The "who I would've drafted instead" re-draft, 2024 edition. Are you smarter than the GM?

Logic

On 4/27/2024 at 10:03 PM, DJB said:

Will you be bumping this thread in 3 years so we know the results ?

That’s not how the “I know better than the GM” game works haha. 

Instead they will be make a new mock in 3 years with their draft choices with 20/20 hindsight vision. 

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Put your money where your mouth is.  I’ll bet you up to $500 that mckonkey plays a higher percent of snaps from the slot than Coleman does. 

Who said anything about McConkey?  Where he plays has nothing to do with Coleman.  Keon is better suited as a big slot WR than he is an X.  He’s going to have to play primarily outside in Buffalo due to the lack of other options, but it’s not like Franklin would only have been an option in the 3rd if Roman Wilson had been drafted instead of Coleman.

The thread was about who you would have taken at each spot.  I would have gone with Johnny Newton in the first.  He’s an impact DT who would start day 1.  Then I’d have gone with Wilson in the second as a pure slot WR with Franklin in the third as a true X.  Franklin is a bit of a boom or bust guy who is honestly more likely to bust than boom.  Hell, Newton is boom or bust as well.  I just think that it’s time for Beane to take a few swings at stars.

Everyone here loves to criticize McDermott for not winning the big one, but this team is sorely lacking in true difference makers.  It’s the GM’s job to find superstars, and it’s the coach’s job to coach up and scheme around the JAGs so that the superstars can do their thing.  Beane swung for the fences with his first ever draft pick and hit it out of the park, and he’s proceeded to play small ball ever since then.  

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

Who said anything about McConkey?  Where he plays has nothing to do with Coleman.  Keon is better suited as a big slot WR than he is an X.  He’s going to have to play primarily outside in Buffalo due to the lack of other options, but it’s not like Franklin would only have been an option in the 3rd if Roman Wilson had been drafted instead of Coleman.

The thread was about who you would have taken at each spot.  I would have gone with Johnny Newton in the first.  He’s an impact DT who would start day 1.  Then I’d have gone with Wilson in the second as a pure slot WR with Franklin in the third as a true X.  Franklin is a bit of a boom or bust guy who is honestly more likely to bust than boom.  Hell, Newton is boom or bust as well.  I just think that it’s time for Beane to take a few swings at stars.

Everyone here loves to criticize McDermott for not winning the big one, but this team is sorely lacking in true difference makers.  It’s the GM’s job to find superstars, and it’s the coach’s job to coach up and scheme around the JAGs so that the superstars can do their thing.  Beane swung for the fences with his first ever draft pick and hit it out of the park, and he’s proceeded to play small ball ever since then.  

My bad-  I thought you had quoted a different post.

We have 2 slot WRs in Samuel and Shakir plus Kincaid.  Why would we draft yet another pure slot over a potential X considering the state of our current roster?  That is what I was referring to.  Drafting a 3rd/4th slot option over an outside guy would be a blunder. 

I agree about Newton.  I was hoping for another trade back.  If we stayed put, I wanted to draft Newton or Dejean and then trade up from 60 for an X.  I wouldn’t draft a 3rd slot.

Slot may very well be Coleman’s best option out of the gate, but he has the physicality to play Gabes role and continue to improve (He’s only 20).  Brady/McD want a physical type that can lay the wood in the run game as well as be a deep threat.  Neither Wilson nor Franklin can ever be that.  Coleman is that. That’s just the reality of the situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Post draft

Bruce Nolan, formerly of Buffalo Rumblings - appearing with Joe Marino on the Locked on Bills Podcast

33 WR Lad McConkey, Georgia - picked 34 by Chargers
60 S Cole Bishop, Utah - same as the Bills
95 WR Troy Franklin, Oregon - picked 102 by Broncos
128 CB T.J. Tampa, Iowa State - picked 130 by Ravens
141 C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia - same as Bills
160 RB Tyrone Tracy, Purdue - picked 166 by Giants
168 DT Mekhi Wingo, LSU - picked 189 by Lions
204 T Tylan Grable, UCF - same as the Bills
219 CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State - same as the Bills
221 DE Jalen Harrell, Michigan - picked 252 by Titans

=============================

Post draft - Joe Marino, Locked on Bills