Bills Coverage Stuff that is Making me Grit my Teeth

It's all nonsense and hype from the media.

They're saying were significantly worse without Diggs right now, we've thrown in the towel, we've given up, the team is lost without a WR1, etc........wait till the draft rolls around and they are all applauding us for our great picks.

If it wasn't so obviously and blatantly click bait, it would be comical.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:56 AM, Beck Water said:

3) the latest is people dumping on Allen for Tim Graham's podcast revelation about the "it's only one ***** game" without the context of it being after the game, while Allen is sitting there taking the loss hard, still in his pads, and the rest of the team is coming over trying to lift him up, and whatever Diggs said wasn't reported (but Allen wasn't snapping at anyone else).

That's strange.  The Graham's story  was clearly meant to be sympathetic to Allen, not the other way around.  Taken out of context I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/7/2024 at 5:27 AM, Ghs24mike said:

Was listening to Joe Marino on the Locked On Bills podcast- he had a guest on one of his most recent shows who talked about Diggs. It brought to light, with data, something that I was feeling, but couldn't put my finger on. 

Diggs has lost the ability to separate down the field. To be fair he was never an elite speed guy, but the data shows that past 10 yds Diggs was not getting any separation, couldnt stack DB's, etc. 

Long story short, the argument that Diggs was getting a ton of attention which opened the game up for everyone else down the stretch wasn't true. Sure there was the occasional missed throw by Josh, but that happens to every QB. He simply isn't the same guy he was when he came to Buffalo. 

If Beane makes the right moves in FA and the Draft to bring in a young receiver, with speed, I believe Josh will play even better next year than this year. 

He will put to bed all the arguments and the Bills will be improved on Offense. 

we will only get better if Josh stops Constantly going for the homerun ball instead of the the 1st down period.

• Haha (+1) 2

I think Josh playing golf in April is a perfectly good use of his time, seriously. Decompress, use different skills. I'd rather he and TE play basketball but, hey.

It's pretty clear that 14 was being a pest. I'm disappointed that we spent so much to lose him. The record before and after Diggs is legit but the same can be said for Jefferson and others.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you want something to back you up on this last week on One Bills Live Greg Cosell who to me is the best of the best analysts absolutely crushed Diggs in his evaluation of him and saying the Bills have been playing without a number 1 receiver for a long time. 

Cosell is a smart guy.  

But most fans who watch the team week in and week out could easily see that Diggs wasn’t making many big plays any longer in the second half of the season.  And on top of that his body language looked very apathetic about the entire thing.  Some guys just fall off pretty hard at a certain point.  

Beane is no dummy.  He gets paid a lot of money to be one of 32 NFL GM’s.  And he is one of the best of that small group.  He watched all the games.  He watched the film after the season.  I am sure he talked with McDermott and Brady and whomever else he needed to talk to about Diggs.  And he came to the conclusion it was time to get rid of him.  His play wasn’t worth the aggravation or the money.  And to get a 2nd round pick for him before he looks like he doesn’t belong on an NFL field any longer was brilliant. 

I liked Diggs a lot.  But he certainly isn’t great anymore.  Or very good for that matter.  Whether he is even good any longer should be the question that Houston and their fans should be asking.  

I am excited about the Bills and their reset of the roster.  The roster was getting stale w veterans who were no longer in their prime-Diggs included.  Beane will have us a strong solid roster come August once again. 

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Cosell is a smart guy.  

But most fans who watch the team week in and week out could easily see that Diggs wasn’t making many big plays any longer in the second half of the season.  And on top of that his body language looked very apathetic about the entire thing.  Some guys just fall off pretty hard at a certain point.  

Beane is no dummy.  He gets paid a lot of money to be one of 32 NFL GM’s.  And he is one of the best of that small group.  He watched all the games.  He watched the film after the season.  I am sure he talked with McDermott and Brady and whomever else he needed to talk to about Diggs.  And he came to the conclusion it was time to get rid of him.  His play wasn’t worth the aggravation or the money.  And to get a 2nd round pick for him before he looks like he doesn’t belong on an NFL field any longer was brilliant. 

I liked Diggs a lot.  But he certainly isn’t great anymore.  Or very good for that matter.  Whether he is even good any longer should be the question that Houston and their fans should be asking.  

I am excited about the Bills and their reset of the roster.  The roster was getting stale w veterans who were no longer in their prime-Diggs included.  Beane will have us a strong solid roster come August once again. 

