Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

1 hour ago, since79 said:

This is what kills us. We squander opportunity. 

The entire season we coach to make the playoffs and our systems are good enough. In the playoffs our systems need to be better or change.  You watch KC's D get better as they also win.  They find ways to get Jones and McDuffy and defenders who are physical and make them a tough team to play.  They play tight coverage where you have to earn every yard. Playoff football.  Meanwhile we draft in similar spots and find pretenders who don't match their draft status.  We draft non physical finesse type players who fit a system instead of changing style and adapting to what is needed.  Meanwhile you go years ignoring the side of the ball you should have focused on in the first place.

My question is who dictates the type of players we go after. I suspect the coach mostly and the GM tries to satisfy his request for what type of player.  Together they have to look in the mirror and do and honest appraisal of how they constructed this team.  I don't think this happens for Beane because he sees the team through McD's rose colored glasses. To him we are almost there.  

What do you want ? The defense this year under McD was much more aggressive and i would be totally willing to bet you that if Millano, Tre, Jones, and Von would have been at 100% this season the Bills would still be playing right now .

Then given what happened with Dorcey getting fired if you didn't notice difference in the offense after that then you need to rematch the games . If Brady is kept on as the OC which i for one hopes does happen plus given what Josh, Kalil, & other players have said in their endorsements of Brady i would like to see 100% of his version of offense with Josh .

So there's 2 things that have changed just this season which i'm pretty sure with all healthy this team would be better . McD isn't the one that told Brady to run he said in his interview they are a pass first team & you have to pass to win but you need a good run game too in order to win which was another change when Brady took over .

I feel they look at themselves and their choices harder than anyone else ever could because they both had to always do better to get where they are & they learned under some of the best coaches out there Reid, Johnson, and others .

So i'll give him the time rather than throwing away all the progress we've made .

3 hours ago, T master said:

What do you want ? The defense this year under McD was much more aggressive and i would be totally willing to bet you that if Millano, Tre, Jones, and Von would have been at 100% this season the Bills would still be playing right now .

Then given what happened with Dorcey getting fired if you didn't notice difference in the offense after that then you need to rematch the games . If Brady is kept on as the OC which i for one hopes does happen plus given what Josh, Kalil, & other players have said in their endorsements of Brady i would like to see 100% of his version of offense with Josh .

So there's 2 things that have changed just this season which i'm pretty sure with all healthy this team would be better . McD isn't the one that told Brady to run he said in his interview they are a pass first team & you have to pass to win but you need a good run game too in order to win which was another change when Brady took over .

I feel they look at themselves and their choices harder than anyone else ever could because they both had to always do better to get where they are & they learned under some of the best coaches out there Reid, Johnson, and others .

So i'll give him the time rather than throwing away all the progress we've made .

Thanks T I appreciate the feedback. Although it may not seem so, I agree our coach and GM should stay and continue to work to improve.  I am not ready to throw them under the bus and forget where we came from.  It is tough for you to ask teammates to be accountable when you want to be their buddy and a likeable guy.  That is Josh and I love him, he tries to do it by being a gladiator and leading by example.

Our team may need more accountability, I think Brady was demonstrating that early on by teaching basic route running on his first day as coordinator. That is a good thing and I want to keep him. I hope McD shows self accountability to his own mistakes more in the future.  He fails to demonstrate that in public as much as Josh and absorb blame for others. If he did not want to expose someone after the 13 second debacle, he should of said it was me.   It is tough to ask others for perfection and accountability when blame is deflected.  

Personal growth is best achieved through self reflection, accepting failure and attempting in the future to avoid it again.  We will have a better future.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.