Sporting News has Bills in Reverse

Tolstoy

I agree with all of that for sure.  The Bills offseason was um........how do I put this.....oh yeah.........POOR.

Glad we addressed the left tackle and defensive tackle spots in the draft.

;)

With...whom? A 2nd round rookie LT, assuming they traded up to get Barnes? Yeah, that's what you want protecting a rookie starting QB. :(

As for DT, they have Edwards and addressed DT in LAST year's draft.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they be more worried now?  Buffalo's problem according to Bill B. is that their "line is for s..t".  Losing JJ and adding a couple of rejects from crappy teams isn't likely to change that.  We had healthy tight ends last year for most of the year.  If you think BB is cowering in fear over facing a virtual rookie QB rather than Bledsoe or anyone else, you need to pass that bong.

First of all, Belichick made that comment several years ago when the line WAS "for sh--" and they had lousy coaching. That's no longer the case and coaching can go a long way, as the Patriots themselves have proven. Also a mobile QB is a bigger headache for DC's than an immobile one. But even still, since JP is a rookie starter, I expect the Bills to take a page out of the Pats' playbook and use him like they did Brady in 2001, i.e. to hand-off and throw short safe passes, while relying on the running game, defense, and good ST's mostly.

We made no bones of the fact that we were going to run, run and run some more last year and in response, defenses put 7 or 8 in the box to stuff the run on first down.  Our line was not strong enough then nor is it now, to gain yards against a defense playing the run.  With all those guys in the box, they would just blitz when we didn't run knowing that our line would not pick it up or Drew would be forced to check down to a receiver running a 5 yard pattern on 3rd and 11 which, in football language, spells: p-u-n-t.

Who says our line is not strong enough now to gain yards against a defense playing the run? Big Mike, Villarrial, and Anderson are beasts in the running game. Teague is improving (although I'd like to find someone better), and Gandy is a good run-blocker from what I've read. Plus Willis should be better in his 2nd year as a starter and there appear to be more weapons at WR.

Oh, and I agree with them than KC has had a very good offseason. They could do some damage if they stay healthy.

354999[/snapback]

I'm in the minority on that. Kendrall Bell (good rookie season), Carlos Hall (a couple good games in place of Kearse), and Sammy Knight (slow) don't really do that much for me; especially with the price they paid. Patrick Surtain is about the only "sure thing" they signed IMO. Priest Holmes isn't getting any younger either. I think it's going to be a rough year if we can't beat that team at home.

This obsession with quarterback "mobility" as the holy grail of offensive productivity and the lack of it as the cause of everything from holding penalties to global warming has got to stop. 

Duh! TD caused global warming, havent you read THAT thread?

:(;)

Here are 2 DTs from our roster last year

DT #1 Had 21 tackles, 15 solo, 4 sacks and 2 tackles for loss in 11 games

DT #2 had 53 tackles, 43 solo, 3 sacks and 7 tackles for loss in 15 games

Here's the caveat, DT #2 had 12 tackles, 8 solos and a sack in 1 game.  Was our defense dominating that day?  No, it was week 17 against the Steelers when they ran up and down the field against us. 

If you subtract that 1 game DT #2's stats become 41 tackles, 35 solo and 2 sacks over 14 games.

DT #1 averaged 1.9 tackles, 1.4 solos, and .36 sacks per game

DT #2 averaged 2.9 tackles, 2.5 solos, and .14 sacks per game (subtracting week 17)

So DT #2 averaged about 1 tackle more per game than DT #1.

Obviously DT #1 is Ron Edwards and DT #2 is Pat Williams. Take into account that Williams was a starter and saw the field way more often than Edwards where is the huge dropoff in production?  Do you not think that Ron Edwards can bring 1 more tackle to the field with more playing time? 

I'd also like to point out that the reason Sam Adams made the Pro Bowl last year was because he got benched during Miami game #1 in favor of Ron Edwards.  After that game Adams was an unholy beast to block for the rest of the season because he had to compete for his playing time with Edwards, if he didn't perform he was gonna sit.

