Brandon Beane on Eric Wood's podcast today (salary cap, off-season schedule, & favorite wing spot)

chongli

One of my biggest fears is the competency of our college scouts. We absolutely must find at least one compelling wr. We can't afford anymore mediocre pass rushers.  And once Von and some of these high priced fa's leave, it's time to get young on rookie contracts.  We'll see how much kick the can down the street restuctures happen?  Not surprised he picked Bar-Bill. Less blue cheese is better.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:52 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I like Beane but the biggest reason he is in the situation he is with the cap can be traced directly to his terrible personnel decisions in 2018.

He spent $100M on total garbage in free agency.........and actually paid out a ton of that even when he should have been cutting bait later in those contracts.

He has gotten much more efficient on the job but it's been a gradual climb from terrible to mediocre to improved levels of efficiency.

Blaming the cap situation on the cap figure dropping due to covid is a cop-out........but the truth is if he were honest about the fact that he was terrible wrt pro personnel and cap management in his first couple years there would be nothing to gain from that honesty whatsoever.   Just more criticism.    

He has basically faked it til' he's made it.........and NOW that he has a better grasp on what he's doing he really needs to put that expensive experience to work and knock it out of the park in the next few offseasons.

As I've said before,  Howie Roseman wasn't always a great GM.........he grew into it.    Beane needs to build off of the successes in recent drafts and the more efficient(if not always satisfying) results he's gotten in free agency.    Also needs to be a bit more ruthless, IMO.  

Disagree completely with your first sentence. It’s simply wrong. There was no player contract signed in 2018 that is in force today. It’s not up for debate. The statement is clearly wrong. 

Without josh allen what is this teams record? Beane can't live on one pick forever.  The amount of wasted money is staggering,  we have holes all over because of how poorly he spent money in FA. 

And in regards to the draft,  why have we never gotten josh any receiver help? Since Josh was drafted the highest we've picked a receiver was Gabe Davis in the 4th rd. If Allen can turn 4th and 5th rd picks like Davis and Shakir into studs imagine what he could do with 1st round type talent. Instead they've continued to pump resources into a defense that chokes every year come playoff time. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im interested what you think of them taking a S in Rounds 2 or 3?

Actually that is a great question!  

I am unable to watch every college team and focus primarily on the SEC, Alabama specifically. I was extremely high on Brian Branch for years. I saw him play every phase of the position (S) and he was very good at it to include run stopping, pass defending. interceptions, and even blitzing. He is also said to be very smart. With the Bills picking at 28 I would have been OK with taking him late in round 2, and perfectly fine with taking him in the 3rd. Check him out in the playoffs today!

Are there other safeties as good as  or better than Branch? I'm sure there are, BUT; I would NOT place as high a priority on them as I would a WR or OL. My thing is that the best corner or safety in the world can only cover an NFL receiver for so long. Eventually, the WR will get open no matter who is covering them. Josh Allen is one of, if not THE most talented QBs that I have ever watched. He is a bigger John Elway. If he had receivers like Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle (and good protection) he would probably win the next 5 Superbowls . He might even do something similar with the Eagles wideouts. The focus needs to be on maximizing what Josh can do, not the freaking secondary. Levy cost us dearly by not replacing Kelly, Smith, Thurman and Reed when they were getting old. Instead, he focused on the secondary for many years and the decline began. His 2006 draft as GM set this team back for MANY years and I said that it would right here on this board.  

In any event if I thought that a particular safety was a spectacular player, I would be reluctantly OK with a late 2nd round pick and fine with a 3rd.

Sorry to ramble but you asked LOL.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Disagree completely with your first sentence. It’s simply wrong. There was no player contract signed in 2018 that is in force today. It’s not up for debate. The statement is clearly wrong. 

Do they teach finance at Sandusky State?

Unused cap dollars can be rolled over from one year to the next.   So if you don't spend it in 2018 it's available in 2019 and so forth. 

Conversely, money wasted then is money not available in subsequent years.

Which leads to having to borrow future cap space to fill current roster space.

Follow?

