Shakir needs to get the ball more

Scott7975

A friend of mine is a huge Boise State fan and while he's not an NFL fan, he never misses a chance to recap Shakir's performance from the prior Bill's game.  He told me that Shakir was an absolute swiss army knife in college and they would put the ball in his hands however possible, not only on kick returns but in the run game as well.  Looking at his college stats, sure enough he did get about 20 carries per year and averaged 6ypc.  I wonder if some of these jet sweep type plays that Lil' Dirty used to run for us, which have been largely ineffective with Harty, could be utilized with Shakir?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I haven't seen Cook having to make any great catches 30 yards down the field. Both wide open touchdowns that he's dropped were right in his hands. 

He's a bad receiver. Swing passes, screens, sure. But I'd much rather Shakir get these opportunities than Cook. And Kincaid is going to be a stud so more for him is fine by me.

Cook? No.

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Cooks drop% is nearing 10% while his avg depth of target is 2.5 yards btw.  His hands have not been good over this stretch.  Not even just in catches but holding the ball.  He almost fumbled again this past game.

Yeah I appreciate Cook's explosiveness and his improvement this year but I don't need to see him get more touches. I don't consider him a dependable player and his level of ball security makes me nervous.

Shakir is blossoming before our very eyes. He's an all-around receiver who does everything well. He can beat man with quickness and speed and has a great feel for finding openings in zone. I definitely want to see Shakir and Kincaid continue to grow into larger roles.

One of the best things about the Miami game for me was Josh settling down and taking the layups. That's why he was 30 of 38 and highly efficient. He was also 8-10 in the 2nd half of the Patriots game after he decided to throw underneath to open receivers. I believe that Josh can become the QB he was in 2020 when he completed 69.2% of his passes and threw only 10 interceptions. Actually I think he should be able to complete 75% of his throws. If Josh exercises a bit more discipline as a thrower, the Bills should be unbeatable.

• Agree 1

He is not our best offensive weapon but he has developed this year into the guy I thought he could be coming out. I had a 3rd round grade on him and thought he was a steal in the 5th. But he came from a really gimmicky offense at Boise and my prediction at the start of last season was it'd take some time and he'd start to come on late last year. He didn't, he struggled all year to separate and to catch the ball and then he had a poor camp this past summer and there was a point where I thought it might not happen. But 611 yards in his second season... 363 of them since Brady took over. Lots of encouragement that he can really be a part of this team the next couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Statistically he had an amazing year for his limited targets.

He led the league in yards per target with 13.6. The 10th best in the league was only 10 yards per target. That's a 3.6 yards difference between the #1 and #10.

He led the league in W/R catch rate with a 86.7% The 10th best W/R catch rate was 73.4%, again a significant difference.

3rd longest reception in the NFL for 81 yards. 

He Led the NFL in Receiving Success Rate with 73.3% (a successful catch as one which gains at least 40% of the yards required on first down, 60% of the yards required on second down, and converts third and fourth downs.)

12th in yards per catch with 15.7

Was 136th in the NFL with 45 targets, however he was 66th in the league with 611 yards for the season.

They need to try to feed him the ball more, hopefully he can produce similar results with more targets.

Go Bills!!

Next Year!!!!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving.htm

Nice core of shakir and dalton kincaid

future is brighter with them blossoming - now we need another wr - and more touches for those guys

cook - yeah had drops - coming along as well out of the backfield - great running this year 

offensive line is SOLID imo

this team is better than bills fans admit heading into next year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.