Edwards may not be as well known as Williams but don't call him a scrub.  He was just as productive last year and is 6 years younger than Pat.

355024[/snapback]

BEAUTIFUL! AND Anderson will play Edwards roll this year. And for Jennings Yeah I remember all those great holes he made for Magahee on the left side and Bledsoe having all that time to throw man are we going to miss him NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With...whom?  A 2nd round rookie LT, assuming they traded up to get Barnes?  Yeah, that's what you want protecting a rookie starting QB. :(

As for DT, they have Edwards and addressed DT in LAST year's draft.

355037[/snapback]

I love how people just look over Anderson and Edwards as if these guys are bums. TD addressed the DT situation LAST year on Day One, probably knowing full well that Pat Williams would be difficult to re-sign. And on top of that, Edwards played very well this year when they plugged him in. I'm very confident in our ability to overcome the loss of PW. Plus, we are returning 10 other starters on the Defense...was Pat Williams the heart and soul of this Defense? Nope...in fact, I think I'd put 4-5 guys ahead of him on that list. He was an excellent player, but we didnt draft Anderson to ride the pine his entire career, we obviously thought enough of him to draft him in the 3rd last year, so the kid must have some skills.

We still need a LT though...*cough cough*

This obsession with quarterback "mobility" as the holy grail of offensive productivity and the lack of it as the cause of everything from holding penalties to global warming has got to stop.  Football games are won or lost in the trenches.  If you defense stinks, it is usually because your defensive line stinks.  If your offense stinks, it is usually because your offensive line stinks.

354975[/snapback]

While that's 100% accurate there's no historical evidence that the loudest fans will ever watch line play and recognize it has far more to do with a team's success than the quality of the quarterback.

Jennings is a pass blocking Tackle who was not a good fit for the offense we're running featuring WMcGahee, and his value to teams running a pass feature offense made him a liability. It's not out of the question that we'll improve on that side of our line with an under the radar player currently on our roster. A running offense doesn't need a marquis LT, it requires a tough working grunt with a serious motor. The loss of Jennings is hardly the silver bullet some publicaitons and fans portray it as.

PWilliams is a completely different story. He remains one of the best run plugs in football with sure hands and feet. Yeah, he's been seeing less time but Ron Edwards is simply a passing down DT- he's never shown the ability to hold his ground against NFL run blocking and additonally he just doesn't tackle well when he does get position. Anderson would have to be a pretty special player to not have the loss of Pat be our major achilles heel this season. If Edwards ends up getting run down duty you shouldn't expect London Fletcher to finish the season, he'll simply get killed. Our defensive outlook rests upon the shoulders of the barely tested Tim Anderson.

So, replacing two of our better players with scrubs is making the team better?

354906[/snapback]

Pat Williams is at the end of his career, meaning we will be better at DT with young and developing Edwards and Anderson there.

JJ was a middle of the road, oft injured LT who was WAY too expensive to keep. I wouldn't be surprised if Gandy fills that spot very competently.

Why is it that every guy we lose is a great player who is absolutely irreplaceable, to the point where we just can't be successful without them?

Why is it that every guy we lose is a great player who is absolutely irreplaceable, to the point where we just can't be successful without them?

355160[/snapback]

That isn't the case at all.

In fact, I've noticed that many of the homers in this thread also defended Bledsoe last year. They're consistent in seeing everything thru rose-colored glasses.

Most of the "pessimists" are just being realists. We're happy when crappy players/coaches (Drew/GW) leave. But spin-doctoring the personnel changes in the trenches this offseason is just fruitless. They're worse on both sides and it's really not even debatable.

I'd also like to point out that the reason Sam Adams made the Pro Bowl last year was because he got benched during Miami game #1 in favor of Ron Edwards.  After that game Adams was an unholy beast to block for the rest of the season because he had to compete for his playing time with Edwards, if he didn't perform he was gonna sit.

