Saints - “The bill comes due.”

Punching Bag

14 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

This guy's a yahoo, but he's right about this point

Except he isn't. There is no way to realise that level of Tre saving unless he can pass a medical in the next 10 days. 

On 2/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, GunnerBill said:

All the best teams pretty much do now. I crunched the numbers on this recently. KC have three who played high 60s percentage wise, but the majority of teams have one guy playing 65-75% and then 1 or 2 in the mid 50s and a load of rotation beneath that. The issue is the Bills haven't had cheap guys in that rotation. It has been decent FA deals or high picks. One of KC's three heavy usage guys is Mike Danna - a 5th round pick. That is the kind of thing we need, some cheap, young guys capable of being in that 7 or 8 man rotation. 

Yeah it's wasteful use of assets having your own 2nd round picks getting less than 40% of the snaps on the DL.   Gotta' scout better.   Beane's pro personnel work has been his biggest personnel problem during his tenure but there are definitely signs that he is improving in that regard at least.   That second wave on the DL needs to be much better value whether it's picks or signings.   

• Agree 5

On 2/26/2024 at 4:55 AM, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I think the Saints did the right thing. They kicked the can relentlessly to load up for a last go with Drew Brees and Sean Payton and but for the worst non-call of all time that might have worked out. It didn't.

They have prolonged it by continuing to try and win post Brees in comparison to New England who that first year post Brady had a "take our medicine" year and then rebounded when Mac was a rookie, spent a bit in FA, put some pieces around him and won 10 games and made the playoffs - even though that relative success couldn't be sustained (mainly because they have drafted so poorly). But I sort of defend the Saints in doing that because they were in a division that, especially this year, looked very winnable. I still think the division is attainable for them with a good season and they still have some talented players so I'd run it back once more. But if they fail to make the post season again then next spring is a take your medicine season and you move on from Lattimore, Kamara, Ramcyzk, Jordan etc and it probably means the team you field in 2025 is going to be in contention for the #1 pick. Which just so happens to coincide with the point at which you can move on from Derek Carr and pick your QB of the future in the 2026 draft. It's likely your 2026 team will still suck a bit because you will be paying money to people who no longer play for you but as we have seen with Cincinnati and to a lesser extent Jacksonville in recent years the "suck, get your QB, suck again and load up" model is one that can pay some dividends. 

I understand those who would not have done the Carr thing and would have started taking their medicine already. But the NFL is an entertainment product. You have to keep the fans coming and when you have a shot to win and make the playoffs you should try and win. It would have been different if they were in a division with the Eagles or the Cowboys... but Brady had gone, there was no super team in the NFC South and nobody expected Baker to bounce back as he did. So I think trying to win was the right move. 

The Saints post-Payton still have (had) talent on the team. They have a talented but aging defense, and talented skill players on offense when Thomas is healthy, Kamara isn't in a courtroom, and Chris Olave's head is in the game. Unfortunately, what they found out this season is, not only is Carr a mediocre QB, he's also a terrible teammate who likes to grandstand when things go sideways AND, despite giving him reasonable personnel at this disposal, Pete Carmicheal is a similarly terrible OC. 

10 hours ago, transient said:

The Saints post-Payton still have (had) talent on the team. They have a talented but aging defense, and talented skill players on offense when Thomas is healthy, Kamara isn't in a courtroom, and Chris Olave's head is in the game. Unfortunately, what they found out this season is, not only is Carr a mediocre QB, he's also a terrible teammate who likes to grandstand when things go sideways AND, despite giving him reasonable personnel at this disposal, Pete Carmicheal is a similarly terrible OC. 

One of the wildest things on this board is that after the transition from 20 years to having Josh we still hear about talented rosters knowing the initial qb room was the likes of jameis, dalton, and taysom 

then after they made the situation even worse trying to prove they wouldn’t fall off after the transition they doubled down yet again not because of an elite roster but because the division was so incredibly weak that maybe they could sneak into the playoffs to save their jobs. 

and then they didn’t even do that and most of them still kept their jobs. 

it’s an embarrassment that ownership has allowed this to happen but after Tom passed I’m not sure anyone’s in charge of making uncomfortable decisions 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.