Do You Support A Constitutional Amendment to Ban

Do You Support A Constitutional Amendment to Ban Desecration of the American Flag?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Support A Constitutional Amendment to Ban Desecration of the American Flag?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care, get me a Hot Pocket!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support a Constitutional Amendment to abolish the litany of unConstitutional laws that have been passed over the last 50 years or so.

359366[/snapback]

What are the chances that would even make it out of committee? <_<

like someone said above, I'd be against such an amendment is a restriction of freedom of speech

however for the liberals who are all gung ho about burning our flag, they should shut their faces koran desecration

359264[/snapback]

i think it would be good to not have a ban....because then all the commie liberals that do decide they want to burn it, can have their names and/or images added to the Homeland Security "Sh1t List".

359343[/snapback]

Either of you lads want to point to a single post in this thread by a "commie liberal" who is advocating we burn the flag, or are "gung ho" about burning the flag? I see a ton of posts by liberals, libertarians and conservatives suggesting we uphold freedom of speech, but I don't see a single post suggesting it is an acceptable or encouraged behavior.

For the eligibility of presidential candidates discussion - Article 2 of the Constitution states you must be the following:

1. A natural born Citizen (yes, foreign-born children of US citizens are US citizens)

2. 35 years old

3. A resident within the United States at least 14 years.

I was going to do a poll on who believes Ed has really gotten laid.  But who are we kidden, Ed couldn't get laid at a Madonna convention  :w00t:

But on a more serious note.  What do people think about flag desecration?  Freedom of speech, disrespectful, both...

358912[/snapback]

Can I burn this stupid thread? :P

Personally, I am for it, although I do have some reservations about it. I do understand where the people against it are coming from- if it ever is to happen, it should be by popular vote- which is not standard procedure

And we need this amendment because of all the flag burning we see everyday in America? We don't need such an amendment. Even more importantly, as an American I find would find it offensive that we would need to raise the flag to a sacred or constitutional status. Any symbol is a poor substitute for the force of the ideas already in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Either of you lads want to point to a single post in this thread by a "commie liberal" who is advocating we burn the flag, or are "gung ho" about burning the flag?  I see a ton of posts by liberals, libertarians and conservatives suggesting we uphold freedom of speech, but I don't see a single post suggesting it is an acceptable or encouraged behavior.

359461[/snapback]

you are right, but i would add, even though i think there are "commie liberals" on this board, i wan't referring to anyone specifically. UNLESS of course, some of the Commie Liberals on this board have spent some of their free time burning flags.

you are right, but i would add, even though i think there are "commie liberals" on this board,  i wan't referring to anyone specifically.  UNLESS of course, some of the Commie Liberals on this board have spent some of their free time burning flags.

359884[/snapback]

I've burned a few commie liberals. Does that count?

And no, there should NOT be an ammendment towards burning the flag. First ammendment aside, that is one very steep and greasy slippery slope. Look what happened the last time someone got a "feel good" special interest ammendment passed. It gave us organized crime (and a lot of Canadian whiskey). Had to be repealed. This country has too much of a salted peanuts mentality. Let something like this pass, and you'll have 10 more ignorant ammendments within the next decade. If it's OK to usurp the first ammendment by an end around, what's to prevent doing the same to the second?

True.  I was making an attempt to crack open the black box that is Beausox' mind. 

Taking many of his posts as a whole, his MO seems to take a topic, make a loose association which not many can understand or take the time to check on, then drive the thread in a new direction to espouse his own views.

In this post, he used the flag-burning issue to drop the name of Hume, then mention something about marriage, which has nothing to do with the topic.

It's pretty interesting.

359071[/snapback]

Hey! E-Coli! Should I have taken credit for Hume's thought? This is a politics board. Hume is one of the greatest Political Philosophers. The reason that you will never find Hume mentioning flag-burning is because he could not conceive discussing such a thing! However he would further believe that a rational discussion of something so second nature to our nature is an admission that the other side whether gay marriage or legal flag burning is worthy. Some things he would aver are worthy of our disregard.

