Deion Jones signed to 1-year deal per Schefter

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t understand why we continue yo sign and draft off ball LBs while our WR room looks like it does.  Maybe they have plans post 6/1?   

They continue to sign wrs of about the same caliber as the off ball lbs.  the difference is obsession with wrs. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Might not be too late.  Chicago bought K Allen and just drafted Rome.  Moore has a reasonable $16M salary and we have some draft capital.

$16M may be reasonable for the guy, but not for the Bills present cap situation, particularly in a year where they are making a conscious effort to clear up the cap so they can go back to normal operations next year.

Also don't think the Bears get rid of him.

The likelihood is that if they bring in another guy he'll prolly be in the Beckham - Chark salary range of around $5M or so.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They continue to sign wrs of about the same caliber as the off ball lbs.  the difference is obsession with wrs. 

It’s an infinitely more important position. Look at the contracts of off the ball LBs compared to WR. Additionally, the top of the LB room >>>>> the top of the WR room

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

$16M may be reasonable for the guy, but not for the Bills present cap situation, particularly in a year where they are making a conscious effort to clear up the cap so they can go back to normal operations next year.

Also don't think the Bears get rid of him.

The likelihood is that if they bring in another guy he'll prolly be in the Beckham - Chark salary range of around $5M or so.

Chark signed with the Chargers.

You can’t get DJ Moore because the Bears will never move him. If he were on the market, the Bills should ABSOLUTELY push in their chips. That IS the kind of guy that you clear your cap position to chase. DJ Moore is coming off a year of 96 receptions, 1,364 yards and 8 TDs with Justin Fields as his QB. What’s the point of having cap space if you wouldn’t use it on that guy?!? 😂😂 

It doesn’t matter though as he isn’t available. It was just a weird comment to say, “pass on DJ Moore at $16M because we need to clear our cap situation but go ahead and give DJ Chark $6M.”

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s an infinitely more important position. Look at the contracts of off the ball LBs compared to WR. Additionally, the top of the LB room >>>>> the top of the WR room

So 15M vs 30M....2X - infinite?  I am not arguing LB is more important than WR, we agree on which is more important.  But reacting to a low end signing filling out the 90 man roster because they signed a LB and its not a WR is irrational.  If they signed a off ball LB to a big contract I would agree.

People on this website are not grasping how significant the new kick off rule is going to change the game. They will when the games start. Hence the Bills signing and prioritizing Linebackers this off season. 

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So 15M vs 30M....2X - infinite?  I am not arguing LB is more important than WR, we agree on which is more important.  But reacting to a low end signing filling out the 90 man roster because they signed a LB and its not a WR is irrational.  If they signed a off ball LB to a big contract I would agree.

Yes, WRs are INFINTIELY more important than off the ball LBs. 

We do agree that a guy competing for the 6th LB isn’t a big deal. I think that a WR competing for the 6th WR spot isn’t a big deal either. I do understand why some people might be frustrated though. If the thinking is, “it feels like we have spent a lot more time reworking the bottom of the LB depth chart, than the top of the WR depth chart” that’s fair.

I understand that their were limited resources but I have hard time justifying a ST, off the ball LB, that will be 5th or 6th on your depth chart over Malik Washington & Ryan Fluornoy who might have played significant snaps at WR with upside. You were (and still are) desperate at WR but have prioritized off the ball LB depth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

People on this website are not grasping how significant the new kick off rule is going to change the game. They will when the games start. Hence the Bills signing and prioritizing Linebackers this off season. 

Good point....it could be chaos.  I'm not too thrilled with the change.  I'd have just moved the kicker back 10 yards personally and take away the fair catch 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills are hilarious sometimes. Last year at this time we didn’t know we had 2 starters and they do nothing at LB. This year they are loading up at LB. 

So weird. Maybe they are planning to run more 3 LB sets.

But, I remember hearing how the new kickoff rule makes having a lot of LBs more likely. You know how the Bills love special teams. This is probably it.

They better love special teams and be prepared for the new kick off rule. Teams who don't respect it are gonna find themselves giving up tds for not being prepared. I can't wait to see the collective shock of the media and casual fans when 30 kick off tds are scored in the the first half of the NFL season. I am quite honestly shocked this isn't being discussed more but I guess talking about low hanging fruit topics such as the Bills not drafting a receiver in 4th round so their season is over before it starts are more important to talk about.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, WRs are INFINTIELY more important than off the ball LBs. 

We do agree that a guy competing for the 6th LB isn’t a big deal. I think that a WR competing for the 6th WR spot isn’t a big deal either. I do understand why some people might be frustrated though. If the thinking is, “it feels like we have spent a lot more time reworking the bottom of the LB depth chart, than the top of the WR depth chart” that’s fair.

I understand that their were limited resources but I have hard time justifying a ST, off the ball LB, that will be 5th or 6th on your depth chart over Malik Washington & Ryan Fluornoy who might have played significant snaps at WR with upside. You were (and still are) desperate at WR but have prioritized off the ball LB depth.

I contend you don't know what the word "INFINTIELY" means.  Go Bills...to infinity and beyond!

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Good point....it could be chaos.  I'm not too thrilled with the change.  I'd have just moved the kicker back 10 yards personally and take away the fair catch 

I love the change. It adds another wrinkle of creativity and gives teams an extra edge if they're prepared for it. Special teams have been under valued for far too long in the NFL. 

CFL is a much worse game but their special teams play is more exciting than the NFL. That's unacceptable if you're the NFL. Football is a three phase game and the NFL had done everything in its power to make it offense vs defense with limited variables. Not anymore. 

