Ross Verba

KRT88

Now that Cleveland has released veteran tackle Ross Verba, is there any reason the Bills shouldn't try to sign him?

We appear to need to the line help.

354981[/snapback]

1) cost

2) age

3) personal issues

4) injury concerns

5) skill

all that being said, i'd make the guy a solid 1 year offer (or a 2 or a 3 year deal which allows for a cut next spring with minimal cap damage if necessary) but only IF he finds the market for his services lukewarm......

the more i think about it, the more i believe he already had a deal lined up before all this contract stuff even came up with the browns........we'll find out soon enough.......

I'd rather Gandy or Pucillo then Verba.  Verba is terrible like those two, but a lot more expensive.

355306[/snapback]

I just don't feel comfortable with Gandy or Pucillo with a 1st year QB in there. It's JMO. I think Verba is an upgrade but how much does he want is the question. Nice talking with you VA.

I just don't feel comfortable with Gandy or Pucillo with a 1st year QB in there. It's JMO. I think Verba is an upgrade but how much does he want is the question. Nice talking with you VA.

355315[/snapback]

NFL | Cash and Commitment Needed to Sign Verba - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:09:00 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports free agent OT Ross Verba said he plans to start making visits to teams next week. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for. "I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that." Verba said he will tell teams not to all unless they will be offering a big, multiyear contract. When asked how big, Verba replied, "$35 million." "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

What it really comes down to is - does TD, Tom Modrak, JM, MM feel they need a guy to come in and be given the starting LOT job?

If THEY (not us) think so, I am sure they will talk to Kelly Holcomb to get his opinion.

That said, based on Mike M's comments that are outlined at billsdaily.com I don't think they will be interested, IMHO.

Personally, I'd like to see Verba in here because I view him as a huge upgrade to Gandy. However, 35 million dollars is simply insane...the only team willing to give him that money would be the Redskins who overpay for everyone.

But I guarantee you that when Verba signs with another team, we'll still get people here crying and whining that the Bills could have easily got him.

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports free agent OT Ross Verba said he plans to start making visits to teams next week. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for. "I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that." Verba said he will tell teams not to all unless they will be offering a big, multiyear contract. When asked how big, Verba replied, "$35 million." "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

355326[/snapback]

Oh my.

Hold it high, Ross!

355326[/snapback]

Mularky said today the Bills have not had any discussions about Verba.

http://buffalobills.com/player/

355326[/snapback]

I thought it was a joke, but there it is on kffl.com

If that's true, he's too stupid to sign.

355338[/snapback]

Exactly. McNally likes smart linemen and that is an inarguably stupid thing to say. At first I was going to complain that I wish posters would just stop lampooning snippets from KFFL as the joke had run its course but then I saw it there.

355326[/snapback]

Tom Condon = RJ

If this guy thinks that some team will shell out $35 million for an adequet, aging, often injured rapist, he is sadly mistaken. The league, for the most part excluding Snyder and Jones, has frowned upon shelling out large amounts of money to guys with character issues. He is going to get a one or two year deal at the most and nowhere near $35 million, IMO.