NHL lockout near a end

Dante

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, my first stop in the morning is here, so I have not researched this yet. However, on PTI last night, there was a quick mention of the players  investigating starting their own league. Anybody else hear this?

349485[/snapback]

There is some proposal floating around from Rudy Guliani about getting together $5 billion to start a rival league. If you ask me, they'd be better off flushing $5 billion down the toilet....nobody is going to pay $50 a ticket to watch the Buffalo Ice Princesses or the Toronto Pink Ponies. Pro sports are all about brand recognition, and there is no way a rival league can make in the billions without the Maple Leafs, Rangers, Red Wings, etc.

me too.  people who diss hockey have either never watched or played.  I've never "gotten into" an NFL playoff game featuring one of the other 31 teams.  Never in my life!  Whether it be the sabres (my team) or any other team, i'm on the edge of my seat, on the verge of a seizure while i watch an NHL playoff game.  There's just something different that can't be explained to someone who hasn't experienced it.  I can't wait for the team to get back on the ice.  I won't blame miroslav satan or brian campbell or zhitnik (still a UFA, mind you).  Buttman and gootenow (sp?) better not show up for a game anytime soon.

349395[/snapback]

Shouldnt you be moving :lol:

but i agree...this spring i have really missed the NHL playoffs...i've been so used to having the hockey playoffs every night, from april-june, even if only in the background, that something has been missing with then not on...bring back hockey, i love it!

Okay, my first stop in the morning is here, so I have not researched this yet. However, on PTI last night, there was a quick mention of the players  investigating starting their own league. Anybody else hear this?

Easier said than done. If it were easy, every group of players in every sport would have tried it.

Easier said than done.  If it were easy, every group of players in every sport would have tried it.

349535[/snapback]

It is far easier said than done, but you have to agree that the current situation with the NHL is a unique one which makes competing with this existing league a whole lot different than trying to lauch a USFL to take on the NFL.

Having sat out a whole season, the potential for finding a TV contract if you have a product, finding unused arenas if you have a product, finding qualified game officials if you have a product etcetera is really the case. The pressure point is that it ain't easy at all to create a product.

However, with a ton of players lose in the marketplace, if folks organize the capital to produce a product there are larger sources of capital out there in the TV markets looking for product to use to sell advertising and there are miscellaneous entities like munipalities sitting on empty arenas who would be happy to help in the process of providing a venue so they can make nickels selling popcorn and parking.

it aon't easy but the lockout makes it a lot more possible to do than at other times.

It is far easier said than done, but you have to agree that the current situation with the NHL is a unique one which makes competing with this existing league a whole lot different than trying to lauch a USFL to take on the NFL.

Having sat out a whole season, the potential for finding a TV contract if you have a product, finding unused arenas if you have a product, finding qualified game officials if you have a product etcetera is really the case. The pressure point is that it ain't easy at all to create a product.

However, with a ton of players lose in the marketplace, if folks organize the capital to produce a product there are larger sources of capital out there in the TV markets looking for product to use to sell advertising and there are miscellaneous entities like munipalities sitting on empty arenas who would be happy to help in the process of providing a venue so they can make nickels selling popcorn and parking.

it aon't easy but the lockout makes it a lot more possible to do than at other times.

Sure, but it's still incredibly hard.

I watch a lot of minor league hockey. The UHL produces some good hockey (the Komets of Fort Wayne are my favorite of course). I get to a few games a year and I really enjoy it. The NHL however has become a joke. When the GM of my favorite team comes out publicly and says "We have no shot at competing." then why should I bother to watch that trash? Teams going bankrupt in the middle of the season, the current mess, it just adds up.

To the NHL I say thanks but no thanks.

I watch a lot of minor league hockey.  The UHL produces some good hockey (the Komets of Fort Wayne are my favorite of course).  I get to a few games a year and I really enjoy it.  The NHL however has become a joke.  When the GM of my favorite team comes out publicly and says "We have no shot at competing." then why should I bother to watch that trash?  Teams going bankrupt in the middle of the season, the current mess, it just adds up.

349733[/snapback]

UHL may cut it there, but it sucks here in Richmond. No promotions, no special kids nights, nothin!! Took my kids last year, cheapest seats were $10 for them, both under 6, and 12 for me. Add in the beers, popcorn and soda, like a $70 night to watch guys without any shot of getting to the NHL(this year excepted)

UHL may cut it there, but it sucks here in Richmond. No promotions, no special kids nights, nothin!! Took my kids last year, cheapest seats were $10 for them, both under 6, and 12 for me. Add in the beers, popcorn and soda, like a $70 night to watch guys without any shot of getting to the NHL(this year excepted)

349747[/snapback]

Depends on the market really. The Komets always put a good product out and they are good to the fans. They already hold the UHL attendance record for a game when over 10,000 (I believe) showed up to see the Komets win the Colonial Cup in '03.

The NHL just sickens me.