Hey! E-Coli! Should I have taken credit for Hume's thought? This is a politics board. Hume is one of the greatest Political Philosophers. The reason that you will never find Hume mentioning flag-burning is because he could not conceive discussing such a thing! However he would further believe that a rational discussion of something so second nature to our nature is an admission that the other side whether gay marriage or  legal flag burning is worthy. Some things he would aver are worthy of our disregard.

360505[/snapback]

In other words, your opinion on flag burning is "I can quote Hume, who never said anything about it, therefore it's not worthy of discussing, even though I'm discussing it..."

Uhhhh...right. :blush:

What the hell's wrong with you? Most people, in the absence of original thought, would borrow opinions from other people. You admit to consciously choosing to borrow from someone who you admit never expressed an opinion on it. My God, man...you're so friggin' stupid, you can't even plagirize correctly! :D

Hey! E-Coli! Should I have taken credit for Hume's thought? This is a politics board. Hume is one of the greatest Political Philosophers. The reason that you will never find Hume mentioning flag-burning is because he could not conceive discussing such a thing! However he would further believe that a rational discussion of something so second nature to our nature is an admission that the other side whether gay marriage or  legal flag burning is worthy. Some things he would aver are worthy of our disregard.

360505[/snapback]

I rest my case. Your best defense was to not take the stand.

Anyone a mondo-tard speaker who can translate this abortion?

360587[/snapback]

I'll take a stab at this one.

I believe he is saying that discussing something that is truly absurd lends legitamacy to it. This was the tactic that the scientists down in Kansas recently took when confronted with the Intelligent Design theory. Instead of going to the hearings, they refused to go on the premise that debating something so entirely stupid as the "theory" of intelligent design would legitamize it.

Notice how I took the initial statement by beausox, translated it into something that most people would recognize as a sentence, then used an actual relevant event to serve as an example.

Did that help at all, AD?

I'll take a stab at this one.

I believe he is saying that discussing something that is truly absurd lends legitamacy to it.  This was the tactic that the scientists down in Kansas recently took when confronted with the Intelligent Design theory.  Instead of going to the hearings, they refused to go on the premise that debating something so entirely stupid as the "theory" of intelligent design would legitamize it.

Notice how I took the initial statement by beausox, translated it into something that most people would recognize as a sentence, then used an actual relevant event to serve as an example.

Did that help at all, AD?

360597[/snapback]

This reminds me of the beer commercials with the lizard and the ferret.

Everything reminds you of beer and ferrets.

360606[/snapback]

No, that was "fear of parrots"

They whisper to me through the walls....

If you listened closer to the voices from the washing machine you'd know that. :unsure:

In other words, your opinion on flag burning is "I can quote Hume, who never said anything about it, therefore it's not worthy of discussing, even though I'm discussing it..."

Uhhhh...right.  :unsure:   

What the hell's wrong with you?  Most people, in the absence of original thought, would borrow opinions from other people.  You admit to consciously choosing to borrow from someone who you admit never expressed an opinion on it.  My God, man...you're so friggin' stupid, you can't even plagirize correctly!  :angry:

360554[/snapback]

How can one plagiarize that which they credit? I could have mis-interpreted or mis-paraphrased Hume ( in which case you certainly would not know) but I did not steal his words only his idea in a general sense. If you feel challenged retreat to the safety of the front porch.

How can one plagiarize that which they credit? I could have mis-interpreted or mis-paraphrased Hume ( in which case you certainly would not know) but I did not steal his words only his idea in a general sense. If you feel challenged retreat to the safety of the front porch.

360622[/snapback]

Of course you didn't steal his words...you fully admit that he never said anything on the subject!!! What the hell was there to steal?

"I didn't plagirize, because I credited a guy with not saying something he didn't say in support of my point." Holy !@#$, you're an idiot.

Anybody know this one?

What is the proper way to dispose of a flag, a worn, tatter, unusable flag? It is actually disrespectful to fly or display such a flag in normal situations.

I think it is... Burn it?

Kinda ironic that burning it in protest gets people all in a lather when the actual "death" of it is the only way to repsectfully dispose of it?

The big thing is what constitutes protest?

"Gee officer, I was only disposing my flag properly when Mrs. Smith next door called in the complaint."

:unsure::angry:

Anybody know this one?

