Oliver Anthony - Rich Men North Of Richmond

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yes, in the clip i 1st had he replaced Vauxhall with Knoxville.  This is one of my fav songs.  Another poet/artist/great guitar player is Darrell Scott.  I love Del tho.  Always looks like a funeral director but a genuinely nice man and a legend in Bluegrass.  It looks to me like he's pleased Billy Strings is picking up the reins.  Living in Bluegrass country I'm amazed at the God given talent.  There's a guitar contest for kids and adults alike in a state park once a year.  Winner gets a handmade Wayne Henderson (clapton waited 3 years for one of his flattops).  So damn much natural talent, and I'm stuck on fingerpicking "Freight Train" left handed with mistakes..

"interesting commentary.  I don't see this snowballing.  Just not enough creative talent in the recent examples to sustain it"

So which one is it.

kinda went full circle.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I hear UPS drivers are getting 100k

True.

And under the new collective bargaining agreement, you can't start as a driver. You start in the warehouse sorting packages. Then, you know, work your way up. And if you show up on time, sober, and ready to work, you get promoted to driver. 

Or you can drop out of school at 17, work sporadically for a bit, start drinking to excess, buy a nice guitar, and turn your failure to launch into a kind of 2023 stardom by blaming someone else. Your choice. It's a free country.

5 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

"interesting commentary.  I don't see this snowballing.  Just not enough creative talent in the recent examples to sustain it"

So which one is it.

kinda went full circle.

Not that complicated. He's saying (and I agree) that Oliver Anthony seems like a man of modest talent, not nearly as accomplished as many of the great bluegrass pickers or even many of the undiscovered amateurs. That's fine. A lot of our highest paid acts are far from the best musicians or songwriters. But his Rich Men is pretty unremarkable as a song and as a performance. It wouldn't be a hit if it didn't say the things certain people want to hear.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True.

er the new collective bargaining agreement, you can't start as a driver. You start in the warehouse sorting packages. Then, you know, work your way up. And if you show up on time, sober, and ready to work, you get promoted to driver. 

Or you can drop out of school at 17, work sporadically for a bit, start drinking to excess, buy a nice guitar, and turn your failure to launch into a kind of 2023 stardom by blaming someone else. Your choice. It's a free country.

TV, Movies, write a book, half of internet influencers.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/wealth/12-high-school-dropouts-millionaires-now/

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/a-tale-of-10-dropouts-famous-authors-who-left-school-at-an-early-age/262633/

https://www.vlogfund.com/en/blog/10-youtubers-dropped-college-high-school/#:~:text=15 YouTubers Who Dropped Out Of College or,Faze Rug ... 6 6) Gabriel Conte

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Tell me that you don't understand the situation with what conservatives think better than a Billstime post.

It can't be done.

He misinterprets the right's points consistently.

😆

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Tell me that you don't understand the situation with what conservatives think better than a Billstime post.

It can't be done.

He misinterprets the right's points consistently.

😆

Admit it Bonnie - Olie is just not that into you.

Can you blame him?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

The GOP and the money behind them are no different than the DNC and the money behind them.

way to miss the heck out of the entire narrative.

Exactly.  Same team.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

Good for them. You never hear about the 99% who wind up like the pre-Rich Men Oliver Anthony.

I don't criticize him for following his passion! It's a choice.

I only criticize him if his lyrics (which seem to be based on his personal experiences) suggest that someone else was to blame for his dreams not coming true for a dozen years. He persevered, he hit it big. Most give up or keep trying, working in bars and restaurants while they keep trying to land their big break. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

The GOP and the money behind them are no different than the DNC and the money behind them.

way to miss the heck out of the entire narrative.

Get a new hero - this one likes diversity and hates that his song was PARROTED with the cult.

You guys have serious separation anxiety.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Good for them. You never hear about the 99% who wind up like the pre-Rich Men Oliver Anthony.

I don't criticize him for following his passion! It's a choice.

I only criticize him if his lyrics (which seem to be based on his personal experiences) suggest that someone else was to blame for his dreams not coming true for a dozen years. He persevered, he hit it big. Most give up or keep trying, working in bars and restaurants while they keep trying to land their big break. 

Most non corporate musicians and artist base their work on their own experiences. 

Sleeping on the blacktop is a great song.  but not my experience.

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Get a new hero - this one likes diversity and hates that his song was PARROTED with the cult.

You guys have serious separation anxiety.

you like to call others what you are.

Just now, Chris farley said:

and you lack the self awareness to even grasp it.

Do not talk to us about self awareness - you get upstaged by Conald everyday. Thats why you spend every day here eye rolling and bringing absolutely nothing to the conversation. 

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Yes, the American dream still lives.  Odds much worse without a degree but certainly possible.

Tell that to all the workers stuck with insane college debt still trying to find a job that can make enough so the disposable income payback amount is actually the minimum payment.  

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Tell that to all the workers stuck with insane college debt still trying to find a job that can make enough so the disposable income payback amount is actually the minimum payment.  

Data dude.  Not bs

https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2023/data-on-display/education-pays.htm

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

You mean Trumps tax cuts didn’t trickle down?

NO FN WAY

image.thumb.jpeg.39dbb07dda00f90450cf6398662c6a00.jpeg

Talk about lack of self awareness - you step in 💩 even w your eyes open - lmao

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

Most non corporate musicians and artist base their work on their own experiences. 

Sleeping on the blacktop is a great song.  but not my experience.

Here's a whiny "millennials have it so hard!" story from the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/07/11/style/economic-anxiety-millennials.html

A quick summary of the first ten.

1. 35 year old "podcaster and theatrical sound designer" struggling, finally able to find her own apartment. 

2. 35 year old who works in a "luxury car dealership" struggling with 60K in student loans and attorney's fees from child custody/divorce proceedings.

3. 30 year old "actor and producer" makes about 2K per month as a waiter.

4. 35 year old "watchmaker" didn't go to college, now makes about 70K a year, working hard to start his own business, no kids, says he delayed family to get his career going.

5. 38 and 33 year old couple, both with graduate degrees, one is a research scientist, one works for the State of Utah. Lived with family to save money, now have their own apartment, saving up for a house.

6. 33 year old "producer and director for a branded content studio" (?) has paid off student loans, just bought a house in upstate NY. No family of his own yet.

7. 26 year old working in a clothing store for $16.50/hour. No mention of higher education or family.

8. 33 year old former teacher, now working at a bank. Says he was underpaid as a teacher.

9. 32 year old, signed up for the military at 20, injured, now out and has a successful business and disability VA payments.

10. 35 year old "comedian and substitute teacher" paying $1000/month for a "tiny room" in NYC

Look at what we have.

- 1, 3, and 10 are "following their dreams" and struggling mightily. Urban democratic Oliver Anthony's if you will.

- 4, 5, 6, 9 delayed gratification. Family/kids will wait till a career is established. Either lots of education of tons of hard work/military service getting established.

- 2 is off to a very rough start. College/loans without a marketable degree. Kids/divorce way too soon.

- 7 just seems to have no life plan at all

- I do feel sorry for 8, since I think teachers are grossly underpaid.

Hard work, delayed gratification = success

"Follow your dreams" regardless of the odds typically = failure

Having no plan at all = failure

I see nothing in these stories that would show millennials are in any different situation than any other generation.

• Eyeroll 1