Edwards may not be as well known as Williams but don't call him a scrub.  He was just as productive last year and is 6 years younger than Pat.

355024[/snapback]

Adams' best season with us was this past one. Edwards development has been held down due to Adams' presence on the team. Edwards will shine this season, just before he goes to sign with another team as he enters his prime.

JJ was a middle of the road, oft injured LT who was WAY too expensive to keep. I wouldn't be surprised if Gandy fills that spot very competently.

355160[/snapback]

JJ was anything but a "middle of the road" player. He's a notch below top tier in spite of the fact that he is oft injured with minor injuries.

He was too expensive, but that doesn't mean he won't be sorely missed. To say that Gandy, a Chicago of all teams, castoff will "fill that spot very competently" after never even having started all of his seasons or even played T at all is baseless. You haven't a shred of evidence for that statement.

The Sporting News gave the Bills a D+ for the offseason--almost worst in the league.  They cite the loss of Jennings and Williams.

It just goes to show that these football pundits know nothing.  Losman could have a great season, and the Bills are playoff material.  On the other hand, Losman may not have a great, or even a good season, and the Bills are the same or worse than last year.  In other words, it is just too difficult to say.  I am just tired of reading speculation printed as intelligent forecasts.  Let's get on with the damn season.

Here's the link:

Link

354849[/snapback]

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when the Bills traded Peerless Price and let Riemersma and Centers go.

A lot of analysts said the Bills would struggle offensively without those guys. More specifically Price. The usual clowns were here with they're "we're DOOMED" sarcasm and the "haven't they heard of Josh Reed?" gripes. Those analysts were right.

As much as people are wallowing in the demise of Peerless with Atlanta, not having his production overcame all of the defensive additions as the Bills actually managed to sign Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey and Lawyer Milloy and got WORSE in the win column AND the entertainment column.

It's OK to be optimistic, but realistically, the Bills lost a lot more proven talent than they've gained this past offseason, and they weren't a serious contender to begin with. We'd all like to believe that TD is building a winner, but it's clearly a 2 steps forward, 1 step back(and vice-versa) type of project as he searches for, hopefully, the right balance without overspending to build a short-term, counterfeit contender like the late 1990's Bills were. I occasionally rip his moves, but I prefer this model, which is more simialar to the approach of the top teams in the league(Philly/Pitt/NE) than the more recent Titans folly.

JJ was anything but a "middle of the road" player.  He's a notch below top tier in spite of the fact that he is oft injured with minor injuries. 

He was too expensive, but that doesn't mean he won't be sorely missed.  To say that Gandy, a Chicago of all teams, castoff will "fill that spot very competently" after never even having started all of his seasons or even played T at all is baseless.  You haven't a shred of evidence for that statement.

355245[/snapback]

Gandy started 20 games at LT for the Bears, exactly as many as Teague started there for the Broncos. Gandy also started some at guard. Perhaps you should check your facts before lashing out like a pit viper.

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when the Bills traded Peerless Price and let Riemersma and Centers go.

A lot of analysts said the Bills would struggle offensively without those guys.  More specifically Price.  The usual clowns were here with they're "we're DOOMED" sarcasm and the "haven't they heard of Josh Reed?" gripes.  Those analysts were right.

As much as people are wallowing in the demise of Peerless with Atlanta,  not having his production overcame all of the defensive additions as the Bills actually managed to sign Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey and Lawyer Milloy and got WORSE in the win column AND the entertainment column.

It's OK to be optimistic, but realistically, the Bills lost a lot more proven talent than they've gained this past offseason, and they weren't a serious contender to begin with.  We'd all like to believe that TD is building a winner, but it's clearly a 2 steps forward, 1 step back(and vice-versa) type of project as he searches for, hopefully, the right balance without overspending to build a short-term, counterfeit contender like the late 1990's Bills were.  I occasionally rip his moves, but I prefer this model, which is more simialar to the approach of the top teams in the league(Philly/Pitt/NE) than the more recent Titans folly.

355296[/snapback]

This is an excellent take, especially the "counterfeit contender" portion. Once

you understand this philosophy and that TD is really not building a Super Bowl

contender, it is easier to accept.

PWilliams is a completely different story. He remains one of the best run plugs in football with sure hands and feet. Yeah, he's been seeing less time but Ron Edwards is simply a passing down DT- he's never shown the ability to hold his ground against NFL run blocking and additonally he just doesn't tackle well when he does get position. Anderson would have to be a pretty special player to not have the loss of Pat be our major achilles heel this season.

355149[/snapback]

Pat Williams was a UDFA picked by the bills 8 years ago.

Pat Williams is almost at the end of his career.

The NFL is all about Speed....means needs younger players to step up.

You have to put Tim Anderson in position to see if he can contribute.

Teams can't keep paying for all its superstars....it just is not got cap

management....

Pat was looking for the big bucks as this is his last contract and his first

two contracts were reasonably smaller....The bills were looking to manage

their cap....Those two intentions conflicted and we had to part ways...period.

What amazes me that there are fans are so skilled that they are able to rank the success of the off season before the team actually steps on the field. These are the same skilled individuals who can rank a draft without ever seeing the draft choices play.

What talent.

What amazes me that there are fans are so skilled that they are able to rank the success of the off season before the team actually steps on the field. These are the same skilled individuals who can rank a draft without ever seeing the draft choices play.

What talent.

355332[/snapback]

I hear you. I don't know how TD, Modrak, Guy and all the other player personnel guys keep their jobs when there are so many all-seeing, all-knowing experts around.

This is an excellent take, especially the "counterfeit contender" portion.  Once

you understand this philosophy and that TD is really not building a Super Bowl

contender, it is easier to accept.

355314[/snapback]

Actually it's a poor take, because the Titans WERE a Super Bowl team, and WERE a strong playoff contender for several years. They were not a "conterfeit" contender.

And TD seems to be following the same track as Philly and NE. Philly doesn't over pay for vets over 30 (like Williams). NE hasn't used high picks or FAs on the OL, and has let linemen leave (Woody) rather than overpaying them.

Donahoe did make a mistake in not replacing Price's speed in 2003, which was worsened by Moulds missing games due to injury. But he's since corrected that mistake by drafting Evans and Parrish.

By focusing improvement only on the Oline and Dline you miss the point that the Bills will immediately improve by having Evans and McGahee in the starting lineup 16 games. They were 0-5 with these guys on the bench, and 9-2 with them starting.

While the LT position is a concern, I doubt Mularkey is going to have Losman drop back 35 times a game. He'll run McGahee and challenge defenses to single cover Moulds, Evans, and Parrish.

And since the Bills are most likely building the offense around Willis, the Bills have upgraded the run-blocking ability of the line with Gandy and Anderson.

If Losman (or Holcombe) can hit a single-covered receiver, the offense will be better than the one that started the 2004 season.

Actually it's a poor take, because the Titans WERE a Super Bowl team, and WERE a strong playoff contender for several years.  They were not a "conterfeit" contender.

And TD seems to be following the same track as Philly and NE.  Philly doesn't over pay for vets over 30 (like Williams).  NE hasn't used high picks or FAs on the OL, and has let linemen leave (Woody) rather than overpaying them.

Donahoe did make a mistake in not replacing Price's speed in 2003, which was worsened by Moulds missing games due to injury.  But he's since corrected that mistake by drafting Evans and Parrish.

By focusing improvement only on the Oline and Dline you miss the point that the Bills will immediately improve by having Evans and McGahee in the starting lineup 16 games.  They were 0-5 with these guys on the bench, and 9-2 with them starting.

While the LT position is a concern, I doubt Mularkey is going to have Losman drop back 35 times a game.  He'll run McGahee and challenge defenses to single cover Moulds, Evans, and Parrish.