What is the proper way to dispose of a flag, a worn, tatter, unusable flag?  It is actually disrespectful to fly or display such a flag in normal situations.

I think it is... Burn it?

Kinda ironic that burning it in protest gets people all in a lather when the actual "death" of it is the only way to repsectfully dispose of it?

The big thing is what constitutes protest?

"Gee officer, I was only disposing my flag properly when Mrs. Smith next door called in the complaint."

:unsure:  :angry:

360806[/snapback]

Early shift?

Early shift?

360808[/snapback]

Ya... Just started this morning, will run through next Thursday (0800).

I am on a 6 week swing with 3 weeks of days, then afternoons and midnights... I like the break, get to spend 3 weeks home with the kids!

The downside: As this week progresses, my posts will get crazier! :doh::angry:

I can't believe I wasted 15 years of my life doing this... Then again, there is TSW!

My boss is in Iraq helping out (second time). The joke around here is will he come back fatter than when he left? :unsure:

Ya... Just started this morning, will run through next Thursday (0800).

I am on a 6 week swing with 3 weeks of days, then afternoons and midnights... I like the break, get to spend 3 weeks home with the kids!

The downside:  As this week progresses, my posts will get crazier!  :doh::angry:

I can't believe I wasted 15 years of my life doing this... Then again, there is TSW! 

My boss is in Iraq helping out (second time).  The joke around here is will he come back fatter than when he left? :unsure:

360810[/snapback]

That's not the easiest thing to do there...but I guess it's possible. Where's he at?

That's not the easiest thing to do there...but I guess it's possible. Where's he at?

360813[/snapback]

I wanna say the "Green Zone" in Baghdad, not sure if that changed? Last time he spent a lot of time on base. He is doing inspection work.

There is another joke around here... We call it the "I am so effing safe, I mine as well be home zone!" :angry::doh:

Anyway, his supervisor was at the the Baghdad Hotel when they took that explosion some time ago... He wanted to get stateside ASAP, and he did.

Later, when my supervisor pulled a soft gig... The others found out and went back!... I guess word gets around? :lol:

My luck, they'd have me fending off a group of trucks with a can of tomato soup! :P;)

:unsure:

I wanna say the "Green Zone" in Baghdad, not sure if that changed?  Last time he spent a lot of time on base.  He is doing inspection work.

There is another joke around here... We call it the "I am so effing safe, I mine as well be home zone!"  :angry:  :doh:

Anyway, his supervisor was at the the Baghdad Hotel when they took that explosion some time ago... He wanted to get stateside ASAP, and he did.

Later, when my supervisor pulled a soft gig... The others found out and went back!... I guess word gets around? :lol:

My luck, they'd have me fending off a group of trucks with a can of tomato soup! :P  ;)

360823[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure my next trip that way will be to Jordan. Now that the WMD thingy has made everyone look really stupid, I hopefully won't be seeing Iraq again anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure my next trip that way will be to Jordan. Now that the WMD thingy has made everyone look really stupid, I hopefully won't be seeing Iraq again anytime soon.

360825[/snapback]

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind going there... Some say it is crazy, some not bad... I would want to help out if I could and see things for myself.

This might sound selfish, I really don't think it is. Right now in my life I have two small kids that need me home doing my job here.

I do appreciate (doesn't always sound like it) all the work our troops and civilians are doing there. 10 years ago or 10 years in the future, it would be in the cards for me.

Rumor has it with this new NSPS system they might actually force you to go there if you are a federal defense employee... Not necessarily true but, new hires???

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind going there... Some say it is crazy, some not bad... I would want to help out if I could and see things for myself.

This might sound selfish, I really don't think it is.  Right now in my life I have two small kids that need me home doing my job here.

I do appreciate (doesn't always sound like it) all the work our troops and civilians are doing there.  10 years ago or 10 years in the future, it would be in the cards for me.

Rumor has it with this new NSPS system they might actually force you to go there if you are a federal defense employee... Not necessarily true but, new hires???

