Some All-22 Observations from Cinci

Einstein

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This issue happens way too frequently with us. I don't get it. I don't see other offenses regularly throw the ball to nobody because the WR and the QB didn't read the play the same way. With us it's at least once a game, sometimes more. I don't exclusively blame Dorsey because I had the same complaint when Daboll was our OC. I wonder if we are over relying on these option routes in our scheme? Or is the coaching not preparing the players properly to read these plays? With all the other issues our offense has, that issue in particular feels very annoying because it should be an easy fix and we're instead going on year 4 of the same problem.

It’s definitely not something that just happens over night in fairness. That’s why our young guys don’t see the field so much early on. It takes a high volume of reps to get it down but even then it can be tough at times. Deep Choice is a fantastic concept and it’s hard as hell to defend, but it does take a while to perfect.

If you want to know more about it research what Art Briles did with Baylor offensively. It was all based around Deep Choice.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

It’s definitely not something that just happens over night in fairness.

For sure, but when players like Diggs and Davis are making these mistakes fairly regularly, that tells me it is an issue beyond time on task. I don't think other NFL offenses rely on those so much, right? Or if they do I rarely see cases where the QB and pass catcher are not on the same page. I don't know what the fix is here, it's just bothered me for several years now.

I've been very impressed with Kincaid in this regard though. I don't have a good enough eye for football to tell if he is running a lot of choice routes, but in general I notice that he has an innate feel for how to work open based on the leverage and spacing of the defenders in his area.

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For sure, but when players like Diggs and Davis are making these mistakes fairly regularly, that tells me it is an issue beyond time on task. I don't think other NFL offenses rely on those so much, right? Or if they do I rarely see cases where the QB and pass catcher are not on the same page. I don't know what the fix is here, it's just bothered me for several years now.

I've been very impressed with Kincaid in this regard though. I don't have a good enough eye for football to tell if he is running a lot of choice routes, but in general I notice that he has an innate feel for how to work open based on the leverage and spacing of the defenders in his area.

I wouldn’t say regularly. Most teams run route conversions. It seems like a similar clip of miscommunication from most teams. Sometimes there’s grey area and in those situations you have to be on the same page. Allen’s deal is if he doesn’t know for sure he just needs to move on.

Kincaid has some - not a ton.

On 11/7/2023 at 1:19 PM, Simon said:

There's a safety over the top that is just outside the edge of this photo.

It was a stare-down with a bonus double clutch, to a covered receiver in a vertical bracket with no window.

That ball was doomed before it even left his hand.

It looked like he pumped it to Diggs underneath and then reloaded and didn't get enough zip on the throw to Davis to fit it in the window. 

I don't know if that was by design, or on Josh, but given the risk of that throw, you'd like to see Josh commit and step into it.  I'm putting that on him.  He's done that a few times, targeting Davis.

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

'm sure you've seen it, but watch the endzone view of the ALL-22 and he is not even seeing/looking the dump down option. He is keeping his eyes downfield.

I wonder in this game plan for this third Cincy game if the coaches surmised that what they did previously just wasn’t going to work against Cincy?  Therefore, they made adjustments from their tendencies that were on film to outsmart them.  Maybe they determined that high risk plays were our only option.  Dorsey gets a lot of flack for game planning, but his plan goes up in smoke when execution is abysmal.  The game plan always looks great when we pick up a W.  To me the back breaker was the 2-3 times that their QB ran for 1st downs.  

There is a post here that is about the offense & every play there are players open Josh is just not seeing them or locked on to one route he may feel there pressure to make a throw to soon . So why don't they incorporate more boot legs & such to give him more time to read the field & see those that take more time to come open ? 

This offense has the weapons to get the job done we have seen it with our own eyes i just can't for the life of me given that they have the tape of the things that worked really well & then those that didn't why don't they use more of the things that did work from past offensive concepts ?

Every game doesn't need to have a completely different scheme for that one team if it works don't fix it or make it better go with it .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.