And since the Bills are most likely building the offense around Willis, the Bills have upgraded the run-blocking ability of the line with Gandy and Anderson.

If Losman (or Holcombe) can hit a single-covered receiver, the offense will be better than the one that started the 2004 season.

355351[/snapback]

I never said the Titans were "counterfeit contenders". I was talking about how they attempted to squeeze every last drop out of a tired team at the expense of their cap, when they had a decent nucleus to build upon in guys like McNair and Kearse. People forget that the Titans were a long-time .500 type ball club and underachiever before they made their Super Bowl run. They had a lot of guys on the backside of their careers when they lost to the Ravens in the playoffs in 2000. That was their crossroads and they made the decision to annihilate their cap and they ended up making two playoff appearances sandwiched by 2 losing seasons. Kearse is gone. McNair is talking retirement at a time when he should be just entering his prime because he lacks playmakers or offensive lineman. Jeff Fisher may be out after this season. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh, a team with a simialar approach to the game, but lesser playmakers, takes a step back once in a while and bounds right back to greater success without having to re-build. I'd call Pittsburgh's an organizational approach, rather than a player driven approach.

And I never said Donahoe wasn't trying to build a Super Bowl team. I think he is, but I also think he isn't slow to admit his mistakes(by action, not word) and tries to avoid large-scale long term mistakes like the Titans made. That said, drafting Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish after-the-fact doesn't change the past or make up for it, or whatever you are implying. Donahoe did not adequately stock that 2003 team, offensively. It's easy to draw parallels to that mistake this year, as he once again is relying on a cast tired veterans, underachievers and completely unproven players to fill voids left by two proven producers. Is Mike Gandy this years Bobby Shaw? Who knows, but history says there is a good chance he is.

I characterize the rest of your post as late-offseason oversimplification brought about by detatchmen from real football. How soon we forget how fragile team success is, especially for teams unaccustomed to it. If football were as simple as hitting open receivers or if Lee Evans, Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson and Willis McGahee could have their way with opposing defenses at will, then there would be no reason to play the season. On paper, it would be in the bag. Games aren't played on paper. How can we forget that after the inexplicable defeat to Pittsburgh in the finale last year. Fact of the matter is, most games turn on a couple of plays and everyone is trying to hit open receivers, run the ball, stop the run and pressure the passer.

A lot of analysts said the Bills would struggle offensively without those guys.  More specifically Price.  The usual clowns were here with they're "we're DOOMED" sarcasm and the "haven't they heard of Josh Reed?" gripes.  Those analysts were right.

As much as people are wallowing in the demise of Peerless with Atlanta,  not having his production overcame all of the defensive additions as the Bills actually managed to sign Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey and Lawyer Milloy and got WORSE in the win column AND the entertainment column.

It's OK to be optimistic, but realistically, the Bills lost a lot more proven talent than they've gained this past offseason, and they weren't a serious contender to begin with.  We'd all like to believe that TD is building a winner, but it's clearly a 2 steps forward, 1 step back(and vice-versa) type of project as he searches for, hopefully, the right balance without overspending to build a short-term, counterfeit contender like the late 1990's Bills were.  I occasionally rip his moves, but I prefer this model, which is more simialar to the approach of the top teams in the league(Philly/Pitt/NE) than the more recent Titans folly.

355296[/snapback]

Good post - I agree with everything except....

Peerless wasn't more valuable than those defensive additions, despite our superior record in '02 compared to '03. I think it's safe to say that our offensive production in the 1st half of 2002 was a fluke. Bledsoe was temporarily rejuvinated, and it took defenses a few games to figure out the blueprint for stopping Gilbride's stubborn gameplans. How else do you explain the offense tanking the 2nd half of the season, and Bledsoe/Price sucking ever since?

As Krazykat said though - the fact that JJ & PW may have been overpaid doesn't mean that their replacements are going to be as good. These comments about PW being too old are a bit absurd. If we had kept him and cut Sam Adams, they would be saying just the opposite.