I agree Paup the only thing is I wish they had a guy behind him so if they did this with Diggs it doesn’t look now like they are totally desperate for a wr at the draft and have teams jumping them 

it's the offseason and all the talking heads are doing is desperately attempting to get clicks.

Look at the numbers, Josh made Diggs and not the other way around as he was a 2year out of 5 as a 1000-yard WR. Never an all-pro or pro-bowler and when he learned that the Vikings were going to be a run-first offense... he wanted out.

The thing about Kincade and Shakir is that they rarely drop a ball and will always go for a contested catch. Look at Diggs's playoff stats the last few years and he falls on his face in those games instead of stepping up.

That guy was not worth #1 money anymore and yelled, cried, and whined when the team lost. He wanted to be carried and yet he was the supposed #1 WR.

Beane is brilliant for getting a #2 pick even if it is for next year's draft.

With 579 passing attempts last season, I think some receivers will step up and Buffalo's offense will be better for it...especially in the playoffs. 

• Agree 1

On 4/9/2024 at 12:23 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I agree Paup the only thing is I wish they had a guy behind him so if they did this with Diggs it doesn’t look now like they are totally desperate for a wr at the draft and have teams jumping them 

Good point 78.  We will have to see what happens come draft night.  (I love your user name.  Never really thought about it.  Until I just read your response. Very sweet.  Bruce was a special player.  And a real good guy also.)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Good point 78.  We will have to see what happens come draft night.  (I love your user name.  Never really thought about it.  Until I just read your response. Very sweet.  Bruce was a special player.  And a real good guy also.)

Loved the guy man was the reason I started watching the Bills and I was a Hokies fan from way back so I followed him in college and you where darn good yourself.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

I am not really sure what to make of Diggs declining numbers in the last half of the season.  Chicken and egg kinda thing. Did he "decline" because they weren't using him as much?  Or were they not using him that much, because he was in decline?   

I do remember saying to some friends of mine, late in the season (and they thought I was being overly dramatic) but I just thought Diggs attitude seemed, very uncharacteristically lackadaisical.  He just didn't seemed bothered, or agitated...like he mentally was saying "I don't give a ***** anymore, I am out of here next year".  Everyone told me I was imagining it, he was a great competitor, and there must be some injury issues that they aren't talking about. I heard everyone say that there was absolutely no way they could trade him, because of the cap hit...but I knew it was going to happen!  It had to.  The only surprise to me was that they didn't wait til after June 1st.  Especially since they didn't get anything in this year's draft in return. 

Personally, I think the guy is not done, and still can play at a high level, if he is interested...but he just wasn't interested in doing that in Buffalo anymore.  The lazy pundits, and the social media commentators who follow sports, not by watching the games, but by reading what the lazy pundits and other equally un-knowledgeable social media commentators have to say. 

There always has to be a bad guy... there are those who will say this proves how "overrated" Allen is... some will say it only proves how inept the Bills are... and others will say it only illustrates that Diggs is a "diva".  Personally, I hate to see Diggs go...but once a player decides they don't want to play for you, the best thing to do is to just get them out of there.  I happen to follow the NBA (I know, not super popular here) and this happens all the time in that league.  It seems like this thing with Diggs was festering for close to 2 seasons...it wasn't going to get better.  I think the Bills made the right move in trying to make it work (Diggs is a fanatastic player), but I also think they did the right thing in pulling the plug...the cap hit sucks, but it would be the same as if he had just been injured for the whole season.

22 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Loved the guy man was the reason I started watching the Bills and I was a Hokies fan from way back so I followed him in college and you where darn good yourself.

Bryce Paup was pretty sweet, especially in 1995 when he won the Defensive Player of the year award.  Him and Bruce coming off the edge were quite the force.

I have been to Blacksburg twice to see games several years back.  Quite an experience when the team comes onto the field to Enter Sandman, and the crowd is going nuts.  They used to have a real strong team.  I saw them when Wyatt Teller was playing there.  He was dam good and the leader of their O line.

• Agree 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:57 AM, Shaw66 said:

Beck -

Its all just noise.  We go looking for news, but there is no news.  Then we stuck on somethung that was written to catch our eye.  Sometimes its more or less correct, sometimes it isn't, but it's all just noise.  

Yesterday the Boston Globe said the Bills werent active in free agency because the Pegulas are unhappy with the results they're getting and tightened the purse strings.  Huh?

Unless it is written by the usual people who follow the Bills, it is just noise.  

As always, the voice of reason!