Sure, it’s propaganda, but it’s damn hard not to like guys like Coleman, Carter, Davis, etc., and be excited for what they can bring.  Also really cool to see players’ families react so positively to the Bills.  We are upper-echelon NFL now, and guys know it.

This was a fun watch.