Did "The McDermott Problem" Backfire? Or Work to Perfection.

theRalph

On 12/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, theRalph said:

Tyler Dunne is a Bills fan. Did his 20,000 word screed just cement the Bills tighter than any team in the league? 

I don’t think it had any effect. Like always, the team placed themselves into a position where 1 freak play decided the game. Just like the PHI or DEN games. Luckily, this one went in our favor. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t think it had any effect. Like always, the team placed themselves into a position where 1 freak play decided the game. Just like the PHI or DEN games. Luckily, this one went in our favor. 

Fans will never cease to amaze me with these "fan narratives" that having nothing to do with playing sports.

It's all just a projection of basic human psychology.

The Bills didn't win because the entire team was better motivated and gave an extra 10% effort or whatever this guy is implying....for F's sake.

Just really stupid stuff.

This is insane. Look at these stats. this team, the players are all time record setters. The players are playing lights out. Look at that three year point differential. Our lack of success in the post season comes down to the coach. Fine they win out and make the playoffs and maybe do some damage, still need to look at McDermott as the element holding this team back. 
GBZvrL8X0AArsFI.jpg

On 12/11/2023 at 10:07 AM, Beck Water said:

Could fool me.

I think first and foremost, Tyler Dunne is a businessman trying to make a living as an enterpreneur selling subscriptions to his blog

I think he acted in his interests as a businessman first and foremost

Agreed...this wasn't journalism of a breaking story, this was an opinion piece lacking of actual journalistic integrity with an agenda to confirm a pre-existing opinion.

Dunne sets the tone with this right out the gate citing he doesn't have credentials from the Bills and establishes the type of tone he is out for.  He then ONLY discusses the topic with potentially disgruntled former players or employees and tries to hide behind that fact by playing the victim of not being credentialed.  

Two things were clear in this full article:  

1. He started from a pre-existing position and then went out to validate that position rather than do a balanced article.
  2. The goal here was not of journalistic nature, but instead to create controversy to gain traffic.  

None of this means that McD is perfect or that nothing in the article was true.  But it was crystal clear he was out for confirmation bias on his pre-existing position and to sell clicks and traffic to his site.  His article reads more of a scorned or jealous ex girlfriend than a true journalistic piece with opposing view points.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.