Things I think

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been uncomfortable with the mocking of animals that we eat.  For example, the barbecue places that always have some cartoon pig in an apron with a big smile, apparently cooking up his delicious little pig friends.

It's hard to demonstrate deductively that this is wrong, but it sure seems in incredibly poor taste to me.  Native Americans liked to pay respect for the animals that gave up their lives to sustain us.  I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, but this seems way more mature to me.

359306[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I bought some 'white cloud' toliet paper over the weekend. They have a picture of big white puffy soft looking cartoon clouds on the package. Later in the day, when it was go time, I realized there is nothing soft or fluffy about it. That crap was like recycled sand paper. I was offended.

I know what you mean. I bought some 'white cloud' toliet paper over the weekend. They have a picture of big white puffy soft looking cartoon clouds on the package. Later in the day, when it was go time, I realized there is nothing soft or fluffy about it. That crap was like recycled sand paper. I was offended.

359317[/snapback]

But if you could have gone out back and blown away a squirral or groundhog right afterwards, you would have forgotten all about it and felt much better.

359317[/snapback]

I thought you would be chaffed. <_<

I've always been uncomfortable with the mocking of animals that we eat.  For example, the barbecue places that always have some cartoon pig in an apron with a big smile, apparently cooking up his delicious little pig friends.

It's hard to demonstrate deductively that this is wrong, but it sure seems in incredibly poor taste to me.  Native Americans liked to pay respect for the animals that gave up their lives to sustain us.  I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, but this seems way more mature to me.

359306[/snapback]

You really should preface that kind of post with a <sarcasm> tag.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it sounds like you unwittingly agree with Liss. 

Basically, he's saying that the popular 'slippery slope' argument is stupid.

I tend to agree.  The same type of arguments are used re: drugs all the time.  "If we legalize marijuana, then we won't know where to draw the line and the next day murder might be legal!".  Conservatives love the Slippery Slope argument.  I'm right of center and I think it's pretty lame most of the time.

359130[/snapback]

He's much smarter than I, but my guess is we are polar opposites. Isn't he saying that all creatures deserve rights? I would have no problem bulldozing the snail darter in the name of progress. Maybe that's wrong in some people's minds, but, that's the way it is with me.

Rock, I know of exactly ZERO hunters who do this. I am not a hunter, but most of my buddies hunt. If they have filled up their freezers, they bring them to the local station of Hunters for the Hungry.

359313[/snapback]

They don't even do that on safari in Africa. Shoot an elephant for the ivory...any and all of the local villagers get as much meat as they can carry. Bones and offal go into fertilizer, feet for barstools or umbrella stands...even the hairs get used for touristy crap like bracelets.

At least, that's how it used to be. Not anymore...

The whole animal debate is about evolution...the lion doesnt feel guilty that it evolved to be fast enough to kill the gazelle, so why should i feel guilty that as a human i have evolved enough to be able to club a baby seal with a louisville slugger? The baby seal and the seal species in general need to evolve the ability to wield their own bat or the ability to construct a shield...their lack of evolution isnt my fault...

<_<

The whole animal debate is about evolution...the lion doesnt feel guilty that it evolved to be fast enough to kill the gazelle, so why should i feel guilty that as a human i have evolved enough to be able to club a baby seal with a louisville slugger? The baby seal and the seal species in general need to evolve the ability to wield their own bat or the ability to construct a shield...their lack of evolution isnt my fault...

:P

359531[/snapback]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's weak. That's some shaky logic right there. I haven't seen an argument that weak since that guy from NAMBLA was on Howard Stern trying to say what they do is beautiful.

"The Way I See It #42--We know that chimpanzees possess language, culture, and self-awareness, so why don't we afford them rights?  The most common argument is that if we give chimps rights, the next thing you know we'll be giving rights to squirrels. (seems this guy doesn't think much of squirrels) It seems to me, however, a pretty por decision to deny rights to those who deserve them lest we accidentally afford them to those who don't." 

358963[/snapback]

Rights for chimps indeed, anyone think a chimp can get served at Starbucks? Chimps (of their own volition) wear neither shirts nor shoes thus cannot be served. I find these discriminatory policies of Starbucks to be reprehensible, to call for the emanicpation of a species and then deny that species service in their outlets, for shame Starbucks....for shame.... :P

Rights for chimps indeed, anyone think a chimp can get served at Starbucks?  Chimps (of their own volition) wear neither shirts nor shoes thus cannot be served.  I find these discriminatory policies of Starbucks to be reprehensible, to call for the emanicpation of a species and then deny that species service in their outlets, for shame Starbucks....for shame....  :P

359626[/snapback]

I'll pay you to go to your nearest Starbucks and loudly protest precisely that... :w00t:

I'll pay you to go to your nearest Starbucks and loudly protest precisely that...  :P

359669[/snapback]

I'll put in for that too.

Also, while you're there, make a big stink about the stupid names for the cup sizes. Why is the small called tall? And what's this crap with the venti? You go in there and ask for a medium something and they act like you're some kind of trash. I'd like to take a busload of crap throwing chimps in there... mess up the place real good!

Rock, I know of exactly ZERO hunters who do this. I am not a hunter, but most of my buddies hunt. If they have filled up their freezers, they bring them to the local station of Hunters for the Hungry.

359313[/snapback]

I wasn't accusing anyone, and the hunters I know eat what they kill. I have no problem with that at all, in fact I support it! :P

When I lived in Wyoming County, there would occasionally be a "hunter" who would take down a deer that was too small and leave it to rot, or a doe, "just for fun".

It was the farmers in various parts of WNY finding the carcasses on their land and BSing about it over a cup of coffee in a rural restaurant, not some urban legend thing. I used to drive delivery truck from Perry to Geneva, Wayland, Salamanca, Jamestown, Dunkirk, Lewiston and all points in between, and this was rare but it happens.

It was just a reply to someone who wanted an example of

how exactly do you kill an animal "for greed"?  Do some of them carry wallets now?

Killing for a trophy and discarding the meat is greed, IMO.

I regret killin' for sport but not for need.

359910[/snapback]

But sometimes you just gotta club that baby seal or kitten. Just because, and it is for psychological reasons. So I guess that it is okay then, because I need to. :P