Ed Oliver play in the last game?

John from Riverside

Yes and I thought he played quite well. The d-line was getting really good push and shut down the Cinci run game. 

Ed finished the game with 7 hurries and 2 tackles and 1 stop.

I was also impressed that Linval Joseph came off the couch and played 42% of the snaps.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I totally might’ve missed it, but I was looking for his number. I wanted to see how productive he would be with a one tech next to him. They could actually play the position.

It seemed to me that Ed played the vast majority of the game with Jordan Phillips beside him (who I thought had a terrible night), while Linval Joseph got most of his snaps rotating in with the "2nd" unit.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

It seemed to me that Ed played the vast majority of the game with Jordan Phillips beside him (who I thought had a terrible night), while Linval Joseph got most of his snaps rotating in with the "2nd" unit.

There was some situational use that drove me crazy. A couple of third and shorts where I noticed JP was in and Oliver was on the sideline. Off the top of my head there was a 3rd and short near the goal line that I was screaming at my TV and ended up being a TD. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

There was some situational use that drove me crazy. A couple of third and shorts where I noticed JP was in and Oliver was on the sideline. Off the top of my head there was a 3rd and short near the goal line that I was screaming at my TV and ended up being a TD. 

I even saw Kingsley Jonathan on the field in a goal to go situation. Kingsley Jonathan, the sixth DE in the rotation, practice squad type.
Are we trying to throw these games?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i almost wish there was a way we could make a hybrid 3 man front defense with him playing a psuedo quasi DE in the G/T gap (3/4) on our weakside. putting Rosseauor  lawson on the strong side for runs (5-6), joseph at 0/1 gap.

we don't have the speed to play a 9 positionat the moment. AJE has flashes, Miller is ??, and Rosseau is hit or miss right now.

phillips isn't getting it done and can actually function decently at a wide tackle position so long as someone is there to clean up and contain betetr.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I remember that as well, I think they had Settle and Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I totally might’ve missed it, but I was looking for his number. I wanted to see how productive he would be with a one tech next to him. They could actually play the position.

As Thurman said, 64% snaps. 

45 in all

1 solo, 1 combined tackle  

Need more from him.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought Oliver was taking the next step but he always disappears in big spots. Like all the d linemen. We don’t have any special ones. One game wrecker would transform this defense.

Few guys in the NFL who are absolute game wreckers in the middle of defensive lines. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought Oliver was taking the next step but he always disappears in big spots. Like all the d linemen. We don’t have any special ones. One game wrecker would transform this defense.

You can say that about any team in the NFL that doesn't have one.

It's like saying 'a great QB would really transform this offense'

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yes and I thought he played quite well. The d-line was getting really good push and shut down the Cinci run game. 

I was also impressed that Linval Joseph came off the couch and played 42% of the snaps.

Watching the game I would never think Ed did that well at pressuring the QB, he was invisible in game play which not what you want from a player of his caliber, as to me the OP was referencing that. 

Edited by The Jokeman

33 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Is it though? Pittsburgh has multiple guys. So does bAltimore. The pats even had multiple guys.

this team has spent high round picks on d linemen. They have maybe invested as much as any team in draft/ FA capital. This group should be way better than it is. They have their moments, don’t get me wrong, but it’s so inconsistent. To not get one elite guy out of multiple 2st, 2nd round picks and high price free agents is very upsetting.

I've generally been a McD supporter, but I agree that the rotation is bothersome.  In crucial situations, I want to see our best players on the field.  Too often, on a key play, I see the guys whose spot in the rotation has come up, on the field, rather than the best players.  It just doesn't seem like a smart way to approach things.  I also realize that the injuries have really hurt this defense - they were playing lights-out beforehand - but, a coach needs to properly utilize the guys that are available.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is it though? Pittsburgh has multiple guys. So does bAltimore. The pats even had multiple guys.

this team has spent high round picks on d linemen. They have maybe invested as much as any team in draft/ FA capital. This group should be way better than it is. They have their moments, don’t get me wrong, but it’s so inconsistent. To not get one elite guy out of multiple 2st, 2nd round picks and high price free agents is very upsetting.

That's not what you said. You said "an elite edge rusher would transform our defense" 

All I'm saying is, that's as obvious as saying "An elite QB would translate an offense." There just aren't many and they are hard to find. I obviously agree with you but the statement is the same for every team in the NFL if you don't have one. 

23 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm a huge fan of Jordan Phillips and love the energy he brings but he's been strait up terrible this year

• Agree 2

On 11/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, Einstein said:

For all of the injuries the D has had to over come they could be a lot worse & with the additions once they start to jell a bit i think they will be a bit better not say where they would be if Millano & Jones were still playing but better .

Offense just can't get it done they need to score more to make up the difference & help the D out a bit . There were opportunities for the offense to get points just bad reads took them away .

On 11/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Said every bills fan for the last 4 friggin years 😪... even more frustrating is they seemed to have found one last year(at least in the short term) and it went up in a cloud of smoke via non contact injury.

23 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Might not be as frustrating if it hadnt been made such an obvious yearly priority by this FO..... and here we sit however many years into this deal still looking.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes, but he has had to play out of position for much of the year. He is a much better 3 tech than a 1 tech. 

you would think as much draft and FA capital as we spent on the DL that we would have adequate backups at each position.  Oh well!

On 11/8/2023 at 9:57 AM, Simon said:

At least Phillips is consistent 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:00 PM, BBFL said:

Few guys in the NFL who are absolute game wreckers in the middle of defensive lines. 

We kind of have one in Jones. Get him healthy and resigned!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.