What Should the Bills Roster Building Emphasis be for 2024?

Chaos

What Should the Bills Roster Building Emphasis be for 2024?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What Should the Bills Roster Building Emphasis be for 2024?

• Offense - Build to score 35 against the Chiefs in the playoffs
    • Defense - Build to Hold the Chiefs to 21 Chiefs in the playoffs

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I get that, but it’s pretty likely more defensive guys get added since on offense we probably only have to replace a few WRs and some RB depth.

I think we will see David Edwards and Ty Johnson return. 

We may only see 4 impact additions on offense, while defense could have 6-7. 

I hope so. I ❤ Ty Johnson as a RB. He's a Buffalo type of RB. Shifty with a little power. Fred Jackson like. Did he get hurt the other night? 

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Oline became a strength this year.  However, Morse is ancient, and Brown can be improved upon. I would not be opposed to the Bills further solidifying or upgrading these posisitons with early draft picks.  Its possible to get immediate impact from a rookie WR, but in real life without a top draft pick, its more of a crapshoot, and you can find these players in middle rounds. Its not clear that pick 28 would guarantee success vs pick 56 or 84. 

image.thumb.png.165039a55224ac0fa974cda9d791ce6d.png

Sure, but I think Puka Nacua is a bit of an outlier. Otherwise the non-early picks among that list are slot receivers. Jayden Reed, Josh Downs, Tank Dell - I like those guys but that isn't what the Bills need. I like where Shakir is. A shifty underneath / slot receiver isn't what will take this offense on. Dell is probably a bit more than that because he is a genuine home run threat every time he touches the ball, but still my point stands. The explosive outside guys will go early. 

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

From The Athletic:

“1. The Chiefs beat the Bills in the playoffs for the third time in the past four seasons. Two quick takeaways, one for each team.

• What the Bills must do: Defensive injuries give Buffalo a potential out for its inability to stop the Chiefs when it mattered, but it’s an out the organization cannot afford to take. The issues on that side of the ball run deeper and will require some form of roster overhaul for the future.

Thirty-five defensive players logged at least 10 snaps for the Bills and Chiefs on Sunday. Seven of the eight oldest played for Buffalo: Linval Joseph (35), Von Miller (34), Micah Hyde (33), Jordan Poyer (32), A.J. Klein (32), DaQuan Jones(32) and Leonard Floyd (31).

The Bills keep getting older on defense while the Chiefs have gotten much younger.

The chart below shows the average ages on defense for the Chiefs and Bills since 2019, using data from TruMedia. The averages are weighted for playing time to provide higher resolution.

The Chiefs ranked fifth in defensive EPA per play during the regular season with eight defensive starters drafted since 2020. The Bills ranked seventh but are older, smaller and more injured, giving them less staying power, which showed up Sunday. (Kansas City has consistently averaged about five pounds heavier per defender on a snap-weighted basis, using unofficial player weights.)

“Buffalo is an effort-pursue defense that is going to take speed over size every time,” an opposing coach said of the Bills, “so their best player is (linebacker) Matt Milano, and he’s small (221 pounds) and he got hurt. At the end of this game, when everybody wants them to get a stop and get the ball back for Josh Allen, Kansas City gets the first down easily.”

Buffalo and Kansas City, unlike their counterparts in the NFC bracket, are paying top dollar for their quarterbacks. That forces them to budget accordingly for the long range. But with age comes higher salaries. Buffalo has 10 defensive players earning at least $3.5 million per year this season. Kansas City has three.

The Chiefs made a calculated bet in the 2022 offseason, trading Tyreek Hill for picks and investing heavily in defense in the draft, and they made those investments count. They leapfrogged the Bills in the first round for cornerback Trent McDuffie, who was a first-team All-Pro this season. George Karlaftis, taken nine picks later, has added to an impressive homegrown pass rush.

The Bills have taken some swings on defense in the draft, but without the same results. After Kansas City took McDuffie, Buffalo made a small trade-up for cornerback Kaiir Elam, who has just eight starts through two seasons. The Bills spent a first and two second-round picks on pass rushers (A.J. Epenesa, Gregory Rousseau and Boogie Basham) from 2020 to 2021, but none has been as productive as Karlaftis, leading them to splurge on a 33-year-old Miller in 2022.

The Bills have many things to figure out this offseason, including what direction the offense is headed following an in-season coordinator change on that side of the ball. Defensively, they need to follow the Chiefs’ lead in reversing the aging process.“

https://theathletic.com/5215245/2024/01/22/chiefs-bills-nfl-divisional-playoffs-ravens-lions/

Yea I read that yesterday. Sure, we need to get younger at some spots on defense. But that wouldn't be priority #1 for me. 

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I hope so. I ❤ Ty Johnson as a RB. He's a Buffalo type of RB. Shifty with a little power. Fred Jackson like. Did he get hurt the other night? 

Possibly, I know Klein, Dodson, Kincaid, and Knox all left the game and came back. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure, but I think Puka Nacua is a bit of an outlier. Otherwise the non-early picks among that list are slot receivers. Jayden Reed, Josh Downs, Tank Dell - I like those guys but that isn't what the Bills need. I like where Shakir is. A shifty underneath / slot receiver isn't what will take this offense on. Dell is probably a bit more than that because he is a genuine home run threat every time he touches the ball, but still my point stands. The explosive outside guys will go early. 

I did not mean to suggest you can find a 1500 yard reciever in the fifth round. That certainly is an outlier.  My point, was probably not clear, but it was more related to the guys in the middle of the list. It was more about the fact that the Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Quentin Johnson type of first round draft picks did not pan out (For year 1) any better than the Michael Wilson or Jonathan Mingo type picks, in terms of actual production.  I think for the most part Rookie Wr's come with a cap. 

They will find a mid level receiver in FA and draft another one in Round 1 most likely …

They should take a C Rounds 3-4 to learn the ropes for a year to take over the spot in 2025 …

The rest of the emphasis will be on the Defense ….DE, DT and S…. Maybe one of those sixth rounders on a RB to take over from  Murray.

Edited by Aussie Joe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.