The Bills never got anything for Edmunds. Will that happen again with Oliver?

Tipster19

Edmunds Hindsight is 20:20. So fast forward…. I’m dying to hear what the armchair GM crowd think the Bills should do about Oliver THIS year? Do you trade him? For a draft pick? Doesn’t that just mean you have TWO glaring defensive holes to fill tonight? I’m more of the camp that says get another cheap year out of him and see what happens then. It’s a new era with a franchise QB under a huge contract. Unless a player is a true standout just about all the other roster positions are going to end up being somewhat more of a revolving door. And Oliver, like Edmunds, is definitely not a true standout.

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were relieved of overpaying him.  Huge bonus.

That is easy to say in the offseason on paper for some Buffalo Bills fans but we will see in 2023 if that is reality. Some Buffalo Bills fans never got Tremaine Edmunds how good of a player he is just complaints what he can’t do this or that but make no mistake Tremaine Edmunds will be missed. You don’t get the money he got to be some nothing bottom roster player that is easy to replace. Tremaine Edmunds adds value to our Bills team he will be missed in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

That is easy to say in the offseason on paper for some Buffalo Bills fans but we will see in 2023 if that is reality. Some Buffalo Bills fans never got Tremaine Edmunds how good of a player he is just complaints what he can’t do this or that but make no mistake Tremaine Edmunds will be missed. You don’t get the money he got to be some nothing bottom roster player that is easy to replace. Tremaine Edmunds adds value to our Bills team he will be missed in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

No one has said that he is a "nothing bottom roster player that is easy to replace".  Why make that argument?

The Bills FO obviously disagrees with you about the value Edmunds added.  Go yell at them instead of "some Buffalo Bills fans".

22 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t agree or liked that the Bills traded up in the 1st rd for Edmunds and then just let him walk without receiving some kind of compensation for him. Now there’s Oliver and as far as I can tell there’s been no movement with him on a new contract. I think it’s crazy that a team would invest a 1st rd pick and then they don’t extend him or get anything back for him. A player and/or a first rd pick, these are assets. There’s times that I think that Beane isn’t too shrewd with the Pegulas’ money. I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

I agree with your points here, generally.  But in football, for some reason, it's common to do this.  Teams use up K term with a player and then indeed let them walk for nothing in exchange.

In hockey, that would never happen, or only happen at a really poorly run team.  But it seems to be common practice at the NFL level.

I agree the Bills SHOULD move on from Oliver--let him go--but get something in return for him!  

We should have traded Edmunds a year ago, and keep his value extending forward instead of starting over from zero.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Edmunds Hindsight is 20:20. So fast forward…. I’m dying to hear what the armchair GM crowd think the Bills should do about Oliver THIS year? Do you trade him? For a draft pick? Doesn’t that just mean you have TWO glaring defensive holes to fill tonight? I’m more of the camp that says get another cheap year out of him and see what happens then. It’s a new era with a franchise QB under a huge contract. Unless a player is a true standout just about all the other roster positions are going to end up being somewhat more of a revolving door. And Oliver, like Edmunds, is definitely not a true standout.

Yes, trade him....for as much as much value as you can get.  I'm not sure what that is, probably not very much.  Maybe a 2nd? 3rd?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree with your points here, generally.  But in football, for some reason, it's common to do this.  Teams use up K term with a player and then indeed let them walk for nothing in exchange.

Yes, trade him....for as much as much value as you can get.  I'm not sure what that is, probably not very much.  Maybe a 2nd? 3rd?

A valid approach. And that’s what makes this so interesting. If you trade him for a draft pick you forfeit his final year on the field are essentially starting over a year early with a new rookie player who may or not prove to be much of anything. Or, you decide to squeeze one more year out of him on what amounts to being a free season. It’s just like a game show. Do you leave with the prizes you e already collected or forfeit it for what’s behind Door #2. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.