demise of Football Outsiders

dave mcbride

I was somehow unaware of this. It collapsed in July 2023 and it involves a bad (and badly run) new owner (Champion Gaming, based in Toronto) that didn't pay staff:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/football-outsiders-aaron-schatz-champion-gaming.html. All of the people who started the site 20 years ago left, including founder Aaron Schatz.  Too bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, dave mcbride said:

I was somehow unaware of this. It collapsed in July 2023 and it involves a bad (and badly run) new owner (Champion Gaming, based in Toronto) that didn't pay staff:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/football-outsiders-aaron-schatz-champion-gaming.html. All of the people who started the site 20 years ago left, including founder Aaron Schatz.  Too bad.

Wow, that's a bummer.  I remember when they started, they were the only decent stats/data site back then.  

That and pro-football-reference were my two favorite sites, this one primarily for basis data.  pro-football-references started around the same time but wasn't nearly as developed back then as it is today.  

FO, besides DVOA etc., also had some cool stats that in former years were difficult if not impossible to come by, like average starting field-position for one.  

Ah well, things run their course, Schatz did great work.  Props to him for starting it up before anyone knew what [football] metrics were.  Curious to see where he lands.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.