First time I have ever heard my computer "pop"

Punching Bag

Not only am I breaking down (doctor has put me on a low FODMAP diet which seems to have contradictions and more recipe marketing than science) but my "high end" computer I bought so I could work from home just made a pop when I touched keyboard.  I suspect it is the power transformer but my experience is in computer software not hardware.

Last time I touched hardware was in 90's when I was sent to Fort Braff to ensure that three luggable systems (heavy duty systems with fold down LCD screen and keyboard) were ready for deployment.  Issue was not software so I opened boxes, removed cards and blew out any dust inside, cleaned contacts and reseeded cards. I got two of three working which was enough for operation to proceed.  After I returned and delivered my report my boss reminded me I do not do hardware and that touching hardware may invalidate warranty and I confirmed I do not hardware. He then said I did a good job since previous techs could not figure issue.

Will be taking it back to Micro center despite qualms about their service since they built the machine and may only have spare parts.

I would definitely return it.   I've had more PCs, lap tops, work stations etc over the years than I can count, and have never have one "pop".    I doubt it's an "undocumented feature".

Edited by SoTier

It was the power transformer & fan module  and computer is beyond warranty period. 

Diagnosis fee, replacement part and installation was $200.

I thought they might have charged and I got it back same day.

I was offered the bunt part which I turned down.

Do you have the computer on a surge suppressor?  Bad power  probably not what caused the power supply to go belly up, but important to have surge suppression.

How old was the power supply? They do have a habit of going bad, usually when older.