Defying A Congressional Subpoena: Does It Matter?

BillsFanNC

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is wondering how contempt generally works in the House:

A committee subpoenas someone to testify. They refuse. The committee then votes to send a finding of contempt to the floor. The entire House votes on the contempt motion. If it succeeds, the House refers it to the DoJ. 

Both Bannon and Navarro (as well as Dan Scavino and I think at least one other person) refused to testify to the Jan 6 committee. The committee voted to hold them in contempt and sent it to the whole House. The House then voted to refer the charges to the DoJ who filed charges against Bannon and Navarro (but notably not against everybody who was referred).

Hunter Biden refused a subpoena to testify so the House committee voted to hold him in contempt. Before a floor vote was scheduled, Hunter re-engaged the committee to negotiate his appearance. They held off on sending the contempt motion to the floor and were able to get Hunter to come in and testify, negating the need to hold the floor vote. 

It’s not some biased deep state thing. Hunter just decided to eventually do the smart thing at the last minute and testify before the entire House could hold him in contempt. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

In case anyone is wondering how contempt generally works in the House:

A committee subpoenas someone to testify. They refuse. The committee then votes to send a finding of contempt to the floor. The entire House votes on the contempt motion. If it succeeds, the House refers it to the DoJ. 

Both Bannon and Navarro (as well as Dan Scavino and I think at least one other person) refused to testify to the Jan 6 committee. The committee voted to hold them in contempt and sent it to the whole House. The House then voted to refer the charges to the DoJ who filed charges against Bannon and Navarro (but notably not against everybody who was referred).

Hunter Biden refused a subpoena to testify so the House committee voted to hold him in contempt. Before a floor vote was scheduled, Hunter re-engaged the committee to negotiate his appearance. They held off on sending the contempt motion to the floor and were able to get Hunter to come in and testify, negating the need to hold the floor vote. 

It’s not some biased deep state thing. Hunter just decided to eventually do the smart thing at the last minute and testify before the entire House could hold him in contempt. 

How contempt "generally works"? You're kidding right?

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

How contempt "generally works"? You're kidding right?

That’s what happened. If you think that Hunter should be prosecuted for contempt, you should be mad at the GOP for not holding a floor vote on sending the contempt motion to the DoJ. 

Here's how contempt definitely works currently in DC outside of the King's clown world.

Republican? You might face consequences. 

Democrat? You will never face consequences. 

If Hunter Biden should be prosecuted for Criminal Contempt of Congress, why didn’t the GOP-led House vote to hold him in contempt and refer him to the DoJ?

If the DoJ is just doing the bidding of the Dems, why did it reject their referrals for Dan Scavino and Mark Meadows?

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

If Hunter Biden should be prosecuted for Criminal Contempt of Congress, why didn’t the GOP-led House vote to hold him in contempt and refer him to the DoJ?

If the DoJ is just doing the bidding of the Dems, why did it reject their referrals for Dan Scavino and Mark Meadows?

He's been rage posting today at a spectacular rate.  Something's got his tinfoil hat askew.   He may be coming to the realization his hero is primed for another loss.  

17 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

He's been rage posting today at a spectacular rate.  Something's got his tinfoil hat askew.   He may be coming to the realization his hero is primed for another loss.  

I feel bad for him. Last I checked his profile, it was almost entirely the insane ratings that, if a loved one was doing it, you’d check in on them to see if they were ok. 

Half the time I check into this page, most of the top topics have him as the last poster. He must be spending an awful lot of time here. I imagine he’s probably pretty lonely. 

33 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Here's how contempt definitely works currently in DC outside of the King's clown world.

Republican? You might face consequences. 

Democrat? You will never face consequences. 

Wa wa wa

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I feel bad for him. Last I checked his profile, it was almost entirely the insane ratings that, if a loved one was doing it, you’d check in on them to see if they were ok. 

Half the time I check into this page, most of the top topics have him as the last poster. He must be spending an awful lot of time here. I imagine he’s probably pretty lonely. 

He posts nothing but bull *****.

52 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

That’s what happened. If you think that Hunter should be prosecuted for contempt, you should be mad at the GOP for not holding a floor vote on sending the contempt motion to the DoJ. 

Biden's are above the law

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Yeah you know "somethings up" when he posted last to 6 topics in a row.  All rage filled nonsense or  Woe is me, everything is unfair crying.  I thought libs had the whiners?  

12 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah you know "somethings up" when he posted last to 6 topics in a row.  All rage filled nonsense or  Woe is me, everything is unfair crying.  I thought libs had the whiners?  

sheesh, quit your whining already!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

sheesh, quit your whining already!

Again, there's no greater confirmation that I'm dead right than having communists like the King, Lron or 4tn saying that I'm wrong.

Love. It.

:thumbsup: