tight ends in the Super Bowl recently - pretty important players!

dave mcbride

Going back to 2014, it's a very rare Super Bowl in which an elite TE isn't a key difference maker.

2014: NE over Seattle; Gronk has 6 catches for 68 yards and a TD

2015: Denver over Carolina; Not much TE presence (Manning threw for less than 150 yards) although Greg Olsen had an elite season for Carolina that year and was their best receiver on a 15-1 team (he had 4 catches in that game)

2016: NE over ATL; Martellus Bennett has 5 catches for 62 yards and draws what is effectively the game sealing PI in the EZ right before James White scores the winning TD

2017: Philly over NE - tight end-a-palooza: Gronk has 9 catches for 116 yards and 2 TDs and Ertz has 7 catches for 67 yards and a TD (he caught the crucial fourth down conversion throw on Philly's late go-ahead drive and the game winning TD)

2018:  NE over LA; Gronk has 6 catches for 87 yards, including the two big receptions on NE's game winning drive in the fourth; also had two wipeout blocks that sprang Michel and Burkhead both for 26 yard runs on NE's final possession that sealed the game.

2019: Kelce has 6 catches for 43 yards and the game winning TD catch; Kittle has 4 catches for 36 yards

2020: Gronk has 6 catches for 67 yards and 2 TDs and Kelce has 10 catches for 133 yards (one of the only guys who showed up for KC in that game)

2021: the rare game where the TEs didn't matter.

2022: Kelce had 6 catches for 81 yards and a TD; Goedert had 6 catches for 60 yards 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Me? OL, WR, LB. I think they're basically OK on d-line and there are some decent FA options out there. I expect Von to be 100 percent early on. 

I don't know about Von being healthy early on. Given his age and the injury he is coming back from I think the 2nd half of the season for the playoff push is the more likely scenario when he will be out there.

Edited by Gregg

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Going back to 2014, it's a very rare Super Bowl in which an elite TE isn't a key difference maker.

2017: Philly over NE - tight end-a-palooza: Gronk has 9 catches for 116 yards and 2 TDs and Ertz has 7 catches for 67 yards and a TD (he caught the crucial fourth down conversion throw on Philly's late go-ahead drive and the game winning TD)

Don't forget the Philly Special, where the TD throw was made by TIGHT END Trey Burton.

Edited by msw2112
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The other side of this not many names on the list other than Gronk and Kelsey.  Finding that guy is very hard.  There were if I recall either 5 or 6 TE's drafted before Knox, not one of them is still on the team that drafted him, one is now in the Arena League.  Gronk was drafted in2nd round, Kelce 3rd, and Kittle 5th.  Tells me very difficult to predict who that next TE superstar will be.

Kincaid certainly has everything you need on paper but will it work out, hopefully it will.  He isn't the typical TE type so that is in his favor.

I'm fine with the pick, but this whole argument of how we need the star TE IMO is overblown as they are near impossible to find.  So not so sure it's worth trying for.  Hopefully he's the next big star, but if so likely will be due to not being a conventional TE

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

2014: NE over Seattle; Gronk has 6 catches for 68 yards and a TD

2015: Denver over Carolina; Not much TE presence (Manning threw for less than 150 yards) although Greg Olsen had an elite season for Carolina that year and was their best receiver on a 15-1 team (he had 4 catches in that game)

2016: NE over ATL; Martellus Bennett has 5 catches for 62 yards and draws what is effectively the game sealing PI in the EZ right before James White scores the winning TD

2018:  NE over LA; Gronk has 6 catches for 87 yards, including the two big receptions on NE's game winning drive in the fourth; also had two wipeout blocks that sprang Michel and Burkhead both for 26 yard runs on NE's final possession that sealed the game.

2019: Kelce has 6 catches for 43 yards and the game winning TD catch; Kittle has 4 catches for 36 yards

2020: Gronk has 6 catches for 67 yards and 2 TDs and Kelce has 10 catches for 133 yards (one of the only guys who showed up for KC in that game)

2021: the rare game where the TEs didn't matter.

2022: Kelce had 6 catches for 81 yards and a TD; Goedert had 6 catches for 60 yards 

Quicker to type the patriots and chiefs went to the Super Bowl a lot 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.