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t understand why we continue yo sign and draft off ball LBs while our WR room looks like it does.  Maybe they have plans post 6/1?   

Research the new kick off rule and you'll have the answer to your question. Furthermore off ball linebacker depth is cheap. You want the Bills to sign a receiver now with 3 million in cap space or to wait post June 1st with 10 million extra in cap space? Bills aren't done at receiver but they have to wait a bit before having the cap space to sign (or trade) for one who might make a difference.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I contend you don't know what the word "INFINTIELY" means.  Go Bills...to infinity and beyond!

Sweet comeback bro!! Emma Stone Burn GIF by PeacockTV

If you like signing LBs that were pro bowlers in 2017 and, PS players in 2023, cool. I prefer to address the 2nd most important position in football, for a team that has the worst WR room in the NFL. To each their own 🍻

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Linebacker 6 with the new kick off rule is more important than receiver 6. Receiver 1 through 3 is more important than linebacker 1 through 3. Although Bernard and Milano are pretty damn important. As we witnessed when both went out. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you like signing LBs that were pro bowlers in 2017 and PS players in 2023, cool. I prefer to address the 2nd most important position in football, for a team that has the worst WR room in the NFL. To each their own 🍻

Bills did address the 2nd most important positions in football by drafting a defensive end and Offensive Tackle. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you like signing LBs that were pro bowlers in 2017 and, PS players in 2023, cool. I prefer to address the 2nd most important position in football, for a team that has the worst WR room in the NFL. To each their own 🍻

Thanks for admitting that.   Its filling out the 90...this is literally a nothing signing.   You prefer 25 WR's who run reps at LB in camp I guess.

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This off season they've brought in Morrow and drafted LBer late combined with how almost secretive they have been about the Milano injury since day 1 while having a guy they liked enough to draft in Round 3 last year and Spector. And now this. 

They aren't approaching the LBer room in a way that leads me to believe they think an All Pro LBer is returning at the start of the season. Not saying he's not, of course. Just taking a lot of bites at the LBer apple for a team that only plays 2 at a time (with some coverage on STs.)

This is exactly what I thought when they announced this signing. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On this they'd have loved to bring Dodson back IMO. Had Milano never got hurt, had Dodson never had the chance to play and showcase his ability I am all but certain he'd be here again on a 1 year vet minimum type deal. But once he got in and played as he did (and I think the Bills always had a ton of faith in him hence he made the team as an UDFA and they stuck with him every year thereafter) he was always going to get paid low end starter money and the Bills couldn't afford that for a guy who was essentially going to be a backup for them. I think he and Dane Jackson both fitted into that category. Guys the Bills would have loved to have back on backup salaries ($1.5-2m) but couldn't afford to have back on low end starter salaries (they both got $4.25m) given their cap situation. 

You're likely correct that other things being equal, the Bills would have preferred to bring Dodson and Jackson back, because the Bills do love to hang on to their backups and STers and McDermott values continuity and leadership.

But Beane and McDermott have also promoted the idea that their backup LB can step in and start - 'next man up'.  And clearly, the Bills didn't have faith in Dodson as an MLB, or they wouldn't have persuaded Klein to park his RV and hop on a plane.  When you have 4 backup LBs, two of them seasoned vets, and the answer to injury is "platoon the role" or "bring in a guy off the couch", I think it can be argued you need change at the backup LB position.  And I think McDermott and Beane must realize that.

I would argue that showed a different path at vet backup was needed.  And at least on paper, Morrow looks like an upgrade - a guy who has had the green dot on his helmet in games, a low-end starter, but willing to play ST - potentially closer to what AJ Klein was in 2020/2021 when he was ahead of Dodson on the depth chart.

Dodson wasn't getting vet min from the Bills, BTW - $2.1M, fully guaranteed.  Matakevich was getting $2.5M, also fully guaranteed.  Dane Jackson, also $2.1M  IT's not like any one of these salaries is exorbitant, but one argument about the Bills cap management is that they've been spreading a lot of their cap out to backups and ST guys.  That's served the Bills well in a lot of ways, but then Beane tells us he's not able to add top FA at edge and WR.  It may be something Beane needs to do differently to get over the top is be willing to "churn" a bit more and have less seasoned players or vets like Morrow

11 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Linebacker 6 with the new kick off rule is more important than receiver 6. Receiver 1 through 3 is more important than linebacker 1 through 3. Although Bernard and Milano are pretty damn important. As we witnessed when both went out. 

Bills did address the 2nd most important positions in football by drafting a defensive end and Offensive Tackle. 

I’ll be okay calling pass rusher as the 2nd most important position. Offensive tackle is nowhere near as important as WR. Again, look at the contracts being signed right now. We try to convince ourselves that areas that we are good at are more important than areas that we aren’t good at.

Importance of position:

QB - Bills are elite

WR - Bills are bottom 3

DL (all inclusive) - Bills are average with talent but may get results with volume

CB - Bills average to good

OT - Bills good

C - Bills average (although Van Pran could be a steal)

S - Bills average

RB - Bills are above average

LB - Bills are elite if Milano is healthy

OG - Bills average to above average

ST - Bills are average

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Thanks for admitting that.   Its filling out the 90...this is literally a nothing signing.   You prefer 25 WR's who run reps at LB in camp I guess.

Who said that? Don’t make stuff up to strengthen your 🗑️ perspective.

i know Jones from Madden 21 or 22? maybe , ultimate team, he had one of the highest rated cards for LBs. 

If not familiar,  it's basically Madden where you create your own team and gain points through challenges and live games and can accumulate cards and make your own roster.

Not that it means much but ya, Jones was one of the best lbs