Breaking: DeBoer Next HC of Alabama

Mikie2times

41 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I usually want guys like DeBoer to succeed in their new gig, but now I don't

He is one of the better coaches in college football. I don't know who I would rather have right now. 

On 1/12/2024 at 6:00 PM, Mikie2times said:

He is one of the better coaches in college football. I don't know who I would rather have right now. 

I wanted Sarkisian but knew that there was no way Alabama could compete monetarily with Texas. I read somewhere that Sexton got Sark a raise to his already big salary to stay in Texas. Kiffen would have been fine as well but he seems to have burned bridges with his unceremonious departure as OC.

I don't know anything about Deboer but folks are raving about him. Still, the whole situation is very sad, unless one's team no longer has to face Saban. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

I think DeBoer is a good football coach but man this is a jump. In 2019 he was the OC at Indiana. Now he is the Head Coach of the Crimson Tide. Two seasons at Fresno, two seasons at Washington. His record is solid but he hasn't built those programmes with a lot of guys he has recruited. I have no doubt he can coach on Saturdays. but the difference when you are in one of these prestige jobs is that being a great coach on Saturday is only part of the job.

The reason Saban and even to lesser extents the likes of Urban and Dabo and Kirby have been successful is because they have built a culture and built a programme. Harbaugh too. He was building that thing for nine years. There were plenty of missteps along the way, but they were building. Every now and again you get a here today, gone tomorrow National Champion. I'd put LSU's miracle season in that category. But generally that isn't how it works. These programmes are built meticulously, top to bottom with a culture established then good recruiting, then a standard of winning and ultimately the big success. 

I am NOT saying DeBoer can't do it by the way. I am just saying it is a total unknown. We know he can coach. Can he do the rest? Will be intriguing to find out.  

I think it was the right time for Saban to step down btw. I said in the other thread I consider he, Belichick and Carroll to be the three dominant coaches of the 21st century so far and they all fell within 48 hours. Bill the best NFL coach, Saban the best college coach, Pete the only man this century to win a championship in both college and the pros. But just one National Championship in the last 6 years for Saban and the landscape changing with NIL, transfer portal, conference re-alignment, playoff expansion.... it is only going to get more challenging. A 52 year old Nick Saban would have relished that. A 72 year old Nick Saban, less so. I understand his decision to step away totally. 

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Seems like he is losing lots of guys.  Bama could have a pretty down year next year.  Texas is loading up and obviously Georgia is always good.

HC retired. It was expected some players will leave.

Right now, the portal is open for players exiting Bama, Udub, etc only.

Have to wait until Spring when the portal opens for all.

It appears the center from Udub is following Deboer to Bama.

He will be an upgrade.

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

HC retired. It was expected some players will leave.

Right now, the portal is open for players exiting Bama, Udub, etc only.

Have to wait until Spring when the portal opens for all.

It appears the center from Udub is following Deboer to Bama.

He will be an upgrade.

We will also see what happens in Michigan if Harbaugh goes to the NFL. It will probably pay a bit less but it is a much easier job, and there are already lots of openings. He can probably pick and choose an NFL  team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.