Impact Players and the case for doing whatever it takes at WR1

SCBills

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My point is that it’s not for a lack of trying. They signed Von Miller and he got hurt. They re-signed Knox and he disappeared. They drafted an athletic freak at MLB and his performance was perpetually suspect. They waited for their #2 WR to live up to his ‘big game’ moniker and yet…he clearly never did. 

Oh I don’t disagree. At times Diggs, Poyer, Tre, Hyde and Oliver all were impact players. The point is now that’s gone (except Oliver) so they need more. This isn’t a draft where they need to add 10 bodies. The back of the roster is one of the better “back of the rosters” in the league. That (and Josh) are the reason that you can be a 2 seed with 1 of the top 101 players in football. This draft is about quality. Go get guys and overpay a little if needed.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:35 PM, SCBills said:

Oliver “can be”.  He hasn’t shown “to be”. 

I also fear he’s too small to take over games.  Something is holding him back from being a game wrecker in big moments, and that’s the only major flaw I see in his game.  

Oliver is about the same size as Aaron Donald.    DTs tend to come into their own a few years into their careers rather than early on, and Oliver seems to have done that last season. 

23 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The reason we are losing in the playoffs is not for lack of impact players

It's because the defense lays down. It's as simple as that. They need to play better

The Bills defense was seriously compromised last season by injuries, especially by the time the KC playoff game arrived.   They dressed only 4 LBs for the KC game, including AJ Klein who came out of retirement, and they were missing Douglas at CB.   They still hung with KC to the end, being a missed FG from tying the game and a dropped TD pass from taking the lead.

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Oliver is about the same size as Aaron Donald.    DTs tend to come into their own a few years into their careers rather than early on, and Oliver seems to have done that last season. 

The Bills defense was seriously compromised last season by injuries, especially by the time the KC playoff game arrived.   They dressed only 4 LBs for the KC game, including AJ Klein who came out of retirement, and they were missing Douglas at CB.   They still hung with KC to the end, being a missed FG from tying the game and a dropped TD pass from taking the lead.

Every team has injuries

We did not hang w KC because of the defense

We got abused on defense. We hung in that game because the offense played a perfect ball control game and the Chiefs fumbled the ball through the endzone

On 4/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Milano is (and was) the 2nd best player on the team. He’s a top of the league player at his position. I’d says he’s the only other star on the roster. 

I love Milano and think he's one of the best LB's in the game but if this is true and I believe it is then it's a part of the problem.  We need great impact players who play impact positions.  And after Allen we've been decidedly lacking those type of players in the playoffs.  And all you have to do is look at Diggs production the last 6 playoff games (2021 through now) to see that he was far from being an impact player when he was most needed to be one.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I don’t disagree. At times Diggs, Poyer, Tre, Hyde and Oliver all were impact players. The point is now that’s gone (except Oliver) so they need more. This isn’t a draft where they need to add 10 bodies. The back of the roster is one of the better “back of the rosters” in the league. That (and Josh) are the reason that you can be a 2 seed with 1 of the top 101 players in football. This draft is about quality. Go get guys and overpay a little if needed.

Yep, they are kind of stuck. All of the examples that I listed above have painted them into a bit of a corner. It'll surely be interesting to see what McBeane decide to do about it later this month. They could either swing for the fences or rely on a bunch of singles to push runs across. I'm guessing there'll be little doubt after the Draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

This is an absolute testament to McDermott. 

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Oh wait you're serious? 😄😄

Yes, I am serious.

Oliver had 9.5 sacks and the sixth-best pressure rate (13.3%) at his position, per Next Gen Stats (minimum 300 pass rushes).

Why is idea that Ed is an impact player so funny to you?

• Thank you (+1) 1