360830[/snapback]

As far as I know, most of the NSPS is just that, still rumor. Still being negotiated behind closed doors. Just about everyone at my agency, though, is deployable. Shots, weapons qual, the whole nine yards. We always have several civilians in country at any given time doing what amounts to vulnerability studies on installations and what not. We actually have a lot of people all over the world doing some interesting things. 50% are GS or Contractor. So, i'm thinking that's all part of the job description when you sign on. I really don't know. I'm a contractor, so the NSPS doesn't affect me. I've been thinking of going CS in the future though, there are some things going on that will create several new GS14 slots where I work, so I should probably learn more about it. With the COLA they hand out for DC, a 14 makes some pretty good money, and you don't have to worry about recompetes every few years.

As far as I know, most of the NSPS is just that, still rumor. Still being negotiated behind closed doors. Just about everyone at my agency, though, is deployable. Shots, weapons qual, the whole nine yards. We always have several civilians in country at any given time doing what amounts to vulnerability studies on installations and what not. We actually have a lot of people all over the world doing some interesting things. 50% are GS or Contractor. So, i'm thinking that's all part of the job description when you sign on. I really don't know. I'm a contractor, so the NSPS doesn't affect me. I've been thinking of going CS in the future though, there are some things going on that will create several new GS14 slots where I work, so I should probably learn more about it. With the COLA they hand out for DC, a 14 makes some pretty good money, and you don't have to worry about recompetes every few years.

360835[/snapback]

Exactly.

What is going on here is the opposite. Federal jobs are being competed out/competitive outsourcing initiative... Mine won't start for about a year and the process will drag out through the A-76 for about another 18-36 months. A lot are bitter about it and fear getting contracted out. I don't look at it that way. It isn't really a done deal. There WILL be change and I look FORWARD to it. If it means working with a contractor, that's okay. I have been preparing myself for years now and would be nicely set if I choose to not work here or work with a contractor. I view it as one door closing, another opening!

Who knows what the future will bring? I am glad I thought about my financial independence along time ago!

Exactly.

What is going on here is the opposite.  Federal jobs are being competed out/competitive outsourcing initiative... Mine won't start for about a year and the process will drag out through the A-76 for about another 18-36 months.  A lot are bitter about it and fear getting contracted out.  I don't look at it that way.  It isn't really a done deal.  There WILL be change and I look FORWARD to it.  If it means working with a contractor, that's okay.  I have been preparing myself for years now and would be nicely set if I choose to not work here or work with a contractor.  I view it as one door closing, another opening!

Who knows what the future will bring?  I am glad I thought about my financial independence along time ago!

360840[/snapback]

They shouldn't worry. The government hasn't met an A-76 they couldn't win by not having to play by the same rules they hold the companies who respond to it to. The entire process is pretty much a crock and totally stacked in their favor. It takes a really incompetent group for the gov to lose.

Of course you didn't steal his words...you fully admit that he never said anything on the subject!!!  What the hell was there to steal?

"I didn't plagirize, because I credited a guy with not saying something he didn't say in support of my point."  Holy !@#$, you're an idiot.

360657[/snapback]

Look, I realize this is wasted on you but just maybe....Anyway Hume was of the "We hold these truths to be self-evident " crowd. As i stated he would never have conceived of such a thing as flag burning and he said that some things are needed to be ignored. I mentioned marriage and he cited marriage because it was something so self evident that it need not defense- to which list I could add the abysmal ignorance of simmians.

Look, I realize this is wasted on you but just maybe....Anyway Hume was of the "We hold these truths to be self-evident " crowd. As i stated he would never have conceived of such a thing as flag burning and he said that some things are needed to be ignored. I mentioned marriage and he cited marriage because it was something so self evident that it need not defense- to which list I could add the abysmal ignorance of simmians.

361082[/snapback]

Yes, just what I said...Hume never said anything about flag burning, so you quoted him in support of your views...which would have been far more effective if he'd said something about flag burning for you to quote. And since he didn't, your argument goes something like "He ignored it, but since he didn't ignore marriage, he obviously things flag burning should be illegal because he couldn't conceive of it." That might make sense on your home planet, but here on earth we've achieved a higher level of thinking called 'reason' - which says, among other things, that fiction and non-fiction are not the same thing, and you can't quote someone who hasn't said anything!!!

And "Some things are needed to be ignored"??? Did you learn English from a pack of wolves or something? That structure makes no friggin' sense whatsoever.