Are the Mafia really the best fans?

Meatloaf63

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Unfortunately there is an epidemic of keyboard warriors that affects all of hunanity including some bills fans.  One day it will completely change the world as we know it today IMO

Is there a fanbase in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL that has gained more from "keyboard warriors" and social media than the Bills fanbase?

I don't think so.

Before the whole "Bills Mafia" identity was created because of Bills fan twitter outrage..........Bills fans were just a largely unrecognized collection of tribes who shared a common hostility about not getting any respect or due acknowledgement nationally for their devotion to the team.

Now that we've been effectively unionized and acknowledged, the gameday experience is much less about that chip on the shoulder and rage at opposing fans and media and more about the party and maintaining the reputation for being generous etc..   See the response to the few idiots who attacked Tyler Bass.   It's been an outsized reaction of positivity.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, Meatloaf63 said:

I travel a lot for work, Airports, restaurants, malls. This past year I saw Bills fans everywhere where I went. Trips to LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Ft Meyers, Ft. lauderdale Miami. Every trip i went on, I got a “Go Bills” or at least saw people, multiple people representing. This week, went through DC, Baltimore airport, Charlotte, finished up in West Palm Beach today. Saw one guy with a Bills hat all week. It was like people were embarrassed that we lost to KC again. 

But really the worst thing that made me pause was the treatment and threats to Bass. How embarrassing and really down right dirty low class. I haven’t lived in Buffalo for a long time, and this was the first year I didn’t make it back for a visit. So what’s going on up there? I would hope it was just a small sample size of fans who acted out like that, but damn they were a serious black eye on the mafia. Cant tell you how many friends and co workers mentioned how nasty Bills fans are this week, Buy the end of the eeek i just gave up defending and had to agree to a point. 

Yes. To put up with the decades of abuse by the Buffalo Bills, but still show up to games enthusiastic takes a lot of heart. Definitely the best American sports fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, Meatloaf63 said:

I travel a lot for work, Airports, restaurants, malls. This past year I saw Bills fans everywhere where I went. Trips to LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Ft Meyers, Ft. lauderdale Miami. Every trip i went on, I got a “Go Bills” or at least saw people, multiple people representing. This week, went through DC, Baltimore airport, Charlotte, finished up in West Palm Beach today. Saw one guy with a Bills hat all week. It was like people were embarrassed that we lost to KC again. 

But really the worst thing that made me pause was the treatment and threats to Bass. How embarrassing and really down right dirty low class. I haven’t lived in Buffalo for a long time, and this was the first year I didn’t make it back for a visit. So what’s going on up there? I would hope it was just a small sample size of fans who acted out like that, but damn they were a serious black eye on the mafia. Cant tell you how many friends and co workers mentioned how nasty Bills fans are this week, Buy the end of the eeek i just gave up defending and had to agree to a point. 

Unfortunately every single fan base has piece of crap fans. Most of the good Bills fans outweighs the bad. I promise you. And Unfortunately, if you do a Google search, you can find death threats to any player from any fanbase for any team. I got into this argument with a Chiefs and Eagles fan on Twitter and both said "your fans are garbage because of what they did to Tyler Bass and hiw unclassy our fans are". I made it clear that's not all our fans and posted proof from stories from online of Chiefs fans threatening another teams player as well as multiple videos of Chiefs fans heckling opposing teams fans in Arrowhead and then of course they said "you're just picking out isolated fans" lol. I post an article to the Eagles fan of other Eagles fans giving death threats to Jadaveon Clowney for the way he sacked Wentz in Philly a few years back. With actual screen shots of what was said to Clowner. They shut right up after that. So, yes we do have the best fans but some are garbage. That's the way it is with every fanbase

20 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

You could literally write this paragraph word for word for about 10-15 fanbases.

You’re right, but I think Buffalo has something unique that only Green Bay could have. Buffalo is one of the smallest cities in the NFL. It’s often referred to as a city with a small town feel. The impact of Bills football on the area is greater than other areas. If someone doesn’t agree with this, that’s fine, but there’s no way I can’t see this fact. The entire area is attached to what happens on game day. It’s what everyone talks about at work on Monday morning. You could easily live in the suburbs of Boston, and not hear a mention of the Pats on Monday morning at work. I’m not questioning Pats fans in particular, there’s millions of them, but the percentage of people who care in the metro area is smaller imo.

An extremely high percentage of Buffalonians care about the Bills. That’s what makes it special to me. We also don’t have MLB, or the NBA in the city either. I think fans in places like Detroit are also great. They’re probably amazing to a player like Goff after years in LA, but it’s still a bigger city with more titles than Buffalo. I’ve never seen a place where random role players can’t walk through a mall without being noticed, and that’s Buffalo. 

There will always be a-holes in any decent sized group. Fans treating Bass like this, fans in the stadium and lots verbally abusing and threatening opposing teams fans, even kids.  But they are very VERY much the minority.  And I have also seen true Bills fans step in to help try and correct the wrong.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Is there a fanbase in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL that has gained more from "keyboard warriors" and social media than the Bills fanbase?

I don't think so.

Before the whole "Bills Mafia" identity was created because of Bills fan twitter outrage..........Bills fans were just a largely unrecognized collection of tribes who shared a common hostility about not getting any respect or due acknowledgement nationally for their devotion to the team.

Now that we've been effectively unionized and acknowledged, the gameday experience is much less about that chip on the shoulder and rage at opposing fans and media and more about the party and maintaining the reputation for being generous etc..   See the response to the few idiots who attacked Tyler Bass.   It's been an outsized reaction of positivity.

You do t know what a keyboard warrior is.   This went over your head.  

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

noun

INFORMAL

noun: keyboard warrior; plural noun: keyboard warriors

a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.

"another keyboard warrior calling people names"

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You do t know what a keyboard warrior is.   This went over your head.  

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

noun

INFORMAL

noun: keyboard warrior; plural noun: keyboard warriors

a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.

"another keyboard warrior calling people names"

I guess you are just REALLY ignorant regarding this topic.

The term "Bills Mafia" was derived from angry "keyboard warrior" Bills fans attacking mainstream media members like a gang on social media.    

The bile directed at national media critics of the oft-inept Bills organization was to the point of being both a little scary for the recipients..........but also at a high enough volume that these talking heads saw that they could up their social media following and increase their brand value by pandering to the "Bills Mafia". 

Why do you think the term "Mafia" was used?   Did you really believe that "Mafia means family" narrative that was created long after the fact? 😂

• Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess you are just REALLY ignorant regarding this topic.

The term "Bills Mafia" was derived from angry "keyboard warrior" Bills fans attacking mainstream media members like a gang on social media.    

The bile directed at national media critics of the oft-inept Bills organization was to the point of being both a little scary for the recipients..........but also at a high enough volume that these talking heads saw that they could up their social media following and increase their brand value by pandering to the "Bills Mafia". 

Why do you think the term "Mafia" was used?   Did you really believe that "Mafia means family" narrative that was created long after the fact? 😂

whos “ignorant”?   Lol. The context in this discussion has nothing to do with what you are talking about.  You think it’s ok for people to threaten Bass probably.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.