Matt Miller (ESPN+) new 7 round mock draft........who would you have selected if it fell this way?

BADOLBILZ

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Problem is.......pretty poor safety class.

Again.........this is why you don't reach for needs..........next year you could find a better safety in round 5 than round 2 this year..........that kinda' stuff happens.

Get the best haul of talent/positional value that you can and address the 2024 needs you fell short of in UFA next offseason.

The quality of safety you could get in round 2 is not likely to be better than Taylor Rapp..........and he signed for $1.7M.     The drop in street value from very good to adequate at safety is precipitous.   Same with slot CB.

All true. But I wasnt necessarily saying we have to find 2 Safeties in this draft. Maybe they move Benford to Safety. But then that opens a hole at CB depth that needs to be filled. Hence another 5th-6th round DB.

But agreed with your post.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All true. But I wasnt necessarily saying we have to find 2 Safeties in this draft. Maybe they move Benford to Safety. But then that opens a hole at CB depth that needs to be filled. Hence another 5th-6th round DB.

But agreed with your post.

The depth at CB in this draft is better than safety, IMO.

Part of Beane's issue is that he's not great at valuing players yet.  Still over-paying and over-investing draft capital.   I believe he is a smart guy and is subsequently getting better as a GM.   In year 10 maybe he's a great GM.   Howie Roseman wasn't the way he is now early in his career either.

The key is not doing too much damage while he's learning on the job.

He's done a lot of that wrt salary cap.   He needs to not waste the value of his draft picks.   Three "Day 2" RB's was absurd.   That stuff adds up.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Quentin Johnston - WR - I still like this kid and think he'll be very good in the NFL.

2. Sam LaPorta - TE - He'd give Knox comp for the starting job.

3. Jaelyn Duncan - T - He'll give Brown some comp.

4. Jordan Battle - S - Like it or not but Safety will be a major need in 2024, might as well get one up to speed.

5. Owen Pappoe - LB - Add a 4th to the battle for Edmunds old job.

6. Best QB available - Paying backups 5+ million a year is a waste, draft a young guy who can play 4 years on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1. Quentin Johnston - WR - I still like this kid and think he'll be very good in the NFL.

4. Jordan Battle - S - Like it or not but Safety will be a major need in 2024, might as well get one up to speed.

6. Best QB available - Paying backups 5+ million a year is a waste, draft a young guy who can play 4 years on the cheap.

Good points.   I am a LaPorta fan.  You patched up some holes (on paper at least) later but I think Battle and Pappoe are probably just special teamers who would go much later in better drafts.  Would like to get some guard talent in the fold.   Takes longer to develop them than secondary and LB(if instinctive) and it's a better guard class than S or off-ball LB, IMO so I like that depth later.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

While I'm not trying to get chippy with you its very easy to list a bunch of guys and say this is who I want in this round without playing out simulations of each round and the needs of teams in front of you. 

I can list 6 players i'd love for each round as well doesn't mean their even going to be there when the Bills are on the clock. 

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

While I'm not trying to get chippy with you its very easy to list a bunch of guys and say this is who I want in this round without playing out simulations of each round and the needs of teams in front of you. 

I can list 6 players i'd love for each round as well doesn't mean their even going to be there when the Bills are on the clock. 

True but this is what we have. No other players were listed other than those the OP mentioned and the ones that were picked.

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yeah you have to have the whole 7 round mock draft from ESPN+ to really see who is available and the exercise is to select the player you'd select in each round if that's how it actually fell.   Of course, changing where one player is selected earlier can change how the rest of the draft goes.   

Looking at the ESPN+ article and seeing who was still available/went shortly after our pick, I'd rather have:

27. Brian Branch, S, Alabama

59. Luke Wypler, C, Ohio St

91. Jayden Reed, WR, MSU

130. Toss Up - Karl Brooks or Moro Ojomo, DT

And then however they want to close out the last 2 picks with likely camp fodder. I like the best QB available idea.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The depth at CB in this draft is better than safety, IMO.

Part of Beane's issue is that he's not great at valuing players yet.  Still over-paying and over-investing draft capital.   I believe he is a smart guy and is subsequently getting better as a GM.   In year 10 maybe he's a great GM.   Howie Roseman wasn't the way he is now early in his career either.

The key is not doing too much damage while he's learning on the job.

He's done a lot of that wrt salary cap.   He needs to not waste the value of his draft picks.   Three "Day 2" RB's was absurd.   That stuff adds up.

Beane's mentee Schoen just paid $8M for one year of A'Shawn Robinson, so the apple/tree/fall thing...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Looking at the ESPN+ article and seeing who was still available/went shortly after our pick, I'd rather have:

27. Brian Branch, S, Alabama

59. Luke Wypler, C, Ohio St

91. Jayden Reed, WR, MSU

130. Toss Up - Karl Brooks or Moro Ojomo, DT

And then however they want to close out the last 2 picks with likely camp fodder. I like the best QB available idea.

Please No Safety that high. We have 3 starters at the position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.