NHL lockout near a end

Dante

All they have to do is roll out the old blue and gold and people with go ape sh-t.

348995[/snapback]

Agreed...I'd love to see the old colors and old logo back, but it won't happen this year. I think the people of WNY will come back, beacuse we will have a pretty promising team when it starts back up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll only go to a game if the tickets are $5. There has to be major changes in the game and not just financial. What good is it if they finally agreed on a deal and we get the same old garbage hockey that the NHL has been putting on the ice for the last few years? I'll bet even with a salary cap of $32-$35 million and a whole year wasted, ticket prices do not come down more than a buck or two to "appease" what few fans are left. The league is still going to lose money and nothing will ever change. It's pretty hard for me to get excited about NHL hockey after what they have to done to the game.

And if Bettman's plan goes through on a draft order, then the Sabres will have as good a chance as 5 other teams to have the "best" chance to land Crosby.

349056[/snapback]

Not 100% sure what you mean, but think I heard something about draft order being determined by a lottery of teams out of the playoffs last three years or something. If that is correct, I will lay just about any odds that boy lands with the Rangers one way or tother. Maybe not in the draft, but certainly by holding out and "forcing" a trade both the league and his agent will be happy with, ala Patrick Ewing

Not 100% sure what you mean, but think I heard something about draft order being determined by a lottery of teams out of the playoffs last three years or something. If that is correct, I will lay just about any odds that boy lands with the Rangers one way or tother. Maybe not in the draft, but certainly by holding out and "forcing" a trade both the league and his agent will be happy with, ala Patrick Ewing

349074[/snapback]

Yes, teams that didn't make the playoffs the past 3 years would get the best chance at the #1 overall pick.....6 teams altogether.

I'll only go to a game if the tickets are $5. There has to be major changes in the game and not just financial. What good is it if they finally agreed on a deal and we get the same old garbage hockey that the NHL has been putting on the ice for the last few years? I'll bet even with a salary cap of $32-$35 million and a whole year wasted, ticket prices do not come down more than a buck or two to "appease" what few fans are left. The league is still going to lose money and nothing will ever change. It's pretty hard for me to get excited about NHL hockey after what they have to done to the game.

349066[/snapback]

Agreed! Once a CBA is signed, the players are making $$$, the owners make $$$, and if tickets go from say $55 to $50................so what I'm staying home. If hockey is out a year, there has to be something in it for me too or forget it. In the last year I found new ways to spend $$$ I used to spend on hockey, and I found new things to do too

Fair enough, but the question is why if the key to this was players understanding the true financial situation and realities of the league, why were the teams unable to open their books and share the financial situation with the NHLPA before now to get them to operate within this reality.

348855[/snapback]

I totally agree with the rest of your comment. However, the teams have made their books available - I remember our owners in Calgary complaining last fall that the players REFUSED to look at the financials - apparently the NHLPA position was that the books were "cooked" so the information would be worthless. Of course the same "cooked" books were used to sumbit corporate taxes, so the players were accusing the owners of tax fraud, but that didn't matter.

I think Goodenow knew that the league was sick and has been sick for a long time, surviving on expansion fees for the last decade. Goodenow did not want to partner with the league, he preferred to milk the cow as long as he could.

How does Rigas fit into this, Faux Fat Sunny?

Hasek demanded a trade and Peca sat out a season.  Where is there a connection to a new CBA with Rigas robbing Peter to pay Paul to fund a hockey team?

349046[/snapback]

The connection comes from the comment that there needs to be more trust by the players of the owners. My answer is that in terms of some owners regarding your negotiations with your team maybe yes (I assume the trust is there with an owner like LeMieux in Pittsburgh) and in some cases no (Rigas left Golisano with a lot of work to do and I would not be surprised if his players are still bruised from the experience of negotiating with the felon Rigas since Golisano decided to hire former mouthpiece Larry Quinn who then kept current mouthpiece Darcy Regier.

Even beyond the differences from team to team, the NHLPA correctly has a hard time trusting NHL owners who are demonstrated business idiots for paying the players far more thant they are worth and for puttimg their faith in taking on a Rigas as a fellow owner.

I certainly am not impressed with our elected officials here in WNY for buying a bill of goods from Rigas. I elected them to among other things not get taken by crooks. It is amusing to me that Jim Pitts is probably owed a debt of gratitude by WNY so single-handedly holding up the Adelphis Bldg. deal while he was trying to stick up Rigas for contracts for his buddies. If we had broken ground to build the Adelphia Bldg before the cops knocked on Rigas' door our problems would be even worse.

Feel free to forget Rigas if you want and to claim we are past this and want to move on. However, those who forget the past are destined to repeat it. While you may be happy to drop trou and say thank you sir may i have another, i doubt that the NHL players are as charitable as that and after their experiences with owners who include a number of poor business men who give the players unsustainable contracts to downright felons, trust but verify is the best one will get.

Hockey?  Who cares. The NHL is the minor league of the 4 major sports.  Always has been and always will be.

349388[/snapback]

I care. And those of us who do are happy that idiots like yourself don't "get it" and therefore stay away from our sport. Thanks.

I care.  And those of us who do are happy that idiots like yourself don't "get it" and therefore stay away from our sport.  Thanks.

349389[/snapback]

me too. people who diss hockey have either never watched or played. I've never "gotten into" an NFL playoff game featuring one of the other 31 teams. Never in my life! Whether it be the sabres (my team) or any other team, i'm on the edge of my seat, on the verge of a seizure while i watch an NHL playoff game. There's just something different that can't be explained to someone who hasn't experienced it. I can't wait for the team to get back on the ice. I won't blame miroslav satan or brian campbell or zhitnik (still a UFA, mind you). Buttman and gootenow (sp?) better not show up for a game anytime soon.

The connection comes from the comment that there needs to be more trust by the players of the owners.

349362[/snapback]

But where does Rigas fit into present CBA talks? If you want to talk about lack of trust, then go back to the days of Ted Lindsay and move forward to Alan Eagleson.

Neither side is clean, but if the players don't trust the owners, then they could venture off to Europe again in the fall of 2005.

Funny you should say that because that is exactly what my opinion of baseball is.

349430[/snapback]

LOL. My thoughts exactly. You can throw hoops in with baseball as well.