Was the old playoff format better?

Nklaiste1

28 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

The best you could hope for is that they go to 8 teams per conference for the playoffs with a bye for the 1 and 2 seed.

It feels too easy a path for me being a 1 seed that plays one game to be in the title game , while the opponent goes through a gauntlet. Give the two the same thing so that if it lines up the top two from the regular season advance to face each other in the title game, it's more even. 

The one seed enjoys too much of an advantage IMO

But they have been the best team in their conference in the regular season. I feel like that should be rewarded. Honestly I never liked the 1 and 2 seed bye thing. I much prefer only the #1 seed having the bye. What is the justification for the #2 seed getting a bye other than it allowed them to have a 6 team playoff pool? There is justification for rewarding the 1 seed IMO.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Nklaiste1 said:

When we played KC we were banged up and they had a 2 day rest advantage. If we had played under the old format (6 teams), we would've gotten a BYE and had a big rest advantage. 

So my question is which format do you think is better? The 6 team or 7 team? 

I personally like the 6 team format better because I feel 2 teams from each conference should get a bye.

Loved that and 16 game schedule. Hate that everything is changed and probably will change more. 18 game and 8 in each side. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

But they have been the best team in their conference in the regular season. I feel like that should be rewarded. Honestly I never liked the 1 and 2 seed bye thing. I much prefer only the #1 seed having the bye. What is the justification for the #2 seed getting a bye other than it allowed them to have a 6 team playoff pool? There is justification for rewarding the 1 seed IMO.

You could have two teams that are 14-3 and didn't play each other, but the team that wins the tiebreaker cause of conference record or opponent win % should enjoy not just home field against them, but also a bye week so they had a much easier path?

I wanna see the title game played evenly rest wise  if those top two win their respective games to meet each other for a chance to go to the big game

40 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

You could have two teams that are 14-3 and didn't play each other, but the team that wins the tiebreaker cause of conference record or opponent win % should enjoy not just home field against them, but also a bye week so they had a much easier path?

I wanna see the title game played evenly rest wise  if those top two win their respective games to meet each other for a chance to go to the big game

When it comes down to strength of victory I will grant you that feels harsh. But how often does that happen? Extremely rarely. If it is on conference record, yea I think that is a legitimate reason for the advantage. Divisions should matter and the conference should matter. 

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Mark Cuban was not wrong. The NFL is Icarus, and one day its wings will burn.

To clarify........10 years ago Mark Cuban said the NFL would implode in 10 years. :doh:

He couldn't have been more wrong.    Quoting him for truth on that is like quoting some Y2K or 2012 apocalypse prophet.

All these current sports will eventually run their course but their business model is FAR better than the NBA, MLB or NHL. 

And it's not even close.

But as for the topic at hand........the current setup is fine.    Back when the Bills were getting the #1 seed in the 90's I really didn't like the fact that the #2 seed was also getting a bye.   The regular season champ deserves more of an advantage over the #2.   Especially if it's accomplished over 17 or 18 games.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

2020. So four seasons of the new format. Bills have been the #2 seed three out of those four years - 2020, 2022, 2023. 

wow. my memory is getting awful. seems like it was a decade ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.