What’s are the planks of the right wing’s platform?

6 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Explains so much. From the lawfare against his opposition,immigration,  to feeding the fire of war all over the globe. 

“If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t”    So many polls for Obama.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Hidden behind all the silly "it's TDS" comments is the actual policy changes being cooked up by people and groups waiting to pounce in a new Trump presidency.

And so far, this is one of the scariest - Trump with a say in monetary policy.

Say what you want about the Fed, but having an independent central bank has been one of the most critical factors in sustained economic growth, and as a preventative against political manipulation of the currency. 

It is an awful, stupid, dangerous idea. And it's in play if Trump wins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hidden behind all the silly "it's TDS" comments is the actual policy changes being cooked up by people and groups waiting to pounce in a new Trump presidency.

And so far, this is one of the scariest - Trump with a say in monetary policy.

Say what you want about the Fed, but having an independent central bank has been one of the most critical factors in sustained economic growth, and as a preventative against political manipulation of the currency. 

It is an awful, stupid, dangerous idea. And it's in play if Trump wins.

The Fed doesn't talk with the current regime today before it makes monetary policy decisions?  I find that very hard to believe.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

The Fed doesn't talk with the current regime today before it makes monetary policy decisions?  I find that very hard to believe.

Here's a good interview with Paul Volcker about presidents and the Fed:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/business/dealbook/paul-volcker-federal-reserve.html

while President Trump has complained in recent months about the Fed’s plan to raise interest rates, he isn’t the first to try to influence the independent Federal Reserve. Mr. Volcker recounts being summoned to meet with President Ronald Reagan and his chief of staff, James Baker, in the president’s library next to the Oval Office in 1984.

Reagan “didn’t say a word,” Mr. Volcker wrote. “Instead Baker delivered a message: ‘The president is ordering you not to raise interest rates before the election.’” Mr. Volcker wasn’t planning to raise rates at the time.

“I was stunned,” he wrote. “I later surmised that the library location had been chosen because, unlike the Oval Office, it probably lacked a taping system.”

So it happens, and I don't know if anything forbids it. But making some kind of consultation mandatory nevertheless impacts the independence of the Fed in a way that isn't good for stability.

• Like (+1) 2