Which young QB is poised to become a superstar?

SI.com article

This year, another group of young quarterbacks have a chance to make a big leap. Statistically, however, it's not likely more than one or two of them will become stars. Here's my take, with a little help from the good doctor(Dr Z), on which QB has the best chance to break out.

1.  Carson Palmer

2.  David Carr

3.  JP Losman

4.  Eli Manning

5.  Byron Leftwich

6.  Joey Harrington

7.  Kyle Boller

It's only words written in June, but impressive just the same.  JP is the only one listed who hasn't had any real playing time.  My guess is that the writer looked at the surrounding cast and that weighed heavily in his ranking.

356812[/snapback]

Yes, I think Byron Leftwich is already there.

It's only words written in June, but impressive just the same.  JP is the only one listed who hasn't had any real playing time.  My guess is that the writer looked at the surrounding cast and that weighed heavily in his ranking.

356812[/snapback]

I suspect that, at least early on, the Bills will be very reliant on Willis McGahee, and will wait for the game to "come to" JP Losman. One thing I like about our current coaching staff, they seem to have enough patience to stay the course, and give problems enough time to iron themselves out. I don't see them taking lots of major risks with Losaman tossing the ball early on. Instead, we will see lots of McGahee, and an agressive defense. Games will be close, as JP Losman progresses, maybe we start pulling away from teams late in the game...my kind of football! I would gladly give up the next three months of my life, for football season to start, today! :doh:

I had to scratch my head at this one:

Drew Henson, Dallas Cowboys: The former Yankee and Michigan star is currently fighting with Tony Romo for the No. 2 job. You have to figure Jerry Jones will push Bill Parcells to give that spot to Henson and at some point starter Drew Bledsoe will get hurt. The Cowboys have a chance to be good this season, so maybe Henson could step in and be a big surprise.

Whatever you all want to say about Bledsoe, he's one of the most durable quarterbacks in the league. The only significant time he's missed in 12 years was due to a late hit / freak injury and if I'm not mistaken, he didn't miss a start in three years in Buffalo.

I had to scratch my head at this one:

Whatever you all want to say about Bledsoe, he's one of the most durable quarterbacks in the league.  The only significant time he's missed in 12 years was due to a late hit / freak injury and if I'm not mistaken, he didn't miss a start in three years in Buffalo.

356849[/snapback]

No, you are not mistaken. He got up from some brutal hits- what a good trivia question: how many sacks did Bledsoe take in Buffalo?

No, you are not mistaken. He got up from some brutal hits- what a good trivia question: how many sacks did Bledsoe take in Buffalo?

356888[/snapback]

Mike, a better one would be how many did he take when Travis Henry was starting. Sacks were cut in half just as soon as he was benched.

Carson Palmer gets rated ahead of JP? I don't think so. . .

357018[/snapback]

Well, he's got 18 more NFL touchdown passes than JP so far.

Palmer's 77.3 QB rating in essentially his rookie year wasn't too shabby (it beat DB's 76.6 rating). Palmer got better as the year went on, too (60.9 rating in September, 64.2 in October, 84.9 in November and 121.1 in December).

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396173/splits/2004

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2004/regular

I suspect that, at least early on, the Bills will be very reliant on Willis McGahee, and will wait for the game to "come to" JP Losman.  One thing I like about our current coaching staff, they seem to have enough patience to stay the course, and give problems enough time to iron themselves out.  I don't see them taking lots of major risks with Losaman tossing the ball early on.  Instead, we will see lots of McGahee, and an agressive defense.  Games will be close, as JP Losman progresses, maybe we start pulling away from teams late in the game...my kind of football!  I would gladly give up the next three months of my life, for football season to start, today! ;)

356845[/snapback]

Yeah, they were patient with Travis and Drew last year. Let's hope this turns out better. At least they learned early that Lindell couldn't be trusted.

Yes, I think Byron Leftwich is already there.

356827[/snapback]

i wouldnt go that far. i woudl say hes ok, but he still has his problems. i would put Carr at the top of the list. he has won alot of games the texans should not have won.

Yeah, they were patient with Travis and Drew last year.  Let's hope this turns out better.  At least they learned early that Lindell couldn't be trusted.

357167[/snapback]

Yes and no, depending on whether or not they thought they had a viable alternative. Considering that Travis was the 2003 team MVP (as voted by the players themselves) and the coaches weren't sure about Willis' grasp of the playbook at the beginning of last season, six games to make that switch isn't unreasonable. They may not have been quite as patient with Drew if Losman hadn't gotten hurt. They weren't patient at all with Bobby Shaw... or Izell Reese... or Coy Wire starting at safety. All three were either benched or gone as soon as Coach Mularkey found a better option.

That said... even though I like having Holcomb available, I can't see them doing anything BUT being patient with Losman.

SI.com article

356697[/snapback]

Let's hope he is right. I am surprised not to see Roethlisberger (sp?) on the list. Does this article mean Roethlisberger is "there" already? If so, he has listed close 17n quarterbacks who are elite or close to being elite QBs. It was kind of vague.