2024 DL Class Discussion

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Oliver was a very good signing. Beane doesn't need help deciding to draft DL early in the draft. That has been his default proclivity. This year, he'd be a damned fool not to grab Josh Allen premium talent at the WR room first, which is badly needed.

True he does need premier talent at the WR position but when i listened to Danial Jeremiah on the 1 Bills Live show he said that DL men isn't a very good crop this year meaning there are only a couple with 1st round talent & 1 may slip to the Bills because all or most of the really good WR's will be gone early & that there will be other very good WR's available in the second round .

I really don't know i just go by what I've heard from the supposed "Experts" and given what "Could" happen early with QB's & the elite WR's like Marvin Harrison Jr being gone very early then if a WR has a second round evaluation on him but a DT or DL that has a 1st round e v a l shouldn't yo take him ?

Then possibly with the extra draft picks move up in the second to get the WR that has a early 2nd round e v a l ? I'm asking because i'm no ththat well versed in all of this i'm just a fan & realize that fact .. 

Edited by T master

12 minutes ago, T master said:

True he does need premier talent at the WR position but when i listened to Danial Jeremiah on the 1 Bills Live show he said that DL men isn't a very good crop this year meaning there are only a couple with 1st round talent & 1 may slip to the Bills because all or most of the really good WR's will be gone early & that there will be other very good WR's available in the second round .

I really don't know i just go by what I've heard from the supposed "Experts" and given what "Could" happen early with QB's & the elite WR's like Marvin Harrison Jr being gone very early then if a WR has a second round evaluation on him but a DT or DL that has a 1st round e v a l shouldn't yo take him ?

Then possibly with the extra draft picks move up in the second to get the WR that has a early 2nd round e v a l ? I'm asking because i'm no ththat well versed in all of this i'm just a fan & realize that fact .. 

I understand. @HappyDays had a pithy comment that distills my view. The kind of DL you will find at the bottom of the first in this draft is the kind of DL you can find at the bottom of the first in any draft. The kind of WR you will find in this draft at the bottom of the first is going to be someone who in an ordinary draft would go in the top half of the first. If you wait until the second, you're going to get a good player, but you miss out on the true benefit of picking WR in a draft this exceptionally deep at the position. And in my opinion, upgrading WR is not only the right thing to do for Josh Allen, it is the most prudent use of draft capital, and the choice much more likely to have transformative effect on the fortunes of the team.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 10:25 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think he has elite get off, the best natural bend round the edge in the class and a better bull rush than you expect to see given he is slightly undersized. He has what I will politely call a "muscular backside" and huge thighs and he generates his power through his lower body so when he wins with that explosive first step he can continue the drive that stops tackles getting back into the down despite not having ideal length. 

The negatives..... the production doesn't match the traits and that is a concern. We have been here before with Jayson Oweh out of Penn State and while I think Chop is just all around a better prospect the story on Oweh is a production switch wasn't suddenly flipped when he reached the league. My view on why the production isn't there is that he is technically unrefined. If his sheer athleticism doesn't beat you he doesn't have a counter. He has some lane discipline issues to tidy up in the run game but I think that can come with NFL coaching. The thing that drops him out of first round grade territory on my board is the hand usage. That has always been big for me for pass rushers. Chop needs to get his hands up higher in his rush and be more decisive and violent with them. 

I am not yet knowledgeable about what proper hand usage looks like in pass rushers, but I was really pleasantly surprised at Chop Robinson.  I watched his games against Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio State.  I thought he was quite disruptive, stouter vs. the run than I expected and generated a good amount of pressure on the pass rush.  I'm not pounding the table for him, but I was really surprised at what I saw after reading the concerns about his pass rush production.

Edited by OldTimer1960