I watch a lot of minor league hockey.  The UHL produces some good hockey (the Komets of Fort Wayne are my favorite of course).  I get to a few games a year and I really enjoy it.  The NHL however has become a joke.  When the GM of my favorite team comes out publicly and says "We have no shot at competing." then why should I bother to watch that trash?  Teams going bankrupt in the middle of the season, the current mess, it just adds up.

349733[/snapback]

Who is your favorite NHL team BF?

I have no problem with labelling Bettman and Goodenow as sideshows, but trying to determine a winner or loser is irrelevant.

A new financial system is needed that allows everyone to ice competitive teams and keep their stars (salary cap / team revenue sharing).

348837[/snapback]

Yes, you Get It . A deal just for the sake of making a deal which ignores these core issues makes the sacrifice of the past season a complete waste, if not a funeral pyre.

I'd rather nix the 2006 season as well if it's the choice between no hockey at all, and hockey with a soft-cap, no revenue sharing and overpaid spoiled Molson-soaked millionaires complaining about how they're borderline indigent.

Depends on the market really.  The Komets always put a good product out and they are good to the fans.  They already hold the UHL attendance record for a game when over 10,000 (I believe) showed up to see the Komets win the Colonial Cup in '03.

The NHL just sickens me.

349761[/snapback]

Should have been clearer. Not really familiar with the UHL as I refuse to go here in Richmond. Sub-Minor league hockey at almost NHL prices. Thats why they average less than 1200 a night here.

I take the kids to the rink where they take skating and stickhandling lessons to watch the house leagues for older kids, and they love that.

Also, go to the Richmond Braves about 10-12 a year, but lot cheaper witrh a lot more promotions

Sure, but it's still incredibly hard.

349716[/snapback]

Yeah, but life is hard. The question for the players if they have enough capital to prime the pump for this is whether it would be harder to do the difficult work of organizing enough players to get the larger capital holders at the networks to throw in or it is harder to deal with Bettman and the occaisional Rigas the owners allow in.

Given their bad feelings about Bettman, the bad businessmen who have overpaid for NHL players who are now looking to get reined in with a salary cap because they lack self-control, and the occaisional involvement of a felon like Rigas and it may be the case that taking the massive opening left by the NHL abandoning (at least for a season) and alienating their customers, starting a new competing league will be a hard thing but an easier hard thing than sticking with the NHL.

As seen by the dealings of Roenick and Pronger organizing the players is no picnic and not assured at all, however the concept of getting replacement owners does solve half the problem.

Should have been clearer. Not really familiar with the UHL as I refuse to go here in Richmond. Sub-Minor league hockey at almost NHL prices. Thats why they average less than 1200 a night here.

I take  the kids to the rink where they take skating and stickhandling lessons to watch the house leagues for older kids, and they love that.

Also, go to the Richmond Braves about 10-12 a year, but lot cheaper witrh a lot more promotions

349798[/snapback]

The prices for the Fort Wayne Komets are not too bad. I didn't manage to go to any games this year but as of '03-04 the prices were only like 8 bucks a game or something like that. They have a lot of promotional nights and the team is always good. They won the cup in 2003 and lost in the Finals this year. I wish the IHL hadn't folded because I liked that league better and the Komets were a legendary franchise in the I.

As for Clements, my favorite NHL team is the Pens. I'd also root for the Sabres if they weren't playing the Pens.

Yeah, but life is hard. The question for the players if they have enough capital to prime the pump for this is whether it would be harder to do the difficult work of organizing enough players to get the larger capital holders at the networks to throw in or it is harder to deal with Bettman and the occaisional Rigas the owners allow in.

Given their bad feelings about Bettman, the bad businessmen who have overpaid for NHL players who are now looking to get reined in with a salary cap because they lack self-control, and the occaisional involvement of a felon like Rigas and it may be the case that taking the massive opening left by the NHL abandoning (at least for a season) and alienating their customers, starting a new competing league will be a hard thing but an easier hard thing than sticking with the NHL.

As seen by the dealings of Roenick and Pronger organizing the players is no picnic and not assured at all, however the concept of getting replacement owners does solve half the problem.

Replacement owners? The ONLY owners I can see of a new league would be the players, but I doubt they can raise the kind of capital they'll need, without looking to outside sources who will want a big chunk of the action and effectively negate the reasons for wanting to start a new league in the FIRST place. Better-off to suck-it-up and go with a league that's already established and ready to go once the ink is dry on a new CBA.

Replacement owners?  The ONLY owners I can see of a new league would be the players, but I doubt they can raise the kind of capital they'll need, without looking to outside sources who will want a big chunk of the action and effectively negate the reasons for wanting to start a new league in the FIRST place.  Better-off to suck-it-up and go with a league that's already established and ready to go once the ink is dry on a new CBA.

349961[/snapback]

I can only imagine how well they'd do given their pedestrian handling of the current situation. Time to put aside the emotion.