Interesting Buffalo News article on Dawkins

Toledo Bill

25 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, it's not such a big difference.  Both guys are abusing their bodies.  

The offensive lineman I heard was talking about eating 6000 calories a day for months in order to maintain his playing weight.  He said for his entire playing career, he couldn't roll around on the floor with his kids because he had no flexibility, and because all of his joints ached from carrying the weight.  

I'm not defending Dawkins, at all.  I'm disappointed he didn't have the discipline the modern game requires.  I'm just saying that it's naive to think that guys going on crash diets are the only guys abusing their bodies in the NFL.   A lot of them are, from their brains to their toes. 

" couldn't roll around on the floor with his kids because he had no flexibility, and because all of his joints ached from carrying the weight. "  WOW

Agree both extremes are not healthy. I don't think Dawkins will last very long in the NFL if he continues his off season antics. IMO

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

" couldn't roll around on the floor with his kids because he had no flexibility, and because all of his joints ached from carrying the weight. "  WOW

Agree both extremes are not healthy. I don't think Dawkins will last very long in the NFL if he continues his off season antics. IMO

He may not be long for the Bills. Notice how Dawkins hasn’t received any restructures or extensions. I think the Bills would like to get better at that position, but have had too many other holes elsewhere to replace what has been a mostly above average LT.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:45 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

64c977805ba5a.image.jpg?resize=1200,843

Mark Gaughan: Dion Dawkins feels fit, trim, and he's ready to make Bills' haters eat their words

Dawkins had lost 40 pounds earlier in the offseason. He has been strictly following an eating regimen laid out by the team for the past six months, since the start of March. He’s in great shape and ready for the start of his seventh season.

He gained an added 40 pounds from his 330-pound playing weight during late January and February.

“I was like 370 by the start of March,” Dawkins said. “I was kinda binging as comfort. Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner. It caught up quick.”

Dawkins met with Will Greenberg, the Bills’ assistant strength and conditioning coach and performance development coach.

“I started drinking a ton of water,” Dawkins said. “I would drink 100 ounces of water before I would eat anything, before I would put any food into my body. Every day. Then I was doing two Chipotle salads a day, like 600 to 800 calories a day. That’s it. If I needed a pick-me-up, I’d have a protein bar for 200 calories.”

Add optional ecoli to that chipotle salad for extra help with the weight loss regimen 

18 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Doesn't work hard compared to who? Me? Sure.  Other OL? No f'n way. There's proli 3 tackles on Buffalo that are hungrier to push their play than him.

Twist it anywsy you want. This is not the work of an OL trying to take the next step.  I don't care if he was #1 in the league, let alone middle of the pack....

U think Trent Williams, bakhtiari, lane j, tonsil etc etc etc are crash dieting when they should be getting their strength up? They aren't 

Strength is pretty scientific. If you aren't eating right (and especially if you're in a giant deficit) you're getting weaker... in a league on the razors edge of top performance.

Nutrition + proper weights = strength

Take one or both of those out and it doesn't balance out. There's no room for opinion on this, you're anabolic or catabolic.

Spend 4months catabolic and in a nitrogen deficit, you're going to be weaker.

(Not to mention the opportunity lost of running 4mos anabolic, its a 2pt swing here)

Cardio and strength are the pillars of OL play, and both spent a third of the year in the dumpster. Polar opposite of taking the next step.

Find me a strength coach/powerlifter who goes catabolic for 4mos and I'll show you someone at the bottom of his sport.

------------------------------------------------------------

Theres are the numbers Dion needs to be at:

Based on his own admission of 600-800cals, 2x's per day..... he's eating at 62% calorie deficit for 4months LOL

Muscle tissue is being dissolved like Arnold lowered into the steam mill at the end of Terminator2

That's infuriating. I can't imagine how angry the staff was. 

image.png.4fa4f399bab4e403c795abe6babc2c6e.png

You obviously can’t read, the article said he lost the weight in 5 weeks. Then they put him on a more conventional diet. 

so let’s break this down. what is everyone freaking out about? an offensive lineman put on some weight, probably comparable to about 15 pounds for me and you. Lost it in 5 weeks, don’ spent the rest of the off-season, approximately 5 months getting ready for the season! We are freaking out over a guy who showed up to training camp in shape for the season!! Because that is the reality of the situation. 

now I’m not arguing he is the best left tackle in football. sure the bills can do better and maybe they will, when they have the cap space. 

but at this point he is out left tackle and if anybody read the rest of the article I am expecting a great season from him based on what he said. 

after all, all the info we have on this subject came from this article. everyone choose to focus on the negative, not unexpected on here, but if you actually read the whole article he said he knows he needs to be all pro, not just pro bowl. With him knowing that I would expect he put in the work over the last 5 months to achieve that goal. 

i personally don’t care if guys spend the first 6 weeks or so of the off season getting away from football and all that goes with it to get a mental and physical break. Get your mind right and get back at it.

Considering we are all bills fans, I think, all we can do is root for him

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I have been thinking the past few years that Dion had lost a step and that was because of added weight.

He is still a very good LT, but was struggling to get to where he needed to be and getting beat by speed rushes able to bend around him at the top of their rush.

I am glad he is trying to take steps to maintain a better playing weight.

The team and Allen needs him to be that dominant LT he is very capable of being.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.