It should have been pretty obvious to any moderately astute observer of the salary cap that when Brandon Beane both combined to create what was then the largest amount of dead cap in NFL history in his first 12 months on the job AND subsequently purchased a large 2018 free agent class of unimpactful and wildly overpaid free agents.........that the lack of production he was getting for all of that money was going to lead to future cap trouble and compromise.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Do they teach finance at Sandusky State?

Unused cap dollars can be rolled over from one year to the next.   So if you don't spend it in 2018 it's available in 2019 and so forth. 

Conversely, money wasted then is money not available in subsequent years.

Which leads to having to borrow future cap space to fill current roster space.

Follow?

It should have been pretty obvious to any moderately astute observer of the salary cap that when Brandon Beane both combined to create what was then the largest amount of dead cap in NFL history in his first 12 months on the job AND subsequently purchased a large 2018 free agent class of unimpactful and wildly overpaid free agents.........that the lack of production he was getting for all of that money was going to lead to future cap trouble and compromise.

Sorry you’re wrong.

The amount of cap dollars Bills have rolled over in the past few years is minimal.  I doubt any competitive team has rolled over more than 10% of the cap during their successful years. The teams that roll over 10% of the cap are the losing teams that don’t have good players to pay. 

If you’re trying to argue that Beane SHOULD have been rolling cap dollars over every year since 2018, I’d say rolling cap dollars into the future when you’re in Allen’s peak window is not a wise move. 

Every team pushes cap money into the future. That’s the entire concept of amortizing bonuses. I’m pretty sure that no bonuses paid in 2018 are factored into Bills 2024 cap. 

13 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Sorry you’re wrong.

The amount of cap dollars Bills have rolled over in the past few years is minimal.  I doubt any competitive team has rolled over more than 10% of the cap during their successful years. The teams that roll over 10% of the cap are the losing teams that don’t have good players to pay. 

If you’re trying to argue that Beane SHOULD have been rolling cap dollars over every year since 2018, I’d say rolling cap dollars into the future when you’re in Allen’s peak window is not a wise move. 

Every team pushes cap money into the future. That’s the entire concept of amortizing bonuses. I’m pretty sure that no bonuses paid in 2018 are factored into Bills 2024 cap. 

You're wrong.......you have only a very rudimentary understanding of the salary cap and clearly haven't done any research on the subject.

It would be a lot easier to explain if we knew what the salary cap figures were going to be years in advance.........because it's just simple arithmetic(add/subtract/multiply/divide).   

And that is the excuse that Brandon Beane is using about the salary cap hiccup 4 years ago impacting what he can do ever since and going forward.

See if you can follow this.........maybe don't spend $100M on what would amount to about $10M worth of production in free agency in 2018..........and then when the salary cap decreases by $16M in 2021 you aren't crying poor.

That's what we are talking about here.........Beane thought the salary cap would increase by about $15M in 2021 and instead it fell by $16M.........a net difference of only $31M.    That's 1/3 of what he wasted on that 2018 FA class.  

And it bears note that the next offseason(2022) the cap jumped up slightly disproportionately to an additional $25M.......so that further lessens the overall impact that covid is having on NFL spending today..........and why those who didn't mismanage their salary cap in the years immediately preceding 2020 aren't still complaining about it.

Beane is in the jam he's in now simply because of bad pro personnel decisions early in his Bills tenure.

He just made a bunch of absurd, overpriced signings/acquisitions.   If you weren't shocked by the waste that was going on then you clearly weren't aware of the impact it has.  

And this on the heels of calling the previous regime fiscally irresponsible for only leaving McDermott $32M under the cap when they took over in 2017.  :doh:

On 1/27/2024 at 11:18 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

He needs to upgrade his scouts.  His DL and WR picks have been abysmal overall.  He MUST find legit WR's this draft and I'll go so far as to say a guy that can push Diggs.  We still don't have Alphas on the DL. And I don't want to hear about Oliver.  He showed up when chasing his 500k bonus.  He completely disappeared against KC when it counted.

I feel like dlines disappearing in the playoffs needs to be taken with a grain of salt with how this entire playoffs was officiated.  Every oline was holding like crazy and getting away with it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.