So is Star Wars III appropriate for a 5 year old?

PIZ

I've heard it's gruesome. He is begging me everyday to see the movie and it's probably the only way I'll get to see it myself. He doesn't get scared of movies, but he really hasn't seen anything other than movies like Shrek, Toy Story, the other Star Wars movies.

He's also wanting to watch my movie Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just brought my 7 1/2 yr old to see it. It's kind of long with a complicated plot. A few light-sabre duels were thrown in. Quite nasty at the end, but my son just wanted to see how Vader got his "costume".

I took my five year old and was glad he was asleep at the end because it was a tad bit much.

358583[/snapback]

I was afraid of that, but his 7 year old cousin (who's afraid of frogs for cryin' out loud) went to see it and my 5 year old bawled because he couldn't go. (His uncle wouldn't take him and I couldn't get a sitter for the other 2).

Did you see many kids under say 8 when you went?

I've heard it's gruesome.  He is begging me everyday to see the movie and it's probably the only way I'll get to see it myself.  He doesn't get scared of movies, but he really hasn't seen anything other than movies like Shrek, Toy Story, the other Star Wars movies. 

358580[/snapback]

"Gruesome" is a bit of a stretch. It's the most violent of the three...but for the most part only in quantity. The actual graphicness of the violence doesn't go much beyond Luke getting his hand chopped off in Empire.

Still, it's probably a bit much for a 5-year old. There's no really "cute and cuddly" child-oriented moments in it. Unless he really understands the point of the whole series (the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker - would be a pretty big stretch of comprehension for a 5 year old, I think), you're probably better off waiting until he's a little more growed up...

"Gruesome" is a bit of a stretch.  It's the most violent of the three...but for the most part only in quantity.  The actual graphicness of the violence doesn't go much beyond Luke getting his hand chopped off in Empire

Still, it's probably a bit much for a 5-year old.  There's no really "cute and cuddly" child-oriented moments in it.  Unless he really understands the point of the whole series (the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker - would be a pretty big stretch of comprehension for a 5 year old, I think), you're probably better off waiting until he's a little more growed up...

358589[/snapback]

Well, the kid is a brain. He has a memory of an elephant and he actually does comprehend the whole Anakin thing.

For all you Star Wars fans out there: Buy the animated Star Wars Clone Wars volume 1. I believe there will be a volume 2 also. It is awesome. Really good.

I've heard it's gruesome.  He is begging me everyday to see the movie and it's probably the only way I'll get to see it myself.  He doesn't get scared of movies, but he really hasn't seen anything other than movies like Shrek, Toy Story, the other Star Wars movies. 

358580[/snapback]

What, no replies about your parenting skills yet, or how you should go see the movie first, then decide, or all of the other comments from the parent police on this board :lol:

358580[/snapback]

I just watched it Saturday. I wouldnt. Spoiler alert!!!!!!!

Dead children

I was afraid of that, but his 7 year old cousin (who's afraid of frogs for cryin' out loud) went to see it and my 5 year old bawled because he couldn't go.  (His uncle wouldn't take him and I couldn't get a sitter for the other 2).

Did you see many kids under say 8 when you went?

358588[/snapback]

There were families there but most of them were between the ages of 10-15. No, it's not gruesome but it is a little much in my opinion. But to a five year old watching someone get mutilated and then charred is extreme. Other than the one scene at the end I thought it was fine.

It really depends on how comfortable you feel with your kid watching it. At that moment in the movie I looked over and hoped he had his eyes shut.

Yeah, its not that bad as they make it seem. My 7 year old loved it and in no way was freaked out. Its not a horror gore film for cryin out loud. They do show bad burns on Anikin but its fairly quick.

Have fun!

358580[/snapback]

My 4 1/2 year old went. He is an enormous fan of those films and after numerous discussions with the wife we agreed that there was no way to keep him away. Our decision was that I would completly spoil the movie for myself and take note of all the scenes that were deemed inapropriate. There is a website theforce.net that has a parents info section on the movie. It will tell you everything you need to know. The description starts out in generalities, for those that want to avoid complete spoilers,but if you read the bottom half it details any questionable scene.

There were three scenes that I covered my son's eyes during...

anakin burning and being cut, the children slaughter (but tht is all off screen), and mace windu's demise.

Compared to what your children hear and see on television and school it's like an episode of Barney.

358721[/snapback]

Not a bad point, but what if some parents limit the TV in take. Do you think thats a good idea? Also, how many children do you have?

Its always interesting to get the perspective of someone who has no children, please tell us.

Not a bad point, but what if some parents limit the TV in take. Do you think thats a good idea? Also, how many children do you have?

Its always interesting to get the perspective of someone who has no children, please tell us.

358757[/snapback]

It's common sense. Do you really believe that if you are sending your child to a public school that by the time they are in the second grade they are not going to know more curse words and obscene jestures than a lot of adults?

You think that because someone doesn't have a child they can't use common sense in relation to raising one?

There are several scenes that are not appropriate for younger children.

The move is loud, violent and somewhat evil. I would not recomend it.

When my wife and I saw the movie someone brought their two young children and they started screaming and crying and the parents had to take them out of the movie.